Blizzard is bringing real-money auctions to Diablo III

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I found this story on destructoid and dont know what to think about it. I will just say this bend over and open your wallets folks. I knew this was going to happen. People do this for wow and other games blizzard saw a way to make money legally off it.:evil:

Probably the biggest and most unexpected news that came out of Blizzard's Diablo III press event last week was the announcement that players will be able to buy and sell items in-game for real currency. In addition to having a standard, gold-based Auction House like World of Warcraft has, Diablo III will also feature a safe, Blizzard-sanctioned way for players to exchange items for cash.

For many players, auction houses are a game unto themselves, and I certainly spent my own fair share of time exclusively playing the auction house in Warcraft. If Blizzard can convince enough players to put up their own cash to participate, I think this has the potential to be extremely successful for both Blizzard and the players who choose to use it.

According to Executive Vice President of Game Design Rob Pardo, Blizzard is well aware that players will trade items and gold for real cash in virtually all of their games. From the shady loot-for-cash websites that plagued Diablo in the mid-90s to the Chinese gold farmers we see in WoW today, making money off videogames has been a simple reality for years.

Given that it's going to happen anyway, Pardo and the Blizzard team figured they might as well create an official place for players to sell their items and gold without fear of being ripped off. To do that, they're giving you this auction house.

For the most part, it operates similarly to the World of Warcraft auction house: the major difference being that real money is involved. Items can be listed directly from your stash, which is now shared between every character on your account. (In Diablo II, every character's stash was only accessible by that character, and transferring items between your own characters was a massive pain in the ass.) Sellers can set a minimum starting bid and sell the item like a true auction, set a buyout price and skip the auction , or both. One other, smaller difference is that buyers and sellers will be completely anonymous; this makes sense to me, given the presence of real money.

Once you successfully sell an item, you have a choice to make. The money you made from that sale can go to one of two places: it can be deposited into your Blizzard account, or it can be cashed out through a third-party service.

If you deposit it into your Blizzard account, only basic listing and sales fees apply. You get the full value of your item, and that money can be used for anything Blizzard-related: other auctions, your WoW subscription fee, and even merchandise from the Blizzard store.

Money deposited into a Blizzard account, however, cannot be later cashed out into real money — this would invoke a whole host of legal issues, with Blizzard essentially acting as a bank. If you choose to cash out through the third-party service, that company will take a small percentage of your cashout, but your money will be available to you as real cash, either added to your credit card or deposited into a PayPal or bank account.

To reduce the risk of people cornering the market or artificially driving up prices (like we see on WoW servers), there will only be one auction house for each currency — if your country is in the eurozone, your auction house is shared with all other euro-using countries. The typical WoW server only has around 5,000 players, making it easy for players there to fix prices and damage the economy. It will be much harder for that to occur in Diablo, simply because of the sheer volume of users.

It's important to note what this auction house won't be. It's not a store — Blizzard is selling nothing directly. Everything on the auction house will be weapons, armor, and items that other players have actually found in-game and have put up for trade. Pardo said that, barring some serious unanticipated problem that would require them to get involved, Blizzard plans to be completely hands-off once the auction house is running. The economy will be entirely determined by the players, and Blizzard has no intention of stepping in to regulate it. Additionally, Blizzard has stated that "99.9%" of the items in the game won't be soulbound — in essence, if it's not part of a quest or a plot device, you can toss it up for sale.

Blizzard has also stated that Hardcore characters will not be able to use items purchased through the real-money auction house, as they think that would take away from a significant portion of the Hardcore experience. Softcore characters will have access to these items in PvP.

Blizzard has to make money off this somehow, though. When you want to list an item, you pay a 'nominal' (actual numbers were not given to us, as they're still being decided on) listing fee, and when your item is sold you pay a small sales fee. As of now, the listing and sales fees are both a flat rate — they won't scale if you sell a really valuable item.

The listing fee was decided to prevent people from dumping their entire inventory into the auction system — people should decide what's crap and what isn't, and only list items people are actually going to be interested in. Blizzard also wants to prevent people from setting wildly unrealistic buyout/bid prices, and having to put up a small amount of real cash to list an item will hopefully keep the economy reasonable. That said, to encourage people to participate and try out the auction house, accounts will likely be given a certain amount of free listings every week.

Overall, Blizzard says that this (real) cash auction house is simply them giving players what they want. It also makes a lot of sense financially, particularly for regions like Asia where players don't purchase the game itself, but tend to play in PC cafes and LAN centers. If it doesn't seem like your thing, the standard gold-based auction house will still be available for players who are unwilling or unable to put up real cash, and I suspect a fair amount of players will be using it. I'm personally hoping the cash-based auction house takes off though — I'd love to be able to make back the money I spent buying the game just by playing it.

I dont think that it is necessary to play the game ot do this, but why would anyone pay a chinese gold farmer rather than blizzard themselves if they are too lazy?

They can dance around pretending that this is something else - but I can't see it as anything but a less random kind of legalised gambling.

Well, maybe I can quit my job and sustain myself on playing Diablo 3?

At least for a decade or so…

Hmm….

Well, maybe I can quit my job and sustain myself on playing Diablo 3?

At least for a decade or so…

Hmm….
This would be *very* boring imo. In addition, I don't think I would be able to play another game after work :)

This would be *very* boring imo. In addition, I don't think I would be able to play another game after work :)

I would never seriously want to rely on a game's economy :)

Still, it's a strange development in the gaming world. I know it's been there for a while - but Diablo 3 is bound to be very popular.

Think of this way you can cheat by just paying with in game gold or your own money. I'm sure the game will be using Battle.net so it will always be online. Unless you play as a guest instead of logging on.

Overall, Blizzard says that this (real) cash auction house is simply them giving players what they want

Really is this what we want. Anyway it sounds like there trying to mimic wow. I was sure the game was a singleplayer game also.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a way/try to drive all of these Chinese "wow gold" sellers off.

Can you even legally sell this game to minors?

I understand why Blizzard (Vivendi) as a business entity does this. They are trying to replicate the revenues that World of Warcraft generated. A game that will soon face immense competition from Electronic Arts.

Sounds to me like a way/try to drive all of these Chinese "wow gold" sellers off.
They will still be there, just with a different middle-man, and much more accessible.

"When two are quarreling, the third one laughs laughts" - this is the rough translation of a German proverb.

I don't care about this really, because I play offline...

Oh wait, it was also just announced this game has no offline mode. Awesome. Now I won't be buying Diablo 3, never thought that would have happened. Lovely.

No offline mode ??? Really ???

This sounds to me like / reminds me of Ubisoft's DRM …

When we were out at Blizzard on Tuesday, they told us players would be able to buy and sell items for real money, and the game will be online only. There’s another part to that, closely related: not only will mods not be supported, they’re specifically forbidden by Blizzard. Official quote below.

Some games don’t have official mod support but can still be tweaked and enhanced by the community. Others, like World of Warcraft, don’t let you change the fundamental mechanics, but give you free reign over rearranging the interface and searching the auction house with mods. The official FAQ provided to us by Blizzard makes it Diablo 3′s policy pretty clear:

“For a variety of gameplay and security reasons, we will not be supporting bots or mods in Diablo III, and they’ll be expressly prohibited by our terms of use for the game.”

Having played the game, I’m not desperate to re-arrange its interface or scrape its auction house for the best prices. And it’s no surprise they don’t want you modding the online game: it would rather undermine the item market. But I do think it’s a shame there’s not an offline mode we can tinker with and create interesting things for. StarCraft 2 went out of its way to embrace that kind of creativity, with an editor so flexible you can make new games in it.

Apparently you wont be able to mod the game either due to it constantly being online and the world economy. My interest in this game keeps getting lower. Found that little news off of PCGamer.

At an event in Irvine on Tuesday, Blizzard told us that Diablo 3 will be online only. Without an internet connection, you can’t play the game at all.

Senior producer Alex Mayberry says there were many reasons for the decision, including the prevention of cheating. Since players can buy and sell items for real money, any way of cheating to make or acquire better ones would be very lucrative – and unfair.

“It’s the trend that we’ve been moving towards,” Alex says. “Obviously StarCraft 2 did it, WoW authenticates also. It’s kind of the way things are, these days. The world of gaming is not the same as it was when Diablo 2 came out.”

I check with him to be absolutely sure: there’s no way to play without being online? “There’s no offline play, you have to be connected to the internet.”

The anti-cheat reason makes sense, but why not permit an offline mode and keep it separate from the online game?

“We thought about this quite a bit,” says executive producer Rob Pardo. “One of the things that we felt was really import was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.”

“Now, that doesn’t mean you can’t play a game by yourself – of course you can. You can go into and start any game that you want, you’ll just be connected to the Battle.net servers, and we can authenticate your character.”

If you’re finding this reasoning weak, you’re not alone. The more believable reason to deny players any kind of offline mode would be to prevent piracy. I asked Alex if that was the reason.

“One of them, yes.”

There its basically a MMO without subscription fees. I'm losing more interest already.

Thanks. That's interesting, I didn't know about it.

Edit : It is confirmed by the web site of the German magazine "Gamestar".

Thanks. That's interesting, I didn't know about it.

Edit : It is confirmed by the web site of the German magazine "Gamestar".

No problem I was exited about the game as I loved the first two. After this new info Its gone from must buy to wait and see.

Oh wait, it was also just announced this game has no offline mode. Awesome. Now I won't be buying Diablo 3, never thought that would have happened. Lovely.

I was never excited about D3 to begin with, and to be honest, I don't pay much attention to Blizzard in general now. I was underwhelmed by Starcraft II, and it doesn't seem like Blizzard puts much effort into the single-player experience anymore.

First they took the LAN,
And I didn’t speak out because I’d never played LAN before.

Then they took the offline play,
And I didn’t speak out because I was always connected.

Then they took the singleplayer,
And I didn’t speak out because I always played co-op.

And then they came for more,
and there was nothing left to take.

A little poem about the state of pcgaming inspired from a speech about freedoms of the people.

This is a rather slippery slope they've set foot upon. While they may deny it today, I can see the likelihood in them selling a limited amount of their own items via the auction system some time down the road.

I've never been all that excited over D3. At its core, it looks like it'll simply be D2 with Wowized graphics and little gameplay innovation. If I want some mindless killing and looting, I don't doubt that Torchlight 2 will be out by then.

I will flat out refuse to buy this game for the listed reason. No mod support I can live with (but outright prohibiting it is a move that I disapprove of). Forcing me to stay online is something that I won't accept. Blizzard has a good track record of keeping their servers up & running, but at some point they will be taken down, and that means that the game will become unplayable. This is also the reason why I prefer boxed copies to digital distribution (the games will be more future proof). Also, it means that any internet outage will kill the game, which is not something that I find acceptable.
And giving people who are willing to pay more an in game edge is yet another thing that I find unacceptable. If they offered cosmetic upgrades for a small fee, then that would be ok, but giving the people an outright advantage for being able to spend more money in a game, well that alone would be enough for me to put it on my "not to buy" list.

I was never excited about D3 to begin with, and to be honest, I don't pay much attention to Blizzard in general now. I was underwhelmed by Starcraft II, and it doesn't seem like Blizzard puts much effort into the single-player experience anymore.

Let's not be hasty here my friend. Just because you have to be online, it doesnt mean that you have to play in an MMO-style game. MMOs are massively multiplayer online games, youre forced to play in an online persistent world with other players. There's been no indication that Diablo III is considered an MMO or is going to run like this, you can still play single player, but you also have the option of playing w/ other people if you want to.

As far as the auction house goes, I'm all for it. I think it's a good idea to give people a legitimate avenue for buying and selling virtual goods. I can play the game and make money off selling loot that I dont want or need for my characters? I dont see a problem w/ that.

Back
Top Bottom