Recommend me a rpg to play

I haven't bought it yet, but based on a wide variety of comments/reviews here, I'd say Witcher EE is going to be the best fit for what you're wanting, purpleblob.

KotOR is obviously Stars Wars sci-fantasy and uses a D20 rule system, so there are (vague) similarities to BG. Jade Empire is Chinese-inspired fantasy and uses a new action-based system, vaguely similar to beat-'em-ups (Mortal Kombat etc).

I'd say both are your best bets for the sort of BioWare party stuff you like, so choose between Stars Wars and Chinese-themed, D&D-like system or action system.

Neither are even close to as good as Bg in my opinion but I did really like the art and some of the creativity in Jade Empire but boy, was it too simplified. The big twist in KotOR that knocks some peoples socks off left me cold, but YMMV.

...The big twist in KotOR that knocks some peoples socks off left me cold, but YMMV.
Lol i was only 10 when i finished KotOR it was my first RPG so you can understand why I liked it sooooo much ,nevertheless if you want something like BG or least something that would remind you of it KotOR would suit you if you want something else then try Gothic

Try Gothic either 1 or 2(vanilla).Dont try Gothic 2 Night of Raven cause its too difficult for someone new to the Gothic world.
I would take this advice with a lot of care, Gothic 2 alone has the problem of being too easy and could let player glue in wrong fighting style, click feast that can bore quite fast. With NOTR the difficulty force learn fighting.

Additionally NOTR change Gothic 2 by adding many details in it that make the game better and it won't be the same gaming experience to replay G2+NOTR after to have play G2. Myself I played G2+NOTR directly and that's a great experience.

Gothic 2 wasn't too easy for a typical gamer.

I would take this advice with a lot of care, Gothic 2 alone has the problem of being too easy and could let player glue in wrong fighting style, click feast that can bore quite fast. With NOTR the difficulty force learn fighting.

Additionally NOTR change Gothic 2 by adding many details in it that make the game better and it won't be the same gaming experience to replay G2+NOTR after to have play G2. Myself I played G2+NOTR directly and that's a great experience.
Ok let me correct that.If you plan to play G2+NOTR directly DONT PLAY AS A MAGE!!!!You are right but just think some casual player trying to play as a mage he will hate gothic and never play again.I myself found G2+NOTR as a mage(having completed vanilla 16 times and G1 5 times ) more difficult than both fallouts and pretty much 90% of all the game I played(maybe its just me)

Thanx for all recommendation... :) It sounds like Kotor or Jade Empire is my best bet after all. As I said before, I will play Witcher when my bf is done with it :) As for Arcanum... I hated it because I always end up as wolf's meal (yes.. I suck at combat).

I think for now I will give it a go with kotor 1 and 2 since my bf has both. If most of you say JE is much better than kotor I was thinking of buying it but since its mixed opinion I will stick with what I have already :)

Few of you have recommended me Div Div. But I thought its Diablo clone? (kinda lost interest in hack fest like IWD and Diablo a long time ago...)

Just wondering... how many hrs did it took you to get to interesting part in Div Div?

I've got 5-6 hours in, and have almost completed the 3rd floor of the dreaded intro dungeon. I got my butt handed to me more than a few times at that point and ended up punting for a while to take another stab at NWN2.

Just wondering... how many hrs did it took you to get to interesting part in Div Div?

Well, I liked the first half-hous, and nearly collapsed from pure exhaustion for a few hours after that ... then it was another ~120 or so glorious hours with many exhausting hours in there as well.

I think for now I will give it a go with kotor 1 and 2 since my bf has both. If most of you say JE is much better than kotor I was thinking of buying it but since its mixed opinion I will stick with what I have already :)

I'm not going to say that Jade Empire is "better" than KotOR, because that simply comes down to personal opinion, but I'm going to say that I think you would like JE more.

You just don't strike me as being into science fiction type stuff, and I already know that you obviously enjoy fantasy fiction.

LOL you seem to see right through me ;) yes I am into more fantasy type rpg and yes I am not a fan of SW. I will try kotor for a few hours and if I don't like it, I will get JE.

how many hrs did it took you to get to interesting part in Div Div?

For me it was almost the opposite. I loved the beginning but lost interest in it later. I guess it is because I did not go into the intro dungeon, but went to explore the world first, there is nothing to force you to do the first dungeon before you do other stuff. But my game got bugged because of that, and things happend out of order, so I guess it is also part of the reason I didn't like it.

As for the later parts, they are not what the developer wanted, as I know most of the guys who developed this game in person I know that they ran out of money and could not finish it the way they wanted.

I am seeing some very cheap copies of Div Div at Amazon. Starting from £1.00 going up to £10 with quite a few at just £3.
I would like to know if this is a party based game or that it at least has a satisfying character building system.
This thread is good for me also having never played anything outside of M&M 7+8 and Wizardry 8.

DivDiv was meant to be a mix between Ultima 7 and Diablo.

I am looking at the screenshots for gothic 2 and it looks great. Never touched the series, but i am going to try this.
I see that there are 3 with the 4th still to come.

Tell though. Is Gothic Universe something entirely different or is it part of this series ?

Gothic Universe was last year's Christmas collection. It includes Gothic 1- 3 and G2 Night of the Raven. The only problem, with all later G2 releases, is that you no longer have the option to install G2 vanilla. G2 Gold is installed without asking.

The main hook for Universe was that a lot of fans bought it because it was the first major distribution of the first Gothic. The original publisher was rather uneffective. Thus many fans were struggleing to get the first Gothic.

Back
Top Bottom