CD Projekt RED - Explains Cyberpunk Trademark

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Eurogamer CD Projekt explain why they are trademarking Cyberpunk.

"Life knows quite a few examples of companies registering marks similar to well-known marks, and then trying to sell them for big money," the company said.

"Should we ever decide to create a sequel, there's a possibility of someone telling us we can't name it, say, Cyberpunk 2078 or Cyberpunk 2.

"Moreover, if someone else registered this trademark in the future, they could prohibit CD Projekt from making any expansions to the game, any additional titles under the name Cyberpunk. The reason for our registration is to protect us from unlawful actions of unfair competitors."

CD Projekt's ownership of the Cyberpunk trademark does not give it any exclusivity to set a game in a certain environment, or in a certain genre, such as the cyberpunk genre. But what if a developer is working on a game that includes the word cyberpunk in its title?

CD Projekt said it would only block this if it could confuse customers.

"If someone names their game John Smith: Adventures in a Cyberpunk Dystopian Society, or 20 Short Video Games set in Cyberpunk Worlds, none of them should be treated as an infringement on our rights," CD Projekt said.
[...]
More information.

errrr you didn't read it did you?

The word "cyberpunk" was coined by William Gibson and popularized in his book Neuromancer.

Its like if some modem company came along and tried to trademark "robotics", a word made up by Isaac Asimov.

The truth is, I bet the good Canadian author has an argument for going beyond trademark and copyrighting the word.

Also, there is this:

Cyberpunk2020.jpg

They only trademarked using Cyberpunk in the title of video games to avoid causing confusion with their own Cyberpunk titled game(s).

Going by the examples given as fine in the interview, they aren't going to go crazy like Bethesda was on Scrolls.

And you haven't read the whole interview either Lucky. Jezzz people are offering opinions without knowing what they opinionate about...

And you haven't read the whole interview either Lucky. Jezzz people are offering opinions without knowing what they opinionate about…

Ha, come off your mountain! I made sure I read the whole article before posting just in case you would say that.

The best CD Projekt should be able to do is trademark the complete phrase "Cyberpunk 2077" for video games and that's it. If Gibson doesn't mind, and I would think this was the big concern a few groups were concerned about and why they chose a different name or a derivative (save for the publisher above).

GURPS_Cyberpunk.JPG

update: "Cyberpunk" was coined by Bruce Bethke; William Gibson invented the term "Cyberspace".

Last edited:
Ha, come off your mountain! I made sure I read the whole article before posting just in case you would say that.

The best CD Projekt should be able to do is trademark the complete phrase "Cyberpunk 2077" for video games and that's it. If Gibson doesn't mind, and I would think this was the big concern a few groups were concerned about and why they chose a different name or a derivative (save for the publisher above).

GURPS_Cyberpunk.JPG

That's like saying Piranha Bytes owns everything related to word Gothic…which existed a long, long while before the series.

They acquired trademark registrations which were previously owned by R.Talsorian games who published Cyberpunk 2020 by Mike Pondsmith and who is now working with CDPR on 2077.
It's a matter of protecting their brand name, not saying We invented/own Cyberpunk! and everything related to it.
Trademarking Cyberpunk 2077 would make no sense…how likely is it they would make another game with the same name?

Its like the term Windows which Microsoft almost lost. Its too vague a term - they should not have been given it.

I am looking at the USPTO right now and I am shocked but not surprised they gave it to R. Talsorian Games, Inc. in 2011. I see he claimed the TM as well in his 1988 PnP RPG.

To be clear they made sure the trademark Cyperbpunk 2077 which was registered. But their latest file in 2012 is still open for opposition.
---
Funny, I'm trying to find the trademark for the Gothic video games and I'm having trouble (they list 149 records but I can't seem to show more than 50).

Most trademarks are something derivative of Gothic (i.e. American Gothic) and not Gothic itself. The first thing I think of re: Gothic when it comes to legal ownership is the font.

