Risen - Screens @ Worthplaying

Wow, it's like I went back in time. I can't believe how similar the graphics look to Gothics 1 & 2. I didn't see it before so much, but now with some genuine close ups on the characters it really comes out.

Can't believe I'm saying this but other nay-sayers are right - the graphics look terribly dated! Of course if PB pulls off some more gameplay like G1 & 2 then the graphics won't matter in the least.

I don't think it looks dated at all. Not exactly state of the art, but I really like the art direction I'm seeing so far.

I don't think it looks dated at all. Not exactly state of the art, but I really like the art direction I'm seeing so far.

Somewhat agreed.

I also think it looks much better in video and it should look great in real-time. Not every game, in photo form, looks like it actually does when your playing it.

very interesting screens even though looks quite dated. i didn't like the graphics from Gothic 3, either. out of the box, it was too shiny had too much glare and did not exactly looked like a world recovering from war. i had to tweak them with a tool called g3bloom, iirc.

I'm with you - that doesn't look like any Gothic 1 & 2 *I* ever played ... but I love the new looks!

Can't believe I'm saying this but other nay-sayers are right - the graphics look terribly dated!

Reinstall G1 and G2 and you'll see the graphics in Risen are much better. They may not be what you may consider 'next gen' but still to say the screen shots look like G1 or G2 is a stretch.

As far as I'm concerned, if Risen has great gameplay like G1 and G2 I'll take a notch 1 or 5 down in the graphics department to play the game without having to deal with a clunky game engine where I have to research the net for days to figure out how to create a custom Vista profile to boot up with so I can get a stable 3 frames per second and CTDs down to 3 an hour...

Hmm i don't think the graphics are outdated, they are heavily inspired by G1 & 2 but the new engine looks pretty good, especially in motion.

Love them. But for me art direction is 9/10s of the visual appeal of a game...

PB's designs always have that very distinctive character that gives their games
a unique feel. On the other hand ArcaniA's rather bland and generic look (although
technologically much more up to date) left me a bit cold (but we'll see ofcourse)...

On the other hand if they want to appeal to the console crowd with these graphics
they do have a problem... I understand that they are going for the heavily stylized
approach but in most younger eyes these graphics are going to just look dated as some
already mentioned...

Most definitely reassuring to devoted Gothic gamers to see these graphic shots. That old Gothic atmospheric magic hasn't been lost, in fact, it appears to fit better to the new game because of this slight subdued graphic effect, a cool move by PB, we can trust them to get the blend just right.

True, that graphics alone does not a rpg make, but when the graphics fit the theme, the atmosphere created is enhanced more-so.

Looks great to me. Not mind-blowing by any standards - but that has never been what Gothic was about.

Let's leave the Hollow-wood games to Beth and Bio ;)

It may be technically a bit dated but that´s really unimportant.

Art direction is what counts and on that front Risen fares well, at least in the case of scenery. I really like its atmosphere, evoking Gothic2´s nicely.

I don´t like little headz and bloom though.

I am much more concerned about performance ... G3 was an absolutely pig, still one of the worst performing games I have ever owned.

I am much more concerned about performance ... G3 was an absolutely pig, still one of the worst performing games I have ever owned.
I can't believe you're saying that after playing FG

Can't see the screens, have tried with both firefox and IE, a page opens but without image. Have disabled adBlock Plus, didnt help... Has someone an idea ?

My best guess is that you still have ads blocked, somehow (there's an ad at the top of each one of the screenshots).

Eventually got it, it was Kaspersky...
I personnaly find the screen gorgeous. Ok, I was already quite satisfied with G2, the biggest problem being the faces. Which look great now. If they manage to get good animations and decent framerate, I'm completely happy with technic.
And the atmosphere's there.

Back
Top Bottom