Obsidian Entertainment - Josh Sawyer's Game Disco Elysium Like?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wccftech reports on a rumour about Josh Sawyer's next game for Obsidian.

Per Grubb, Josh Sawyer's next game, codenamed Project Missouri, is more of an experimental project being worked on with a relatively small team. It seems Sawyer may be taking some notes from Disco Elysium, as the new project is said to be a murder mystery RPG, with a focus on character building and interactions and player choice. In fact, the game likely won't have any combat at all. The game's setting definitely diverges from Disco Elysium though, as it's said to take place in 16th century Europe.

[...]
More information.

Yeah shared this yesterday I'm inclined to believe it's true. :nod:

As most of the info available on the internet shows he has been working with a small team on a secret pet project of his for a few years already. It sounds good.

Though I'll wait for more concrete information and game-play to make a judgment call.

Seems Disco Elysium Like can now considered a new genre. As another game called Sovereign Syndicate was announced a few mouths back is similar as well.

I would prefer to see elements and features of Disco Elysium in normal rpgs instead of this push for a new genre, just fragmenting everything even more.

Not sure his got the right skills set for such a project, hope i'm wrong. Quest narrative of Poe 2 and whole story wasn't my favourite thing to say the least.

I would prefer to see elements and features of Disco Elysium in normal rpgs instead of this push for a new genre, just fragmenting everything even more.

Yeah, I rolled my eyes when I saw "Disco Elysium Like". I'm not really interested in more text-heavy adventure games labeled as RPGs.

We'll see what the game actually entails. I wouldn't derive too much from it being called "Disco Elysium-like". Lazy comparisons to other games (or movies, or books, or whatever) are a timeworn tradition.

Well, this might be alright with me. Since for whatever reason Obsidian seems to be allergic to turn-based combat, I'd probably prefer no combat.

I simply couldn't bring myself to play Disco Elysium... the absolute lack of combat in an RPG is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not saying Disco Elysium maybe isn't a great game for a lot of people... just not me.

I simply couldn't bring myself to play Disco Elysium… the absolute lack of combat in an RPG is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not saying Disco Elysium maybe isn't a great game for a lot of people… just not me.

i think one just needs to be in the right mindset to enjoy it. If you do that, it's good! Well, at least it was for me. I kinda got bored on the first try, probably due to my expectations.
Did give it a second chance and it pulled me in, doesn't happen often with games.

But like i said before, i see no reasons not to have combat in narrative heavy games. All those story elements and combat can work together just fine. So yeah bring on the combat: pew pew and slash slam boom!

I was fairly happy with my playthrough of Disco Elysium. Although, I must admit that the text was sometimes a little "too much ado about nothing".

Still, I did at times enjoy the internal monologues/dialogues that the MC would have (they were sometimes hilarious) and there was a bit of reasonably entertaining detective work in the mix as well. Not enough to make you feel like…"Some Kind of Superstar" but enough.

A bit of inspiration from this game would be very welcome for me in many rpgs…but just a bit …no more than that.

Seems Disco Elysium Like can now considered a new genre. As another game called Sovereign Syndicate was announced a few mouths back is similar as well.

Well, Sovereign Syndicate should have combat. At least what they call combat..,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxl9351li6Q

Regarding that Sawyers project:

So he basically take two of the most original RPGs of the last few years (if not two most original) - Disco Elysium and Greedfall - and put them together. :) Storytelling and basic concept from one and world building from the other. But I like the idea. I think there is room for more RPGs more or less inspired by 16-18th century. It could be more historical and fact based (Kingdom Come style) or mixed with some fantasy elements (Greedfall style). I look forward to it.

I just hope he wont try to reinvent the wheel and wont come with new kind of "muscle wizards". :)

Eh, bullshit. He has too much fun designing multiple post-release patches balancing combat in his games.

That sounds promising! But it sounds very far away too.