--

Bruce Bethke's original short story Cyberpunk! circa 1980 with the story behind it.

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/cpunk.htm

This website dates to 1997 and shows it! I am still looking for his 1989 unpublished novelization of it. Check wikipedia for the story of why it went unpublished - it s pretty shocking.

Last edited:
So it begins…

This is a complete nonissue, and only ignorants with no understanding of trademark law are throwing a hissy fit about it.

Absolutely. Silliness beyond belief!
Let's say they didn't. On Monday (or a year from now) some trademark vulture, trademarks it and sends a polite letter to CDPR telling them that they are infringing their copy right. So please pay us 2 million dollars or cease and desist.
It's all in the frigging article. Read it before you yap.

What's ridiculous is American trademark laws led to allow trademark Windows, Apple, and other crap. That's what is ridiculous, the system.

What's ridiculous is American trademark laws led to allow trademark Windows, Apple, and other crap. That's what is ridiculous, the system.

Exactly. Its a rubber stamp office - as long as your paperwork is in order the US gov't is glad to take your money.

A hundred years ago the country was so sick of the Robber Barons and their monopolies Teddy Roosevelt was elected and the courts paved the way for men like Henry Ford to give us Model-T's by ruling against frivolous patents.

Worse, in this case someone is trying to steal a property that doesn't belong to them. Its not like the Siroteks stealing Wizardry from Woodhead and Greenberg but its clearly overreach.

And as some in other forums point out, if this were EA or another such company they hate they would be all over this. Instead, because this is CD Project is such a great company that doesn't play corporate games or shenanigans they get a free pass thanks to their "reasonable explanation".

Billy_Idol_-_Cyberpunk_-Reissue-_-_2006.jpg

Its like the term Windows which Microsoft almost lost. Its too vague a term - they should not have been given it.
I remember when Microsoft went after a lot of apps that used the name Windows. I have used Windows Commander for years as a file manager, and they had to change the name to Total Commander.
http://www.ghisler.com/name.htm
I think a lot of that was brought on due to the Lindows Linux distribution when they were sued by Microsoft around that time and settled, costing Microsoft around $20 million to have the Lindows trademark transferred. Lindows changed their name to Linspire.

It is worth pointing out that what CDProjekt RED is doing here is consistent with the way American trademark law operates, as the examples of "Apple" and "Windows" demonstrate. There's nothing unusual about companies trademarking the central elements of their brand names, even when those central elements are standard English words. CDProjekt RED is simply doing what companies do given the legal regime under which they live. It isn't fair to slam them for that as though they were doing something unusually nefarious. (It would be fair to single them out for criticism if they tried to abuse their trademark in cases where no brand confusion was likely, as Bethesda did with the "Scrolls" trademark.)

If you have an issue with trademark law, criticize the law. Don't blame companies for doing what they have to do to protect their branding plans under the law as written.

Did you not read what Xian pointed out? Microsoft almost lost a case over Windows - they settled for $20m to keep the judge from making a decision if the company promised to change the name. Of course, Walmart was involved in this. They were largely trying to squeeze MS for a cheaper license.

Also, Apple had to make a sizeable settlement with the Beatles - twice.

The Apple case was unusual. Trademarks don't cover any use of the trademarked term, only ones that are likely to create brand confusion. Apple's trademark did not cover uses in music, which was originally not a problem for them because they were a computer company and there was no crossover with Apple Music. Then iTunes came along and suddenly two trademarks that had previously been in different industries and thus not considered confusable came into conflict. Hence the settlement with the Beatles.

I'm not familiar with the Windows settlement, but I'd guess that Microsoft was trying to do something like Bethesda -- claiming wide coverage for the mark in cases where there actually was no possibility of brand confusion. In such cases, yes, the abuser should be smacked down. But that's an issue of trying to enforce a trademark claim inappropriately, not a problem with the trademark itself existing.

Back
Top Bottom