Winter Voices - Interview @ Core-RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Forum member m00n1ight notified me of a interview on his site Core-RPG with Winter Voices developer Kévin Lehénaff.. Seems the developer will be doing a new kickstarter.

While we're on the subject of the second season — you promised to start the Kickstarter-campaign at the beginning of the year, but it was delayed somehow. Were there any unforeseen problems?

Yes, quite a lot of problems ! Starting a kickstarter when you are in France (or any country other than USA and UK) is a real pain, as you need to either create a company in the USA, or ask someone to handle the kickstarter for you there. Things are progressing very slowly and there is a lot of legal concern to be taken care of. Right now the production of Winter Voices 2 is on hold. We finished pre-production in January. We will begin the production once we have a set schedule. In the meanwhile, we are working on different things, like the kickstarter prizes. Some of them are actually a lot of work ! The book of the Season 1 for example will be something like 200-250 pages long, 50% of it being reworked texts of winter voices, the other 50% are original texts. For all this to work as a real book, I need to rethink a lot of things - which is taking longer than expected.
More information.

Thanks, Couch! It's a bit strange that almost nobody wrote about this game.

I'm sad to say I completely forgot about the game with the amount of news I posted in the last few years. I do know we have a few members who enjoyed the game.

I also didn't know the developer was making a second game, or even thinking of doing a new kickstarter to fund it. So thank you for the interview, and new information.:thanks:

First time I hear about this game. Looks really interesting.

The game is very interesting.

But it is written in Flash (and not by the most experienced devs), which really shows. The tech is pretty bad, as are the controls. I seriously hope part II will use something else.

It is also one huge wall of text. So if you want a combat fest, or don't like reading sometimes very depressing texts and heavy topics (rape, suicide, dreams, it is all there), this game is not for you.
To be honest, I could not finish it. After 7 hours or so I just longed for something less depressing ;)

The art style is beautiful, though (I think) and the combat system is truly unique (or can you name another RPG with purely defensive abilities where the only goal is survival/reaching a spot alive?) and well done.
And there is definite replay value with different stories and builds.

I would definitely play a sequel if it is has higher production values.

Finally a unique art style. They could dress this a little bit more towards combat oriented, but that requires lots of work. Writing and hiring a talented concept artist - they were lucky - is a lot easier apparently.

This shows on the screenshots, the graphics artists and people responsible for art direction had nowhere the awesome talent of the painter who did the amazing concept arts… They couldn't even transport the paintings feel into the 2D flash game world, it turned out so mediocre.

If somehow by telepathic induction that artist could transfer his/her talents into the minds of the graphics team, this game would be a blockbuster indie title. (dream on)

Updated interview with one more question:

We would like to ask one more question, about the Norns. What can you say about this mystic theme — is it one of the main threads of the story or is it just a bonus of some kind, not related to the big picture? And if the former is true, will you continue this line in the second season?

Among all the myths and stories that you can read and learn about in the Land of the Three Rivers, the Norns are the most widely accepted and known. Everyone there knows about the Norns.

By the way, the name "Winter Voices" comes from the title of a book the heroine might find in the game, in the season 2. This is a strange book of legends, and Norns are the core of it.

A lot of characters in the game are actually faces of different Norns. For example, the black maid is most likely a figure of Skuld. The black maid is, in my opinion, the most important character in the whole kingdom, in the whole century. You will learn a little more about her in the second season.

In the end, I suppose that Winter Voices couldn't exist without the Norns, as they are litterally *everywhere* in the game.

Back
Top Bottom