Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - CPT Patch Coming

That's funny. Seen on a map like that Nordmar looks quite manageable, and not the impossible hellhole I actually found it to be...

I played a mage, so at that point I rained fire all over the place.

Nordmar's biggest hassle was the fact that it often required long walks because it mainly consisted of mountains, rifts and caves. I remember standing on the top of a mountain, seeing another mountain where my quest target is - while cursing the game for not having a "levitate" spell.

It was extremely hard to navigate. Everything looked the same and was generally hidden in fog, and the crags and valleys meant that your goal might be directly above or below you for all you know...

Yeah, while I actually enjoyed Varant (which felt like a breath of fresh air after the repetitiveness of Myrtana), Nordmar was just very annoying on the whole and monsters there where so hard to kill that it was painful to navigate without being dead and that really you basically HAD to go there late in the game because of this which is a shame since well Xardas' tower is there.

(To be fair though when I replayed it with the CP a few month ago, it didn't felt that hard in term of combat - harder than Myrtana, but definitly manageable. Which allowed me to see Xardas very early in the game at least).

-Sergorn

I made the mistake of going to Nordmar first when I played G3, and I think that was a major reason why I got burned out before I could finish the game. Even though G3 is non-linear, I think it works out a lot better to go to Varant first.

Nordmar isn't too bad early game if you run past most of the monsters to the Clans, get the teleporter stones so you can get around, then get that dog (can't remember the name) to take you on the last leg to Xardas' tower.

I love going to Nordmar early in the game.It's the only place where you get the feeling of constant danger and unrest that you got in G1's Orc Land or VoM in G2.

I went there in my first playthrough after a couple of midland towns and constantly got my ass handed to me but kept trying cause I wanted to get to the monastery. Navigation was nearly impossible with Viewing Distance set to low and that's partly the reason I never found the Fire Clan in my 1st playthrough. Things are infinitely better now. Nordmar is hands down the most atmospheric location in G3.

Varant was just awfully boring and flat.

I'm sure that when all the content patches and Story projects are finished Nordmar will turn into my favorite RPG location.

Just my $0.02

Nordmar isn't too bad early game if you run past most of the monsters to the Clans, get the teleporter stones so you can get around, then get that dog (can't remember the name) to take you on the last leg to Xardas' tower.

I never found that dog on my first playthrough - I basically wandered aimlessly in Nordmad trying to find out where Xardas' tower was in relation to the map and eventually found it on dumb luck after hours of gruesome wandering.

I actually think putting Xardas in such a remote and hard to find location is one of G3's big mistake - Gothic 3 doesn't have much of a plotline to follow wich is annoying to being with, but at least talking to Xardas early does give you a sense of purpose and a goal to accomplish.

On my first playthrough I found Xardas so late in the game that I had all the talismans already and had like a couple of hours of gameplay left to finish the game after finding him. Highly underwhelming. Meh.

-Sergorn

I always laugh when people call Xardas' strange house a "tower". A real tower needs more than just two stories inside!

The trouble with G3:FG wasn't only that it was severely broken and placed on top of a semideleted Gothic 3, it was also awful and uninteresting in terms of story. I do not think you can repair it, even if it was bugfree.

It reminds me of my final review for the CE of Dungeon Lords ... the final realization that no patching could repair that game to a state beyond mediocre.

Forsaken Gods is a mediocre game even to the core, made by folks without a solid understanding of the Gothic games, released in an abysmal state ... and I doubt it could manage to rise above being even bad.

how was it a hellhole
It was a extremely low visibility maze, which exploited the z axis, narrow passages and hidden pathways.

Also it was made by one of the best geo-architecture design teams in the computer gaming world. ;)

I don't think I could care any less about this game.

I'm curious, wasn't this made by some developer in India? Or did I dream that horrible idea?

Patch? And at this point, too? Why bother?
I don't think any patch is going to convince me to buy FG.

I love going to Nordmar early in the game.It's the only place where you get the feeling of constant danger and unrest that you got in G1's Orc Land or VoM in G2.

This. It's possibly the only area where I thought "Hey, this is like Gothic!"
It was also the only one with interesting landscape.

I don't think I could care any less about this game.

I'm curious, wasn't this made by some developer in India? Or did I dream that horrible idea?

Yes, I think they are called Trine. Did a crap job with some other contract stuff for JoWood as well, though it's hard to tell if they are inherently bad or they just get cheap jobs with no chance of success.

Gonna play it. Well at least try. I uninstalled it after 15 minutes first time around. It was laughable but if they patch it up, fix some of the voice acting (doubtful), it'll maybe be worth a shot.

Regarding Nordmar, the second time around I went there straight away and enjoyed the game a bit for it. Great design.

I don't know if/how they will fix the voice acting. Some of the dialogue is voiced by the wrong person for example. And playing through with latest patch 1.089 they still had the bug in Vengard where instead of talking, one of the characters barked.

I guess it depends if the correct sound files exist but aren't being used for whatever reason. I can't imagine they will re-hire the voice actors, so it may just be some lines end up not being spoken, or are voiced by a CPT member (thanks but no thanks).

Back
Top Bottom