What games are you playing now?

ESO for the past week or two since I signed up for ESO+

Playing Sleeping Dogs. Much more fun than GTA5, less filler timewaste driving! I mean, there is driving, but it's not 90% of the game.
Can't say I adore it, but at least it's not an utter boredom as overhyped GTA5.

Started playing Shadow of Mordor, but I suck at it too much, so I started playing Risen 3 instead.

It's not you who sucks, it's the Assassins Creed grind/filler clone that sucks.

Torment is finally out! I started yesterday though and imported my saves. I'm playing as an Intelligent Nano with Anamnesis and Lore: Mystical skills picked and I will try to pass as many Intelligence skill checks as possible. By the end of my alpha play, I already had points in Machinery, Lore: Natural and Perception, plus Persuasion and a Natural Charisma ability.

I also picked an ability on level 1 that allows me to read the surface thoughts of others through dialogs. It is simply awesome and not just for show, since the skill does open new avenues.

Leveling up in general is fun and addictive. Every level you get several ways to improve your character and all of them seem attractive. Every 4 levels, I think, you pass a tier that gives you a bigger boost with more abilities.

I don't know anything about what happens in the 2nd chapter and I haven't been following the development. My expectations, as set by the 1st chapter, are high.

Eh? I did check my e-mails yesterday, but... Where was my damned Torment key (KS backer)? Can't wait to return home to recheck it.

Really curious on Watch's opinion. I've read one short review from Codex - the reviewer felt it was not as good as PoE but then also stated it may not be fair comparison since he loved PoE.

Really curious on Watch's opinion. I've read one short review from Codex - the reviewer felt it was not as good as PoE but then also stated it may not be fair comparison since he loved PoE.
I'm on Sleeping Dogs playthrough anyway so if I got the key (can't bypass the paranoic proxy currently so I have to wait till I get home) I'll still have to wait till it gets installed.
Not to mention a friend asked me why I wasn't on LoL last night… Will someone make days last 48 hours already?

About reviews and reviewers on this game, it's supposed to be c&c heavy which means one playthrough is hardly enough to completely assess it. I'm also sceptic on "pro" reviewers' opinion because all they do is rushing through the main story. A short review might be caused by avoiding spoilers, but Torment2 review being short doesn't seem fair (unless it's a buggy mess so all you can write about is bugs).

Just stated playing Mafia III and found I quite enjoy the game. After that I'll probably continue playing Torment:Tides of Numenera which I played for only two hours already.
I'm on Sleeping Dogs playthrough anyway so if I got the key (can't bypass the paranoic proxy currently so I have to wait till I get home) I'll still have to wait till it gets installed.
I never finished Sleeping Dogs. So what is your impression so far?

I never finished Sleeping Dogs. So what is your impression so far?

I'm quite far with the game, most probably near the end.

1. Nice graphics where hair is not bad at all! Music selection is great.

2. Odd saving game sytem. You can save anywhere, but upon loading you'll spawn in your apartment.

3. Outside of missions trashmobs are not hostile unless you come too close to them (or trigger an event). Some do respawn, but you can ignore them completely.

4. During playthrough you get different XP points necessary to unlock skills. You'll get more than required of police XP and face XP, but Triad XP is superhard to get. Which goes to point #5…

5. The game contains dressup barbie part, but most of "rags" have some bonus. Better damage, less vehicle prices, some include weapons, etc. But there is a certain set that gives +15% triad XP bonus. I did buy myself Jensen (yea, DX!) set but later switched to this ugly triad bonus crap - which is IMO a bad thing when you're "forced" to use something out of practical reasons and not because you like it. On the other hand this game isn't RPG so… Expecting to play DX role is a bit unrealistic.

6. Just as in AC games, the openworld is filled with collectibles. With certain sidequests solved, these get shown on the map. Sadly, due to some bug not all are displayed on the map, but just on the minimap when you come close and you'll have to pixelhunt if you want to get them all. Similar applies on events, some are displayed on the map, some appear only on your minimap when you come close. Horrible design.

7. Fasttravel doesn't exist. And you can't phone for a cab. However, you can pop in a car or something, drive a bit till you spot a taxi, block it's route, exit the car and hire that taxi to drive you somewhere instantly. This could have been designed better.

8. Kung fu fights and shootouts are fun. There are no normal ones, some are supereasy, but some are superhard. For these hard ones, you'll need buffs (eat, drink, massage) and if necessary equip some damage reducing bonus equipment (super swat rags reduce damage 50%, to get these you just have to solve all police sidequests).

9. The story is linear, nothing spectacular but still okay (you're undercover cop in Hong Kong) and I love the mixture of chinese/english in voiceovers! Subtitles are again halfarsed, dunno who's decision was to put them displayed with some supersmall font, will someone explain developers we don't use a microscope while playing games? Also it has some odd vanishing design, nothing great and nothing bad, basically nothing to brag about.

10. The game does contain unskippable races, OMG. I'd spit on it right this moment, but…
- tyres are not bald and roads are not icy
- driving anything with K+M doesn't feel like being scammed by a publisher
- all mandatory races are easy to win (you get hints on what to do)
In other words, this game is not GTA annoyance nor GTA boredom!
As you may suspect, I don't play optional races sidequests, nor will. No 100% the game, when I'm finished I'll write a minireview on Steam and call people to check my achievements where I'll probably have everything except Need4Speed rubbish done.

-

Sleeping Dogs is more of AC than GTA clone, here you won't be racing 90% of your precious playtime like in GTA and there is plenty of fun nonracing content to enjoy.
It was on some sale, I paid 7.5€ for it, and that price is IMO a steal.
If you planned to buy GTA5, do me a favor and buy Sleeping Dogs instead. It's a far better game.

I'm about an hour into the Torment game, really liking it so far. Seems to be chock full of some serious choice and consequence situations, and for a new game I've not run into any crashes or broken stuff as of yet.

Finally got myself a new video card - installing The Witcher 3 as I am typing this *suuuppperrr excited!*

Finally got myself a new video card - installing The Witcher 3 as I am typing this *suuuppperrr excited!*

It's a great game, one of my all-time favorites. Once you get going, your flower arranging days might be past.....

Probably mentioned this already, but right now I'm playing a few games for my YouTube channel. Lords of Xulima - Hardcore Ironman mode. Playing it "blindly" as in it's my first run with the game. Also started Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics, a little bit of an overlooked tactics RPG. Probably overlooked because it came out for the PSP. Still, pretty interesting game with a deep D&D 3.5 ruleset implementation, turn-based combat, etc..

My problem lately is "game overload". Sooo many good RPGs I want to play, it's hard to focus on one game!

Back
Top Bottom