Drakensang:RoT Some spoiler-ish questions

Please, please stop calling him "Cano" ! ;)

His name is "Cuano", and I don't like this translation at all. ;)

"The woman downstars" is achtually the "chief" of this guild. She has only very few quests, but you can also ask the young female thief - for both buying/selling stuff and for a small quest …

This area becomes important if you star the game with a thief or another follower of Phex as the starting character.

Apart from that, I don't know anthing about it, either.

Regarding the one who is in training for a cook : How bad he is as a cook can be seen through his attempt to put grains of the - how it is translated ? - tadstool mushroom into the meal … In the Realms Of Arcania games, this mushroom was the main ingredient of a weapon poison … ;)

Regarding the two dwarves : Some of their "gibberish" can be read backwards ... ;)

Man, thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

I figured there was something I was missing, as the people in the guild all talk about a big scheme they have going on. I thought maybe something was weird with the english translation, as I have noticed some unusual phrasing here and there.

I finally got Zant down, but I admittedly switched to Easy mode after a while as it was taking FOREVER. Seriously, I fought him for around 15 minutes real time and he was only about 1/4 injured. I probably could have done it on Normal mode, but I was getting bored doing the same routines over and over. I bought the Astral robe from the ship trader in Nadoret, which has really helped with my mana points.

Very fun game, it's a shame it didn't get any support here in the States. Far, far superior to the first Drakensang, and I only wish there could have been a third one.

Even in the way I described above, I needed 15 minutes for beating the Zant. Several ones reported much longer fights, and … I think … I remember one reporting even an hour !

Yeah, I think I would have been able to do it in about 45 minutes to an hour at the rate I was going. Though I might have run out of oneberry juice first.

It just became tedious and boring so I switched it to easy and killed him It still took several more minutes. A challenge is good, but a boring grind is um, boring. I switched back to Normal level after this fight.

I'm at the hunting preserve and got too cocky up until the Bridge area, where my whole party finally got killed. I very nearly got both Ogres and had only 1-2 Orks left, but I ran into the battle unprepared. Going to have to re try that one more cautiously, but it was too late last night. A fun tactical battle that killed me, but I still enjoyed it.

I've trained Cuano with crossbow and made him some incendiary bolts. I also got him the Bleed skill.

Sounds like good progress. And yes, my very first encounter with these Ogres was similar … :biggrin:

Is that correct Alrik - there are no parries if I attack from behind? Darn - wish I knew that :)

Loving it so far. As far as I can see, the answer to all the tough battles is to leave them and do something you can handle - just as it should be :)

I got both ogres and all the orks on the bridge last night. Here's what I did:

I had three characters hold back and then had one character slowly walk forward until I got their attention. I didn't even shoot at them. Then I selected everyone and had them run away from the bridge. Then I spread everyone out and shot flame arrows. I did it just right (or got lucky) and only about four Orks came after me, leaving the ogres behind. I killed the orks, rested, re-buffed and then repeated the process, this time I got lucky again, and only one ogre came at me. I killed him, then repeated the process. This time it was the last ogre and I think two orks with bows. I attacked the ogre and lucked out AGAIN as my summoned mage skeleton started attacking the orks, distracting them. The ranged orks hit hard with some kind of shot that causes one wound... not sure what it is, but it hurts.

Anyway, in an outdoor battle like this I learned to use Cuano's stardust curse/blessing, then have him use starscatter from a distance until the ogres were low on health... then I had him go in for a Bleed attack with the rapier from behind. I kept Fayris using flame arrows from pretty far away... the damage over time really adds up it seems. My main guy hits the ogre with cold shock spell, though it takes a long time to cast... Forgrimm goes in for mighty blow and hopes for the best, though he kept getting knocked down.

One thing I noticed is that this entire game would be way, way harder without a summons. The Meta Mage main character is great - just great - with fastness of body and summons, then coldshock/lighning find you, then thunderbolts. The level seven skeleton-mage seems to NEVER run out of mana points, and takes a long time to get killed. It is really, really powerful, more so than the warrior skeletons, at least so far.

Does anyone know where to get additional ranged/archery/bow/crossbow training? I'd like to find some additional skills in this.

Also - can someone explain blacksmith skill? I've looked at the various recipes in Nadoret, and they all seem pretty worthless, even the more complicated ones. I was able to make a better bow for Fayris, but blacksmithing just doesn't seem worth it. Any thoughts on blacksmithing?

Also- where can I get an elixir of constitution or strength? There's some bow instructions I'd like to make, but I can't find where to buy these potions (they're needed to make the bows) or where to buy the instructions to make the potions. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Is that correct Alrik - there are no parries if I attack from behind? Darn - wish I knew that :)

Accordiong to the rules - if I understand them correctly - yes.
You can also look into the console for more info ! ;)

Does anyone know where to get additional ranged/archery/bow/crossbow training? I'd like to find some additional skills in this.

Also - can someone explain blacksmith skill? I've looked at the various recipes in Nadoret, and they all seem pretty worthless, even the more complicated ones. I was able to make a better bow for Fayris, but blacksmithing just doesn't seem worth it. Any thoughts on blacksmithing?

