Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Active Skill Tree

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The active skill tree of Wolcen has been improved and they made a video to show it.

And as far as updates go, they had this to say:

We are still working on the Beta transition, you can track our progression on the latest Trello Roadmap.
Each week the status of the tasks are updated, you will also find there a weekly update on the game's progression, for the Beta and the final release.

This week, we finalized the new Passive Skill Tree for the Beta and we are currently testing it, along with a "mercenary mode" that will be available for the Beta. This mode will allow you to explore the Act I environments and slash Act I creatures, with various objectives and awesome rewards upon completion.
We are now working on the second game mode that will be available for higher challenges, we will tell you more about this mode later.

Finally, we know you're waiting for this transition, we are working hard to make it happen as soon as possible, so hold on just a little longer, we're getting close!
More information.

It's the most promising of the Diablo clones. It's almost as good as Anthem in terms of visceral moment-to-moment gameplay.

It's not clear how much content it will have or how much progression is in there, but from what I've seen it's looking good.

I've been seeing pretty much constant updates for this game for the past three to four years, I keep hoping that they'll complete it one of these days so I can finally check it out. I don't regret sponsoring this one at all as of yet, at least their effort is totally undeniable.

It's been a long time in development and at one point I was afraid it had been abandoned. But they seem to have really knuckled down and are working hard on it now. I'm really looking forward to it and I hope it releases this year.

It's the most promising of the Diablo clones. It's almost as good as Anthem in terms of visceral moment-to-moment gameplay.

It's not clear how much content it will have or how much progression is in there, but from what I've seen it's looking good.

I does look the most promising. Path of Exile went completely off the reservation in difficulty and I unfortunately lost interest after the 3rd expansion. I hope these designers take note of the progression model of Diablo 2. Diablo 3 was far too easy. Diablo 2 was just right for someone wanting to play the game without becoming a Diablo crack addict. A challenging game without requiring min/max precision on the first pass.

i don't know if it's the most promising, the best arpg around at the moment is grim dawn imo. I bought wolcen many months ago and i 've seen little progress and without a clear direction. All these updates are about a beta delayed 2 or 3 times because they have to refine and rework it every single time (what's the point of an ea beta then? Just release it, take the feedback and refine on the road.) i'm waiting to actually play all promised features to give some kind of opinion. Hope for the best.

I tried Grim Dawn a few times and the setting wasn’t resonating with me. Not sure why exactly. I generally like post apocalyptic

It's been a long time in development and at one point I was afraid it had been abandoned. But they seem to have really knuckled down and are working hard on it now. I'm really looking forward to it and I hope it releases this year.
It feels lilke a long time because the game went right to early access after being funded. It was no more then a tech demo that was slowly developed into the current beta.

It's only been four years and the roadmap shows it's not close to release.

Last edited:
Yeah I would completely agree about the "not even close" to being released part. I do look forward to playing it sometime, but I realize that, for me, that won't be anytime soon. Which is fine, I've still holiday games that I haven't touched as of yet!!!

Yeah I would say another 2-3 years before its finished.:(

I tried Grim Dawn a few times and the setting wasn’t resonating with me. Not sure why exactly. I generally like post apocalyptic

Grim Dawn is great if you don't care about the actual gameplay of the genre.

Objectively, I'd say PoE is probably the best current game in this genre - but it can't hold a candle to Diablo 3 in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay.

Diablo 3 is shallow when compared to both of those, but it feels a million times better to actually play - and it wins out for me because of the absurdly rich arsenal of powers.

Unfortunately, there's no "ultimate" game here. Last time we had that was probably Diablo 2 LoD - which was superior to all other contenders at the time.

My own personal favorite was always Hellgate London - but it unfortunately died.

Wolcen could become the ultimate game - but that's far from certain at this point.

Also, personally, I've become fond of the looter shooter genre - and though it tends to have less depth, I'm very big on the moment-to-moment gameplay and I consider it the foundation of all these games. Ever since Hellgate, I've felt that the traditional isometric Diablo clone has been fundamentally surpassed.

Unfortunately, there's no "ultimate" game here. Last time we had that was probably Diablo 2 LoD - which was superior to all other contenders at the time.
That's probably the only statement I've read that would have any chance of consensus in the Diablo community. :) Grim Dawn all the way for me but to each their own.

I picked up Wolcen as soon as they hit Early Access. Played it for a few hours and thought they had something with some potential. Guess it's about time to fire it up again and see how far they've come since I don't really see this as a must wait until it's completed type of game.

Wolcen basically completely redid the entire game recently. The Beta tech demo was actually VERY impressive. It played really well, looked as good as Diablo 3 and had a lot of interesting ideas and polish.

They are taking a very long time to release the beta but at the same time the community is pretty harsh to them so they know it needs to be a solid beta not just barely a beta.

Last Epoch is also looking like it could be a very very good game. All skills in that game have full on skill trees and it plays well. Problem it has right now is that for some reason the starting are of the game is really quote dull in a dark cave. The Alpha setting was actually far more interesting.

The next couple years could be a very interesting time for ARPGS with the ongoing devlopment of POE, expansion for Grim Dawn, Wolcen, Last Epoch and Wahammer: Chaosbane. There are rumors of a Titan Quest 2 as well.

My personal rankings would be Grim Dawn, POE, Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 a very distant fourth.

Diablo 3 is quite an awful game really, despite having visceral combat , excellent animations and ragdolls and graphics. But the core gameplay is just so completely awful.

We will eventually get a Diablo IV, but with Kotick firmly in control at Blizzard now there is like zero chance it will be any good at all.

Wolcen though, despite an absurdly long development cycle could be special.

Back
Top Bottom