Void Bastards - Inspired by System Shock 2 & Bioshock

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Void Bastards announcement trailer which is due sometime during 2019.

Inspired by BioShock and System Shock 2, Void Bastards is a revolutionary new strategy-shooter that will test your wits as well as exercise your aim. Can you lead the misfit prisoners of the Void Ark through the derelict spaceships and myriad dangers of the Sargasso Nebula?
More information.

First person Deep Sky Derelicts. Why not?

I like the punky aesthetic and the silly humour. Good title, too. Seems like something a bit different.

I like the art style a lot, and it looks like it will have decently deep gameplay as well.

. Can you lead the misfit prisoners of the Void Ark through the derelict spaceships and myriad dangers of the Sargasso Nebula?
Depends.
If trashmobs respawn endlessly, no I can't. I mean, my wallet can't.

Yeah, this does look interesting.

I only have one question though.. Is this going to use procedurally generated maps like so many games do now, or is the world hand-crafted? If it's the latter, then I'll definitely be checking this out.

Sounds broken concept. They say it is inspired by bioshock and shock 2; but you test your aim ? I thought those games were story based concepts. yea they had a bit of shooting (not quite so much in bioshock) but hte focus wasn't guns.
-
I absolutely hate games that throw out well known games in one sentence but then are nothing similar. Doesn't mean it will be a bad game but get real.

Sounds broken concept. They say it is inspired by bioshock and shock 2; but you test your aim ? I thought those games were story based concepts. yea they had a bit of shooting (not quite so much in bioshock) but hte focus wasn't guns.
-
I absolutely hate games that throw out well known games in one sentence but then are nothing similar. Doesn't mean it will be a bad game but get real.

The Bioshock games have more than just a "bit" of shooting. You spend a significant amount of time in combat in those games.

So is this just another developer saying, "Hey gamers our new game is inspired by so and so you'll love it", but in all actually looks nothing and plays nothing like them again?

Blue Manchu are the same developers of Card Hunter.

Good luck, Blue Manchu! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that link, from the top review:
I really, REALLY wanted to like this game. On the surface, it's got everything I normally love: turn-based, grid strategy, RPG, D&D theme, meta-humor, etc. Unfortunately, even after multiple attempts, it's extremely frustrating to play.

My biggest issue by FAR is the level of randomness. Deck-based games can be great for blessing or cursing you with draws, but on top of that, you're at the whim of multiple dice rolls.
Once roguelike, always roguelike.
Definetly won't be touching Void Bastards.

Yea this is a bit confusing. The steam description does indeed claim such but looking into the development team I see:
---
http://www.cardhunter.com/team/
We’re Blue Manchu, a group of industry vets trying something new and different. We’ve got decades of experience on all kinds of games.

We are:

Jonathan Chey
Game designer and programmer. Co-founder of Irrational Games, director of development on BioShock, producer of System Shock 2 and designer of Freedom Force. Cut his chops at Looking Glass where he worked on Thief and Flight Unlimited 2, and wrote 5 lines of code for Terra Nova.
--
(Note those 5 LINES of code !!!)
--
Anyway I wonder if there was a mistranslation somewhere by someone....

So is this just another developer saying, "Hey gamers our new game is inspired by so and so you'll love it", but in all actually looks nothing and plays nothing like them again?

Well I want some of it. :D

Back
Top Bottom