Rune II - Bethesda being Sued by Ragnarok

More news on this game.

RUNE II: Decapitation Edition Steam Announcement Trailer

RUNE II: Decapitation Edition launches November 13, 2020.
Bethesda intentionally sabotaged Rune 2 - PCGamer
In December 2019, Rune 2 publisher Ragnarok Game sued original developer Human Head Studios, alleging that Human Head had attempted to destroy the game by very publicly abandoning it on launch day, and then refusing to turn over the source code and assets so another developer could take over the job. "We could've transitioned the game if they weren't able to participate anymore, we could've transitioned naturally—here's the source code, we'll help you find somebody," executive producer Matt Candler told me in a June 2020 interview. "But they didn't do that. They actually did everything they could to prevent us from supporting the product."

The original Rune was good (for its time), but most of what I've read about this game has been overwhelmingly negative.

The lawsuit is pretty funny. It claims Bethesda conspired with Human Head Studios to torpedo Rune II because it "posed a threat to TES". :)

Yeah it sounds frivolous but most things about office politics do. My honest opinion I wouldn't doubt that Bethesda's former owner ZeniMax is above using such tactics.

There certainly seemed something very fishy when it came to Rune II. It promised a lot, seemed to be getting ready for release, then seemed to take a firey dive into a dumpster never to be seen/heard again.

I understand that there is some effort being made to salvage things, but clearly *something* very messy occurred behind the scenes, as both parties have track record for releasing/supporting games (ie. they know the basics). Admittedly Human Head had a rough run of publisher-cancellations, but still.

Back
Top Bottom