Also- where can I get an elixir of constitution or strength? There's some bow instructions I'd like to make, but I can't find where to buy these potions (they're needed to make the bows) or where to buy the instructions to make the potions. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

1. I don't remember ... Could be the Elves, or much later within the game ... I just don't remember anymore.

2. Blacksmith is in principle nothing but being able to forge something.

Forgrimm already has it, so you don't need to buy it. Me, I found several recipes there good, especially the bigger traps, and the advenced swords.

In the hunting preserve, on that bridge, I lured one or two of these Ogres into bear traps before I fought them.

3. I don't remember these elixirs ... You might perhaps be able to get some (or their recpes) in Hammerberg.

And last : Yesterday evening ? someone wrote here how he or she managed to overcome the Zant demon : http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=247&t=17080

Thanks for these links, Alrik. Are you the choir-boy in the temple of Praois? I thought you were older ;)

LOL no ! :lol:

I'm in the Dwarven Delving in Hammerberg after kicking out the leprechaun NOGO, and all the possessed dwarves are fighting me. I'm killing them bit by bit, but getting no experience points at all from them. The big circular area with the staircase and all the dwarves shooting at my party was fairly tough, and required some tactics... but still, no points are awarded at all.

Am I just at too high a level to get points from them? They aren't the toughest enemies I've faced, but they don't seem so easy that they're worth nothing. Just wondering.

Look into the console. It normally actually says there whether you are levels too high for gaining experience points or not.

It sounds a little bit strange to me nevertheless. But it's quite a while since I played this part.

And Nogo is NOT a "leprechaun" … He is a certain kind of Kobold, a Bosnickel, to be exact … In TDE, there exist several very, *very* different pictures of how Kobolds look like … This ist just one interpretation of a Kobold by Radon Labs

The Grolms of Drakensang 1 come a little bit closer to what you think of "leprechauns" …

Well they call him both a Bosnickel and a Leprechaun in the English version.

I'm pretty sure I looked at the message log, and I don't remember any message about being too high level, but I'll check again next time I play.

Leprechaun is a wrong translation, then. Stick to "Bosnickel".

There simply are no "Leprechauns" in TDE; what comes closest to them are the Grolms, of which you can learn some bits in Drakensang 1.

An update with major spoilers-

The Dwarves must have been too "easy" for my level to get experience points from. I cleared out the various rock goblins and the stone golem and got points for those. The golem fight was somewhat tough only because there were a couple rock goblins thrown in at the same time. I managed to have Fayris do most of the work with her fire arrows. Wish I could find some more fun spells with an area effect... maybe they show up later in the game? I hope so. Spells are kind of boring IMO, and I mainly use summons, buffs and debuffs.

The final battle in the Delving with the mutated Dwarf insane from the Hell Iron was really, really easy. My blood was pumping, expecting another Zant-like battle, but I killed him in about two minutes on Normal level, and that includes pausing a lot. Hell, the stone golem battle was harder.

Really bad game balance if you ask me, having the Zant battle so early on and so difficult, then the next stage of the game so very easy. The whole Delving sequence, in fact the whole Hammerberg area was completely easy. I only had Cuano knocked out by some crazy Dwarves once because I wasn't paying attention. But so far that's my only real criticism about the game other than some bad voice work. I don't even mind the camera which I had heard so many bad things about. Excellent game that deserves more attention.

THe problem, the REAL problem with Drakensang 2 is, that it is NOT a combat-oriented game as Drakensang 1 is !

Too many people just believe it is combat-oriented, too - and hnce they put up the values for combat. (And don't care about missing social interaction based on high social skills values, I assume.)

With high combat skills, this game becomes far more easier than Drakensang 1 would have ever been (I suppose), and thus people become disappointed and complain.

Another bad point is in my opinion the domination in the whole RPG genre of ombat over everything else - and the almost complete lack of any social interaction in nearly all RPGs I know of. In my theory, the result is that people are just not ued to role-playng with social interaction - so thy leave it completely out (I fear), not knowing what they miss.
In Drakensang 2, for example, some things are only available through values of 10 and higher in social skills. In the official Drakensang forums someone recently complained about the trolls and he or she just killd them. To me, this is nothing but a proof of my theory - because only with level 10 and more o "knowledfge of [the] human nature" one gets dialog options to a mini-quest - which leads to very good chainmail armor if you manage to complete this quest. And the person who killed the trolls complained he or she didbn't know that … In Hammerberg, you get a possibility to open up a side-entrance to building only if your etiquette skill is high enough (by taking Ardo with you) ...

This is why I'm so much aginst the focusing of RPGs towards combat that much. "I fight, therefore I play a role". I guess for Drakensang 2, the pople of Radon Labs listened to me perhaps a bit too much, but the fans all in all complained about too much combat in Drakensang 1 and wanted to have less. Now we got it - and people just aren't used to social role playing and therefore ALWAYS chose the way of combat by using either fight-intensive quest options or maxing out combat skills (and then complain because the game's too easy) or both.

The fight against the hell-iron infected sith was once of the most difficult fights when I played it through for the first time - because I put my own emphasis rther on social role-playing. This battle was a real challenge, then !

This is what I think about it, personally.

Back
Top Bottom