Kingmaker - Releasing September 25th

If I wasn't already hyped, that trailer would change my mind.
Lawful evil finally again, I'm coming!

Looking forward to this too... but man, how does everyone stay on top of all these games these days? I just finished Witcher 3 a few months ago and am hoping to get to DoS 2 by year's end. I expect to be playing this in a year or two (always something to look forward to!).

That trailer isn't too promising, to be honest. It looks sort of... barren and clean when I compare it to PoE 2 - which is hard to avoid. Also, every video and trailer I've seen - so far - makes it look a little slow and clunky.

The exaggerated art style is also a little off-putting, I find.

Oh well, still going to try it out.

I don't really need to stay on top of too many releases, I've learned not to rush into them anyways for the most part. Typically, I'll wait two to four months now after release before delving, there are some exceptions but, allowing for patches and updates seems to be a wise choice these days.

I don't really need to stay on top of too many releases, I've learned not to rush into them anyways for the most part. Typically, I'll wait two to four months now after release before delving, there are some exceptions but, allowing for patches and updates seems to be a wise choice these days.

Being behind by a longer time period like I am (really, it is often 1 to 2 years) also means I'm often paying less for the games at that point (though that isn't my reason why... I can only play so many games a year and I'm slowly falling further an further behind).

… I can only play so many games a year and I'm slowly falling further an further behind).

Same here. I'm a heavy PC and XB1 gamer, and my backlog keeps growing; I'm at least a couple of years behind. However, that doesn't stop me from supporting games on Kickstarter, preordering commercial releases when there is an incentive to do so, and purchasing old games during Steam sales... games I don't have time to play. I guess part of my impulse to so is because there was a time ~20 years ago when good games were so few and far between that I would go through serious gaming withdrawal… not a problem any more.

That trailer isn't too promising, to be honest. It looks sort of… barren and clean when I compare it to PoE 2 - which is hard to avoid. Also, every video and trailer I've seen - so far - makes it look a little slow and clunky.

Yeah, the trailer don't give away that much detail or look flashy but I didn't find the game play slow nor clunky. I'm getting serious itch to just start a new game in beta again.

I'll never understand why an RPG with deep/intricate systems would put out a trailer like this. For all you know after watching this, it could be a shovelware Diablo clone.

The kind of thing they should be showing, for games like this, is 22 seconds and onwards in Felipepe's Age of Decadence trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSV1ei6OjY

Because they don't know how to do marketing?
That's probably my first guess also as it's a small Russian developer. :nod:

Hiring a PR & Marketing firm would of been a good idea, but it cost money. OwlCat probably couldn't afford to waste money on other aspects except development.

Not making excuses for why just stating my opinion.^^

Last edited:
I was negative about it before release, ironically.

Well it's true that Deadfire trailer is pretty good, much better suited for this type of game.

I found Deadfire much better than expected, even given the trailer which I don't remember thinking was anything special.

Here's hoping Kingmaker plays better than the trailer, but it's not a big deal for me - as the genre in itself isn't really "my thing" anymore. It's just a pleasant diversion that I can usually have a lot of fun with.

Now, if it had coop MP - that would be another matter ;)

I backed this one, so I hope it's halfway polished upon release. I'm not in a hurry to play this, as I've got enough other stuff to play.

One of my fears with this game is that it may turn into some kind of endless DLC stream, in case it does fine commercially. Of course, I have to like it first for this to become an issue.

That trailer isn't too promising, to be honest. It looks sort of… barren and clean when I compare it to PoE 2 - which is hard to avoid. Also, every video and trailer I've seen - so far - makes it look a little slow and clunky.

This echoes my initial feelings about it. I haven't been following this game for some reason (I tend to keep up on new releases but had given up on KS when this game was announced), but the "idea" of it sounds good. Pathfinder is a great rule-set. I need more BG-style games in my life.

Other than the generally sterile/generic first impression, how much involvement did Avellone actually have in this game? I respect his skills as a writer and narrative designer. If he's the "chief" writer/designer I'm definitely more interested.

This echoes my initial feelings about it. I haven't been following this game for some reason (I tend to keep up on new releases but had given up on KS when this game was announced), but the "idea" of it sounds good. Pathfinder is a great rule-set. I need more BG-style games in my life.

Other than the generally sterile/generic first impression, how much involvement did Avellone actually have in this game? I respect his skills as a writer and narrative designer. If he's the "chief" writer/designer I'm definitely more interested.

I have no idea how involved Avellone was in the development of the game.

I'm the opposite, though. I don't care for his writing style - and I'd prefer a game without his input.

That said, story isn't everything to me - and especially not in a game of this kind, so it won't be a big problem regardless.

Avellone is overrated, and he steals credit for many projects that he barely worked on.

Back
Top Bottom