Dragon Age: Inquisition - Twitter Updates

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Only SP rounded up a few more details for Dragon Age: Inquisition based on some new tweets from the games developers this week.

According to Laidlaw, there will be no swimming in Dragon Age: Inquisition, a feature that every open world game really should have to be honest. It’s sort of surprising to see how many open world games simply do not have the ability to swim. As of right now, there’s no plan to even patch it in.

A feature that players immediately noticed following the recently released combat video for Dragon Age: Inquisition was that archers did not seem to have a quiver for their arrows, a feature that has been in Dragon Age since Origins. Laidlaw has confirmed that the minor detail has been added in.

Another important reveal made by Laidlaw lets us know that players will be able to fully complete Dragon Age: Inquisition before ending the main storyline.

Lastly, in regards to character customization, you will not be able to change the physical features of your companions, but you can customize their weapons and armor to your liking, according to the official Dragon Age: Inquisition Twitter account.
More information.

The swimming was widely suspected; apart from the fact that having a party makes this a bit more difficult, you can see in some of the videos that at least some zones appear to be divided into a 'corridors and rooms' structure by water and vertical cliffs. More open and open-looking, sure, but not all that 'open'. A bit like Amalur and some MMO's, although you could jump into the water or off cliffs in Amalur, if only at specific spots.

Other than that, not being able to swim isn't a gamebreaker in my opinion.

The 'important reveal' was one of the dumbest pieces of non-info I ever saw - LOTS of games allow you to finish all secondary content before completing the main quest.
What would have been more interesting to know is whether some sections of the game 'close off' once you've left them or finished a particular section of the main questline. That would mean you have to plan ahead if you want to 'finish' a particular section or not.

Last edited:
Yeah I have no idea why people get all uppity about swimming. I mean, it's fine if it's in, but I've never once seen a game where it was ever used for anything at all but a shortcut. Huge technical challenges that deliver basically no payoff in anything that isn't a world-simulator (which most open world games are definitely not).

The swimming was widely suspected; apart from the fact that having a party makes this a bit more difficult
Well, they should just have gone all the way and solve it like they did it with mounts, where your companions just become invisible when the main char is riding. ;)

I'm still shaking my head and still can't believe they made such a dilettante design decision.

You can't swim, but you can fall in the water...

Hm, no swimming... no toddlers... where have I heard that before?

Did a particular number of developer's children drown in unsafe pools? o.0
Just asking...

You can't swim, but you can fall in the water…

Well, let's hope there's a drowning animation then. That would at least be something…:p

… no toddlers… where have I heard that before?

Good point. Has anyone seen kids in the vids? Would be kind of disappointing if DA:I's 'open' and 'living' world turns out to be without children...

No swim and no toddlers is also happening in Sims 4.
But it's not actually connected with DA3 except that… Both games are supervised by EA and some EA decision maker probably has phobia of water and of toddlers. Or… We get them in DLC.

Other than that it's two different development teams, two different engines, two completely different world designs (Sims4 is not openworld) and completely different min. requirements (Sims4 exe is 32bit only and should work also on a toaster... I mean... phones).

DLC 1: includes toddlers!
DLC 2: includes swimming!
DLC 3: includes drowning toddlers!

Back
Top Bottom