A rant - RPG's of the modern age

Missile simulator on cathode ray tube amusement device.
Lousy graphics and a bit too actiony but solid on choices and consequences.
They don´t make them like that anymore :sick:.

My sincerest apologies to xSamhainx and all for not replying sooner...due to the festive break and a recent bearevement in the family I have not been in front of a computer much recently.

I hope that you have enjoyed this debate, I am certainly suprised by your replies. I realise that each gaming experience is unique, or at least should be (I remember hating my C64 for not letting me past the fifth screen of Exon) and I also appreciate that my defintion of a serial is an addon pack for which money is proffered for little content (Gothic II - night of the raven should be excluding I think lol).

I missed out on the classic RPGs even though I am old enough to have played them (dam those detentions). Balders Gate did not really work for me, not sure why, maybe I should go back and try it now I have a little more appreciation of RPGs?

To Dhruin - yes I did some beat testing for X3 and indeed X2, I hope that doesn't count against me on these forums?

The first game review I ever wrote was for X2. Those games are quite popular here!! :)

No - indeed, the opposite. I've been a fan of the series since X:BTF and bought every single iteration since. I've lost uncountable hours to them.

I heard a lot of fans still like X:BTF the best.

Have you by chance played it on WinXP or a newer OS?

I was just a regular non-Egosoft tester for the beta versions. Xbtf got me hooked and X2 took up vast chunks of my life, PhD, etc. I too was not as impressed by X3 and we did petition Egosoft not to release until more modifications were made, but hey Publishers call the shots in this industry. Not been back to Xbtf since, maybe worth a reboot?

Yes, X-Tension was the best in my opinion, considering the release era. These days, X3: Terran Conflict with the 2.5 upgrade is pretty good. The series never nailed combat in the same way as, say, Freespace 2 but the range of options is compelling for me.

Back
Top Bottom