Mass Effect 3 - Seth Green Interview

We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too - what they like about Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty and lots of RPG games too.
So a survey of tastes. The game will suit player's tastes. In this regard, the only label should be "tailored to suit players' tastes", a TTSPT game. That solves the point.

A honest statement though. Making a game to suit players'tastes first and above all.

Well if anyone thinks those games are rpgs I shake my head in bafflement. They are labeled as FPS and Action games on most site and retailers.

Don't give me you play a character so therefore its an rpg argument. The other reason look it has stats so it must be an rpg doesn't work either.

I like Seth Green as an actor, but he's much better in a comedic role than trying to do something serious. Whenever I hear his name, I can only think of things like this.

*Edit* Or better yet.. this.

Last edited:
Well if anyone thinks those games are rpgs I shake my head in bafflement. They are labeled as FPS and Action games on most site and retailers.

He isn't saying those games are RPGs, he is saying they are taking aspects of those games and adding them to ME3.

Don't give me you play a character so therefore its an rpg argument. The other reason look it has stats so it must be an rpg doesn't work either.

Subjectivity is subjectivity. Those games subjectively are RPGs.

And the very fact that a guy of the envergure of that man uses them as primary reference points to developp a RPG while letting in the fog all the other explicitly labelled RPGs he used, speaks tons.

When this man has thought of developping a RPG and wanted to investigate about players' tastes outside the ME franchise, the main references he listed are Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty. In his mind, when developping a RPG, they weighted more than all the anonymous RPGs in the "lot of too"

He is just a diplomatic guy who does not want to draw unneeded flak by stating explicitly his mind. But he is also a professional with contracted objectives who can not afford ad infinitum intellectual masturbation on what a RPG is. He has to take a course somewhere in his decision process and stick to it.

Fact is he opted for Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty as primary sources of investigation.

And it would be interesting not to know what games titles are in that lots of RPGs but how many of them because investigating a game and replicating the how it is done is resource consuming.

Four games are nearing the limit here.

Sigh…

It's incredible how hard it seems to be to understand that he was NOT looking at those games as RPGs. He specifically mentioned that he looked at them AND RPGs.

If Chien wants to argue they are RPGs - that's great (if a bit silly) - but it has nothing to do with what was originally said.

Who said in that interview that - from a point of view - even shooter games are "RPGs" ?

Sigh…

It's incredible how hard it seems to be to understand that he was NOT looking at those games as RPGs. He specifically mentioned that he looked at them AND RPGs.

If Chien wants to argue they are RPGs - that's great (if a bit silly) - but it has nothing to do with what was originally said.

I was responding to a post by ChienAboyeur. Really though you have to be a suave bullshitter to be good at marketing.

I was responding to a post by ChienAboyeur. Really though you have to be a suave bullshitter to be good at marketing.

Marketing is the art of making lies sound like truths, so there's no surprise. The best marketing person is probably the one who can make himself believe in his own lies.

But, personally, no matter how they present what they're doing - I think it's plain for anyone to see.

They're targeting the largest market they can, and they're using the biggest hits to establish how to go about doing that.

Call of Duty and games like it sell more copies than, apparently, any other genre they could hope to emulate with Mass Effect 3 - so that's what they're going for.

Sigh…

Of course it is hard to understand.
RPGs are said to be all subjective and who knows the subjectivity of this guy?

The result remains that when wishing for an investigation of players' tastes to developp a RPG, this guy looks at his own games franchise, four others namely and a list of anonymous RPG titles (which might contain games that people do not consider as RPGs through their own subjectivity)

Analyzing four games and how developpers manage to reach the result they have is a big work load. I am curious of knowing how many games the lots of represents.

In the end, this guy has led a survey of tastes on four games. Which are Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo and Call of Duty.

As to arguing over these games being RPGs, not my job. But it is much more the job of proponents of "RPGs are all subjective" to explain how it is a bit silly to subjectively class these games as RPGs, because it would mean that there are some a bit silly subjectivities and some more intelligent subjectivities.

So let's see how proponents of the "all subjective" school explain how it is a bit silly to tell that subjectively these games are RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom