Daggerdale - Now Available

Dhruin

SasqWatch
From Atari:
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: DAGGERDALE
NOW AVAILABLE

D&D Title Hacks and Slashes its way to Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360
and Windows PC Retail

Los Angeles, CA — May 25, 2011 — The original standard for fantasy roleplaying is taking another step in its storied pop culture history as the Dalelands of the Forgotten Realms is brought to life for gamers and fantasy enthusiasts across the world. Atari, one of the world’s most recognized publishers and producers of interactive entertainment and Bedlam Games announced today the release of the highly anticipated Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC.

Media have rallied around Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale’s console based hack and slash qualities in the RPG genre:

• “Daggerdale is a hack and slash loot fest…” – G4

• “At its heart, Daggerdale is all about dungeon crawling, baddie-bashing, and loot-scoring – and I don't mean that in a derogatory way...” – RPGFan

• “Upon the lofty pedestal, you discover an ancient artifact known as the controller…” – GamesRevolution

• “…the way Dungeons & Dragons was always meant to be played.” - GamePro

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale, a hack and slash action role playing game set in the deep mythology of the Forgotten Realms, is the first Dungeons & Dragons video game for connected consoles. Players are summoned by a mysterious mage and given the duty of defending their homeland as Rezlus, an evil Zhentarim Cleric looks to bring the power of the Black Lord Bane to Daggerdale. Restore order to the Dalelands by unlocking the secrets of the Mines of Tethyamar, defeating the evil within the treacherous Tower of the Void, leading to the final confrontation with Rezlus himself.

Players can take on the role of the melee expert Human Fighter, the quick and nimble Elven Rogue, the master of the arcane arts Halfling Wizard, and the powerful divine Dwarven Cleric. Gamers use intuitive pick-up-and-play combat combined with a wide assortment of weapons, feats and powers to defeat a wide range of deadly enemies. Players can level their character, unlocking three tiers of powers, and an extensive list of feats to create a truly unique character. As the player levels, they can add additional attribute points to their ability scores, further enhancing the performance of the character. The action-packed RPG gameplay allows for solo and co-op play for up to four players.

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale carries a suggested Windows PC retail price of $14.99 and is available on XBLA for 1200 Microsoft Points.

Link to Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-6ipE8W3G0
More information.

“…the way Dungeons & Dragons was always meant to be played.” ????

Really? Are they f-king joking? D&D has always been a cerebral game for me, a game where you used your imgaination and a lot of thinking to play. I have nothing against hacknslash, but there are better games for that…

Last edited:
"Daggerdale is a hack and slash loot fest..."

Is that supposed to be a good thing? It sounds like something I'd normally take as a criticism, but obviously this game isn't for me.

The review is certainly not kind.

"Some of the tabletop game's terminology and a few superficial concepts show up in Daggerdale, but the rest has been sacrificed to create a monotonous, hideously buggy hack-and-slash RPG."

I think I will pass my turn...

The reviews are so negative. They botched the release and only have it at retail stores, despite it being a budget title and much more suited for digital distribution (which comes at the end of June?).

I dunno, I was interested, but if they don't fix all the bugs before the PC digital launch date, I'm passing. :p

Too bad. I thought it might be a fun game to play on my Xbox, nothing deep, but at least fun to kick back and play.

Bugginess is the one thing I can't stand though.

Yeah too bad. I was willing to try it even though it does take a dump on what D&D was all about. It's just a game. Maybe in six months.

yea D&D is an action game now!!!

Terrible, not going to go anywhere near this. This feels like a black mark on the world of D&D

How much longer will Atari have the rights to make D&D games? The sooner someone else gets a shot at a D&D game the better.

If this game is really as bad as it sounds Atari could lose the rights to make D&D games since usually if the licensor tarnishes the reputation of the rights owner the rights can be lost and returned to the owner. That is a standard part of a contract like this so unless WOTC screwed up the contract this could be the end of Atari making D&D games.

I think it's also the question what WOTC might want … Anyone remember the 4th Edition ?

Or in other words : Daggerdale might be EXACTLY what WOTC wants …

Which would be even worse, of course …

Even when boiled down to its core combat mechanics, D&D is cerebral, challenging, intense, and infinitely rewarding. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale is just a game about hitting monsters until treasure falls out of them.

Why ? Isn't ANY Action-RPG about NOTHING BUT that ?

They botched the release and only have it at retail stores

Actually they screwed that up too-wasn't at any stores on launch day. A couple people around the country found a copy here or there but for the most part it was a no show.

Bad developer aside, Atari really has become a horrible publisher and I wouldn't hold my breath for patches either

I played both dark alliance and both champions of norrath games on my ps2 and they were pretty good. I ordered the pc version and was planning on getting the ps3 version. I normally don't read and don't really care about reviews. But bugs is definitely an area that can bring a game from good to unplayable. But a buggy game on release really isn't anything new is it? Unfortunately we live in a release now patch later world. I am just afraid that there wont be any patches.

The crazy thing I am reading in the official forums is that the handful of people who actually located a PC copy find they have a Steam game that re-downloads the game after they already installed it. So, it is for Steam but you can't get it off Steam yet. Idiotic.

At it's heart D&D has always been hack'n'slash'n'loot in every edition. Sure you can do a lot more with it but that's what the rules are almost entirely about.

As as for steam and installing games it always seems to do the "I install it via disk and then steam downloads the whole damn thing again" for me.

It looks like it's trying to cash in on the anticipation for Diablo 3. Which is ok I guess, cause I quite like mindless hack & slash games. But does anybody know what the PC controls are like? Is it point & click like Diablo?

"Even when boiled down to its core combat mechanics, D&D is cerebral, challenging, intense, and infinitely rewarding. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale is just a game about hitting monsters until treasure falls out of them"

Sounds like they are really running out of imagination.

Back
Top Bottom