Tyranny - Gameplay & Mechanics Video

Personally I was kind of surprised that they made PoE use a 6 person adventuring party in the first place, given the level of complexity of the game mechanics and the fact that the game is real time. For me switching to 4 party members is a plus not a minus, though I'd think differently if this was a turn based game.

I would have been surprised if it wasn't, considering it was touted as a "spiritual successor" to Baldur's Gate. Going to a 4 member party in Tyranny feels like a step backwards to me.

Sigh. Time to be cynical. I can't help it right now. But are people really complaining about "chaotic" RTwP combat + 6-person parties? Okay, so Tyranny will "streamline" it then. And the next game will do a little more, then a little more, until eventually it's an action game. lol.

Then, years after that people will pine for an old-school RTwP 6-person party RPG again, and someone will make a game like PoE. The cycle of life.

Unlikely. All the failed attempts of bringing RTwP party based products have shown there is no demand for this kind of products.

Players state length of products. The product is averagely the same length as ME 2 or 3 (while ME do not work a necessary second, third runs the same way)

Players state recyclal of assets. DUngeon Rats seem the same case, no blip about that.

Main grievance is RTWP combat, players desire their UgoIgo stuff.

As to being turned into an action thing, for whatever it means, it looks the opposite: it is being turned into an inaction things as players'inputs are less required.

Yes, I saw that. But I'm still confused, because the earlier statement seems fairly clear about a game-ending limit in the general game. It seems a bit odd to ask about time limits after that fact.

My impression was the game ending time limit was just for solving the first major quest, but that the game continues after that. Kind of like in Fallout 1 with the water processing chip (if you happen to have played that).

I could be completely wrong though of course.

I haven't played POE yet but was going to soon. I'm a little confused though I thought consensus around here was that it's pretty good? but I'm hearing quite different in this thread.

The consensus is that POE + patches + The White March is pretty good if you likes that type of game (party-based story driven top down RTWP game). There are a few people who just wanted a BG2 reskin and are pissed that it's more like IWD and BG1.

Unlikely. All the failed attempts of bringing RTwP party based products have shown there is no demand for this kind of products.

Players state length of products. The product is averagely the same length as ME 2 or 3 (while ME do not work a necessary second, third runs the same way)

Players state recyclal of assets. DUngeon Rats seem the same case, no blip about that.

Main grievance is RTWP combat, players desire their UgoIgo stuff.

As to being turned into an action thing, for whatever it means, it looks the opposite: it is being turned into an inaction things as players'inputs are less required.

Beamdog did pretty well with their Enhanced Editions of the original Infinity Engine games with RTwP. I think those who knock PoE's implementation of RTwP are a small minority and there is still a demand for good RTwP (just like there is always a demand for turn-based).

Tyranny is too short. But, we'll see how replayable it truly is. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is not a very long game, either, yet it is an all-time classic RPG and can be played several times in different ways (I finished my first run at 46 hours).

No problem recycling assets. That's not important. What's important is that the game still "feels" right. The dialogue, characters, etc. will be fresh and that is what will make the game feel new. I saw a lot of brown in the Tyranny trailer, though.

Turning it into an inaction thing, well, that's a pretty clever quote, and you're right. I would fear that future RTwP games will focus more on AI implementation and less micromanagement of party members, etc. RTwP games are one style of game combat that I actually like to manage my party members for the most part. Dragon Age: Origins had an interesting scripting system, which has a lot of promise IMO and is/was quite cool, but I still like to mostly retain control over my party in games like this.

Now, scripting Morrigan to shapeshift into a Bear when at 75% health is pretty awesome, but then you are playing more of a single-player RTwP with AI companions. I think for a future BG-style RTwP, I'd like to see it more like the BG/IWD games. If that means not having as many active abilities to use other than spells, with combat relying more on your gear, stats, etc., that can be a good thing. IMO.

More nonsense and tripe from you. PoE was very successful and the sequel is in development. Typically low brow trolling from you yet again.

I still don't really understand what kind of game Tyranny actually is. I'll start playing it on Thursday though, so I should be able answer all the questions by the end of the week.

I still don't really understand what kind of game Tyranny actually is. I'll start playing it on Thursday though, so I should be able answer all the questions by the end of the week.
Well for your speedrunning, it is a 10h kind of game :p

More nonsense and tripe from you. PoE was very successful and the sequel is in development. Typically low brow trolling from you yet again.

One recurring characterisitic in a forum: people do not bother reading threads. In this case, not even bother reading quotes.

As kids say, "I know you are"

I played PoE almost like a turn based game, it worked perfectly fine for me. I also loved PoE (up until the last segment which sort of dragged on), so I have no problems with Tyranny on that end, I also would love to play as a bad guy. My only concern with Tyranny is the length, if it's any less than 20 hours I might not buy it. Will wait for reviews and comments here when it's out.

I tried to get it for free, as I don't think it'll be worth much money at all. I think I'll just play FNV instead. I may have to break down and actually watch a let's play of this. If I can find someone that doesn't sound like they're 12. Seriously, do any LPer's have balls that actually dropped? :p

BumpyMcSquigums has started a Let's Play. He's usually ok.

Thanks, Pladio. I'll give it a look.

Back
Top Bottom