Matt's Top Ten Worst CRPGs @ Armchair Empire

I actually played through Lands of Lore 1 after watching Kikoskia play through LoL1-3.

Throne of Darkness was a VERY bad Diablo clone.

I almost forgot about that game. If I remember sierra published it. The only good thing is I got it free with a purchase of two other game off gogamer years ago.

Easy bashing, boring list. Can't agree with many of them. There is so much more to say about these game's. Some of them were bad, but in some cases you should applaus the makers for taking a risk, even if the result wasnt always great. Especialy in retrospect you cant come up with a list like this. Its just bad journalism (if you can call it that).

Easy bashing, boring list. Can't agree with many of them. There is so much more to say about these game's. Some of them were bad, but in some cases you should applaus the makers for taking a risk, even if the result wasnt always great. Especialy in retrospect you cant come up with a list like this. Its just bad journalism (if you can call it that).

Not intended to be 'journalism' ... just one RPG fan making a list.

my worst rpg ever was actually an action-rpg that made Throne of Darkness look like a masterpiece - Clans. Awful game, truly awful game.
Dungeon Lords was bad too, but not that bad.

My strategy is NOT to play bad games; life is too short. So I can't make such a list. ;)

What is a "bad game"? Many of the rememberable experiences I had have been when playing games that initially got very poor scores. For me a bad game (or movie) isn't just a poor experience, it's a study, sometimes a very interesting one. Bad games often makes me think and ponder about what I played and how that game came to be. It's because of this I sometimes put all new games aside just to play a game like Pool of Radiance 2 and Forsaken Gods.

What is a "bad game"? Many of the rememberable experiences I had have been when playing games that initially got very poor scores. For me a bad game (or movie) isn't just a poor experience, it's a study, sometimes a very interesting one. Bad games often makes me think and ponder about what I played and how that game came to be. It's because of this I sometimes put all new games aside just to play a game like Pool of Radiance 2 and Forsaken Gods.

Good point. Since my time has always been so limited I typically research a game before I buy/play it, therefore I would say about 95 percent of all the games I eventually buy are at least Okay. (hardly a sterling recommendation but there ya go).

For me I don't count a buggy game as bad, just incompetent at the time, that might get better. And I've played plenty of buggy games that overall I had no problem with (Fallout Vegas & Gothic 3)

There were also plenty of RPGs I didn't like (Diablo 2, Knights of the Republic, Oblivion) but to call them bad or the worst simply isn't right. Actually In my playing experience there has been only one RPG that I felt was bad. It was an overhead perspective RPG based on Norse(?) mythology. But there were no experience points for killing stuff and only minimal loot drops. You basically just wandered the country side fighting non strategic battles. Imagine my surprise when last week I saw that this game was a franchise and on its second sequel.

So just what is a bad game? When ever the player deems it to be. But as the old saying goes, "one man's junk is another man's treasure'.

Back
Top Bottom