Rune - Previews

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Rune has been previewed based on an E3 demo.

Entertainment Buddha

At one point, I did a sick action roll off of a cliff as my partner pulled our boat under me, taking me to safety while some enemies fell into the sea. It was a pretty badass moment if I do say so myself, and I wish I could have recorded the moment to show you guys. My favorite part of the demo was when I obtained a rune that turned me into a Frost Giant and I took out my wrath on a group of enemy warriors. I got to slam them all into pancakes and swat them away like flies, laughing maniacally, maybe crying a happy tear or two. The runes in the game that let me do that are also a main mechanic of the game, and you’ll find them in hidden spots, chests, and dead enemies. These can heal you, give you buffs, or transform you (there will be more in the full game, but those are the kinds I saw when I played).
Dualshockers

While I played Rune in multiplayer, the entirety of the game can be played in single player. According to Chris Rhinehart, the “story is being told through the interactions with your god. It’s a very personal experience,” so those looking for some more Nordic single player action should also find something to like in Rune.

Those who decide to play together will have a slightly different experience depending on the gods they align with, but will still have their quests “dynamically merge” with other players, which should make multiplayer quests feel more seamless. Rune will also include both story-based and time-based raids to keep the experience fresh, even if it’s fun to just mess around in the game’s world with each other.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Glad to see it can be played single player, but will it still require an internet connection to do so? Just curious as most sandbox games are server-based like the Conan game.

Glad to see it can be played single player, but will it still require an internet connection to do so? Just curious as most sandbox games are server-based like the Conan game.

It is server based, and don't ask how I know ...lalalala NDA stuff... :biggrin:

It is server based, and don't ask how I know …lalalala NDA stuff… :biggrin:
Thanks.

Yet another developer who calls online server-based solo play single-player. This seems to be the trend so I'm not surprised. So kudos to those waiting to play this.

Who cares? Aren’t you guys online most- if not all- of the time?

And what do you do when they go bust? Forcing people to be online to play the singleplayer game is shortsighted.

And what do you do when they go bust? Forcing people to be online to play the singleplayer game is shortsighted.
Don't bother as whatever you reply they will still say it's not a problem.:)

You guys are weird. You are fearful that this company will go bust?

Whatever gets you through the day.
No on my end it's called a personal preference. See I hate online server-based single-player games. See I broke my rule now you can reply about how my tastes are wrong.

Just because I'm online and have an internet connection 24/7 does not mean I want to log onto a server to play a single-player game. See that's what MMO's are for.

What's with those horns, almost everyone have there? Game of horns!

Well, I'm not. I live on a little island in the Pacific ocean and in the Winter, power and internet outages happen. For that reason alone, I prefer games to not force you to be online... especially when said game does not have an inherent gameplay mechanic to force you to be online (unlike an MMO or something similar).

Do you hate online games themselves, or do you hate the fact that you have to be online? Is there something inherently bad about being online? Do you just find online games “not fun”?

I get that some people live on remote islands or just have bad internet access. But that’s different.

I am. I mean, my phone is.
My PC however is not online all the time. Why should I keep it online when I'm not doing anything online? So it sends more telemetry to EA and Microsoft?

I feel flattered they named a game after me:)

I have the Ethernet cord close at hand so I disconnect the moment I'm not making use of the interwebs. So, a product that I purchase that is a single player game and forces me to go online will always get my ire. Label it a multiplayer or mass online game and that's a different story.

Do you hate online games themselves, or do you hate the fact that you have to be online? Is there something inherently bad about being online? Do you just find online games “not fun”?

I get that some people live on remote islands or just have bad internet access. But that’s different.

- Company goes bust
- User connection is poor
- Company decides serves cost too much
- Server outages
- Server overloads
- Server gets intelligent and eradicates humanity (actually, this is a plus?)
- Random disconnects
- Synchronization problems

All but one of those points I have experienced, frequently. It's not really hard to understand how being online can deteriorate your experience of a game. I'm willing to put up with it if it makes sense. But often, it is simply the worlds most stupid way to implement DRM.

You guys are weird. You are fearful that this company will go bust?

Whatever gets you through the day.

They will go bust. I don't know if you are incredibly naive or a troll.

Thanks.

Yet another developer who calls online server-based solo play single-player. This seems to be the trend so I'm not surprised. So kudos to those waiting to play this.

My tactic lately is try to get into as many betas as possible, until I find one that I really like… so far I'm still looking :biggrin: And at the same time I get to play all those 'online' games… some of those get good with time… I have a Fallout 76 preorder at amazon only for the beta key :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom