More remakes of old RPGs

bizorker

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor
Random musings today.

In a world where every cool TV show and movie of the 70s, 80s, and 90s has been remade once or in some cases many times, I wish I could get some remakes of classic RPGs - i.e. the exact same game (characters, story, etc.) but with a modern platform. Would you ever pay money and play for example....

The Ultima series with an engine like Dragon Age Inquisition (would that be a good platform?)

Instead of the polished up beambog Baldurs Gate games, you get them on the engine behind Pillars of Eternity? Or the Gold Box D&D games?

Even some relatively new games could be awesomely refreshed. How about the first Witcher game redone with their current Witcher 3 engine? I would buy that.

Clearly there's not a perceived market for this stuff (or the cost to make is too high for the perceived market). I guess this Morrowind/Skyrim thing is an example of a community trying to do it. Some games were so limited by the platform that they wouldn't make sense in a modern engine - this new Bards Tale effort comes to mind.

At some point the old gamers die out and vast majority of the gamer population will have never played some of these classics. Maybe then we'll see more of this. But then I'll be dead, so....

With what goal?

There could be a lot to say about that trend of remaking, what it means.

For video games, would the remakes add or even rival with their models?

In the past, people used to work in a bubble, caring much less about pre release feedback. Those projects had direction. Today, devs have it easier to try and satisfy the easiest desires instead of sticking to their direction. Devs jumped at the first opportunity to reach for any low hanging fruit the community suggests them.

The art in Morrowind, its composition, the ambiance that comes from it resulted from a mix of technological limitations and inspired drive.

Porting BG to PoE engine: combat is so different. BG also conveys the feeling of a continuous gameworld, PoE is a collection of levels.

TW1 is such a different game from the others. The fundamental concepts differ too much. The PC was not supposed to be played the same.

Ensuring technological compatibility is the only compulsory update that must exist.

What I really want is someone to remake gold box games in more modern engines. I keep hearing good things about them but just don't have a heart play them due to ancient engine mechanics :(

What I really want is someone to remake gold box games in more modern engines. I keep hearing good things about them but just don't have a heart play them due to ancient engine mechanics :(
The best chance of that happening is the reincarnation of the gold Box developer SSI now called Tactical Simulations Interactive. They are working on a game called Seven Dragon Saga that failed to get funded last year, but found some investors instead.

Link - http://www.tsi-games.com/

I have Pool of Radiance from GOG, but when I tried to play it, I didn't understand how to move characters around in a fight (otherwise they can't hit enemies, they need to stand next to them). I know it sounds lame, but it was really incomprehensible. I tried pushing various keys. And for some reason I didn't even try to find out how to move them online or bothered to read anything, I was so shocked that I just stopped playing. Now I'm scared of touching those SSI games ever again. :)

I have Pool of Radiance from GOG, but when I tried to play it, I didn't understand how to move characters around in a fight (otherwise they can't hit enemies, they need to stand next to them). I know it sounds lame, but it was really incomprehensible. I tried pushing various keys. And for some reason I didn't even try to find out how to move them online or bothered to read anything, I was so shocked that I just stopped playing. Now I'm scared of touching those SSI games ever again. :)
Just play the NWN 2 total conversion Mod.
Pool of Radiance Remastered combines the plot of TSR's legendary RPG with the later cannon material (novel, campaign set) and the electron game enigne to a new interpretation of the old classic.
Link - http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/966/?

It's fully updated but you will need to own NWN2, and all it's expansions.

Not everything needs to be remade.
And when something is remade, then it should be done much better than what we've seen in Realms of Arkania.

Not everything needs to be remade.
And when something is remade, then it should be done much better than what we've seen in Realms of Arkania.
I still have buyers remorse about playing the remade Realms of Arkania. It's a shame as the the developer patched the hell out of the new version, but it's still a huge mess.

Last I read the developer is working on another remake in the series.:disappointed:

Last edited:
The SSI games are sheer perfection even now. Since GoG brought them to us in forms that can easily be played on current computers, I'm more than happy with them. And glad to give GoG money for making me happy!

The SSI games are sheer perfection even now. Since GoG brought them to us in forms that can easily be played on current computers, I'm more than happy with them. And glad to give GoG money for making me happy!
Well the problem is the games are still using an outdated game engine, and when you combine that with bad controls it will definitely turn off new gamers/buyers on GOG.

Nethack in the Witcher 3 engine. (The controls are too complex for VR, I'm afraid unless... voice command?)

I'd love to see an EE version of PST, Nox and Arcanum. I love all three games, but I have a hard time playing them these days because they just haven't aged as well as other games from that period.

Nethack in the Witcher 3 engine. (The controls are too complex for VR, I'm afraid unless… voice command?)

Hey! I want Nethack to remain Nethack!!!

pibbur who realizes he will still be able to play Nethack as it is, even if something wicked (W3 version) this way comes. So it's no big deal. Actually. no deal at all. Good for those who want a remake. Of no significance for those who don't.

Last edited:
I have Pool of Radiance from GOG, but when I tried to play it, I didn't understand how to move characters around in a fight

It's actually quite simple if you've got the quick reference card handy. Just hit enter on "move" then either use the arrow keys or number pad for directions and you're set.
Just watch out for those attacks of opportunity if you're moving away from monsters…

And don't listen to the Spud - the original Pool of Radiance is the way to go. ;)

Last edited:
And don't listen to the Spud - the original Pool of Radiance is the way to go. ;)
And I say don't listen to those who say play the old versions.;)

Is the NWN2 module really well-done?

Writing was just as shitty in the 80's and 90's as it is now, so I don't see the point in recycling all that crap.

What I'd like to see again is more games that get the sensibilities of epic fantasy right - the gaudy characters, the beautiful, colourful worlds, the gameplay with races, classes and skills. I don't even need just epic fantasy, I'd also take some well-done dark fantasy anytime. Just not games with bland characters, bland worlds and bland systems like Witcher, Dragon Age and Skyrim.

Hey! I want Nethack to remain Nethack!!!

... At one point I realized that Blizzard's D1 was nothing but a graphical version of Nethack ...

Is the NWN2 module really well-done?

There's also one for NWN1 if that's your preferred option. I've played a few hours of it. Is a little dry comparatively speaking, but thinking back the original was fairly dry also, I think it was new and we were all just kids so we thought it was the best thing since sliced bread =)

I too have long longed for a well done 3D environment roguelike a la nethack. When you think about it though would it really work? I mean roguelikes rely on their turn based game play when things get sticky. Maybe in the style of Grimrock would a be better option.

With NotEye you can play roguelikes in basic 3D. ADoM's got full integration for it's tiles and the 3D view is an included Noteye feature.

-kwm

Back
Top Bottom