Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Monolith's Design Director Michael DePlater is interviwed in a new video on Gamerhub.tv to talk about the lore of the new Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Monolith Productions Design Director Michael DePlater delves into the original lore based between JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in this exclusive gameplay preview interview for Middle earth Shadow of Mordor from Los Angeles before E3.
More information.

Last edited:
Still haven't heard anything about this game that makes me think I won't love it.

It has quickly shot to the top of my most anticipated games list, even ahead of the Witcher 3.

This could be good if it didn't butcher the LOTR lore so badly, it still is about a good wraith right ?

Where does it "butcher the LOTR lore"?

This could be good if it didn't butcher the LOTR lore so badly, it still is about a good wraith right ?

There is nothing there that suggest it is a "good wraith".

Which means, expect it to be the final boss of the game.

There is nothing there that suggest it is a "good wraith".

Which means, expect it to be the final boss of the game.

Ok Ok an evil spirt that let's the body it controls have some free will then.

I curious to see how they do the saves Talion in the last second thing.

Frankly I expect this game to have as much to do with LOTR as the new Star Trek movies with Star Trek.
Which of course doesn't make it a bad game, i just wish they wouldn't stamp the LOTR sign on everything these days.

Fortunately I don't have any emotional ties to LoTR lore, so I will be able to just enjoy the game.

As far as I know, this isn't necessarily a contradiction to Tolkien's lore (which in fact contains more than LOTR lore).
Wraiths do exist as well as a Wraith World/Shadow World.
As far as I know both concepts aren't so precisely described that there wouldn't be any room for "additional fiction" like in this game.

http://shadowofmordor.wikia.com/wiki/Talion

Here's another that reads alot like generic fantasy.
Again I don't see a contradiction. Of course it might well be that I'm overlooking something… I'm not a great expert in history of Middle-Earth.

As far as I know, this isn't necessarily a contradiction to Tolkien's lore (which in fact contains more than LOTR lore).
Wraiths do exist as well as a Wraith World/Shadow World.
As far as I know both concepts aren't so precisely described that there wouldn't be any room for "additional fiction" like in this game.

Again I don't see a contradiction. Of course it might well be that I'm overlooking something… I'm not a great expert in history of Middle-Earth.

Well just a few things
Aside the thing of a wraith leaving free will to the body it posesses.
How does the Wraith save his life or snatch him from dead ? I'm unaware wraiths being healers.
If he was already dead, how is his spirit still there, gift of men and all ?
And if he died a horrible enough death or is vengeful enough to not have his spirit leave, how is he not under control of sauron ?
It's also somewhat odd that for convenience purposes the Wife and kids were stationed at the black gate with him.
(I'll assume he's a Ranger of Gondor and not a Dunedain)

Second part is much worse though, Time slowing, Flamebinding to the floor, Teleport mind control ? High magic isn't exactly Lotr, especially in the 3rd age, and even Ringwraiths can't do that stuff.
Also I'm not sure about the whole mind controlling by the good guys, Tolkien was always pretty black and white about his good and evil.

There will probably be more down the line and sure it's not directly contradicting and will be explained away somehow.
The whole setup seems to fit much better in a setting like D&D though but the LOTR stamp is better for business.

Didn't those guys make Guardians of middle earth too ?

Now that i think about it the timeline, if the game bridges the hobbit and Lotr.

Shouldn't the black gate be firmly in the Witch kings and Ringwraiths hands ?
I thought they took it when they took Minas Ithil, gah i guess i need to read that up.

Back
Top Bottom