I also like the fact they say it's experimental, which means Obsidian has not lost their spirit of trying new ideas. :)

The game's setting definitely diverges from Disco Elysium though, as it's said to take place in 16th century Europe.
I haven't played more than an hour of D.E. but I've read a few reviews and I seriously doubt the distinctive feature of this game is the period in which it's set. What does set this game apart? Lot of psychological and political introspective dialogues?

It looks like it's rather a Sherlock Holmes game with more RPG elements on top, mainly character building, which would be great.

Sawyer's a smart guy, has great grasp on the fundamentals of design in a game, and a good knowledge of human history. But any project he leads ends up being pretty damn boring and by-the-numbers.

FNV: Honest Hearts, Pillars of Eternity - both competent games, but oh so dry and mundane when it comes to the story being told.

Intriguing, if true. The historical setting would be more appealing to me than what Disco Elysium went with, as well. My concern would be that if there is no combat nor a comparable gameplay loop to replace it, the writing has to singlehandedly carry the game, and the overwhelming majority of RPG writing is simply not up to snuff.

Well, Sovereign Syndicate should have combat. At least what they call combat..,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxl9351li6Q

I was just quoting the developer when the game was announced he cited Disco Elysium was one of the inspirations for his game. We'll see what he means and I could be wrong.

Anyway reminder once again as everyone forgets this from June.

Obsidian looks to have four games in development.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…postcount=1570

It even mentions Sawyers new project.:)

I was just quoting the developer when the game was announced he cited Disco Elysium was one of the inspirations for his game. We'll see what he means and I could be wrong.

You're right, there's a thread about combat on Sovereign Syndicate's Steam page. The developer confirmed recently that they are currently leaning towards "combat as dialogue" similar to Disco Elysium. But the game's still very early in development and won't be released for at least a few more years, so plans could change.

When I have heard medieval setting and murder mystery I would think about The name of the rose and Umberto Eco - that would be intriquing for me, (but I'm not really into strategic games, so it doesn't really matter) but gaming industry seems to be using popular tags for everything, sometimes for the worse - like DarkSouls like for AA RPGs, where the combat was average at the best and could use focus and tag for something else where they actually excelled.
I know I talk about the same over and over, but I don't play many games, so I guess my selection is a bit narrow.

Some more info on his game.

Welcome to Dripfeed! The goal of these videos are to bridge the gap between YouTube and press by inviting the press in to discuss the stories they have broken and provide more details on their reports for those eager for more. Today, we dive into a new Obsidian RPG that has leaked. It comes from Josh Sawyer who headed up Fallout New Vegas and Pillars Of Eternity. Joining me is Jeff Grubb to break down all we know so far on the game.
Obsidian's "Pentiment"

Grubbsnax show, Obsidian's "indie"-style effort is emerging from a small team led by Josh Sawyer, famed for his leadership on what is arguably the best Fallout game; New Vegas, as well as a personal fave, Pillars of Eternity.

I recently revealed the game's name with my co-host Rand_Al_Thor_19 on our Xbox Two podcast. It's being called "Pentiment," which refers to "an underlying image in a painting, especially one that has become visible when the top layer of paint has turned transparent with age," according to the dictionary. This naming convention hints at the game's premise, by which you act as an investigator in 16th century Europe uncovering the truth behind a grisly murder.

Grubb mentioned that Pentiment takes cues from the likes of Disco Elysium and the branching narrative designs Josh Sawyer is known for. You'll be able to investigate and make accusations against the characters in-game, which could lead to cascading consequences if you're wrong. It'll be a dialogue-heavy game with decisions to make and response options to choose from, which will shape your experience as you unwrap the murder conspiracy before you.

I am told that Pentiment is being built by a small team of around 12 people, and is more of a narrative RPG adventure than something combat-oriented. The art asset above may represent some of the designs the game is gunning for. Jeff Grubb also mentioned that Pentiment is exploring "experimental" gameplay elements, too, although they may ultimately not make it into the final release. Speaking of which, Grubb also noted that Pentiment is indeed gunning for a 2022 launch
Seems my link above was correct.:)

Back
Top Bottom