Fallout 4 Settlements/crafting

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Any proper "guide" or a sort of manual about it?
I think I got it pretty much (my Sanctuary now has 11 happy people, all fed with enough water and etc), but I'm not sure if I understood everything properly.

For example a hint says when planting veggies that one person tends to 6 plants - if we plant 20 dwarf trees with 1 food gain, that's 6 food if a person is assigned.
But with defense bases it works differently it seems, not 6 but 3. So if we build 78356843562348568347 def. posts, assign a person, defense value will be 6 because initially these posts give defense of 2.

UI positioning of stuff is abyssmal, connecting wires or assigning people too as we don't see who is assigned where actually. Since I can't remember in each settlement what I did, all I can do is to go racist/sexist and then for example put only males to defend and only females on agriculture.
Is there a way to do these things outside of 3d or something?

Maybe I sound confusing but…
I spent at least half of my gaming time on building settlements and I adore that new feature, it's just that it isn't explained thoroughly.
Unlike fastrunners on stupid twitch and youtube. I wish the main story was locked on levels so they must explore the game first.

A hint - if you're into veggies, adhesive will be an unlimited resource:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3sezph/psa_there_is_an_unlimited_renewable_source_of/

Last edited:
How do you assign someone to a task? I've only got 7 residents in Sanctuary and I've built a beacon. Have you had an attack on it? I'm only covering the foot bridge into town, but I've got four turrets there and am slowly putting up a wall that will eventually go around the whole thing. That bridge will become the only way into town one day. It's just tedious to do. I'd rather have a button that says build wall and just requires 4000 steel or whatever. Let the game place it. It'd also be cool if you could assign workers to build the wall for you.

The only things I've done in my settlement have been making beds, doing water, planting a few veggies, and making about 30 turrets. I figure the damn turrets better keep them alive while I'm out making da money!

How do you assign someone to a task? I've only got 7 residents in Sanctuary and I've built a beacon. Have you had an attack on it? I'm only covering the foot bridge into town, but I've got four turrets there and am slowly putting up a wall that will eventually go around the whole thing. That bridge will become the only way into town one day. It's just tedious to do. I'd rather have a button that says build wall and just requires 4000 steel or whatever. Let the game place it. It'd also be cool if you could assign workers to build the wall for you.

1. Enter build mode (hold V) then press E while looking at the settler you want to assign somewhere, then go to that somewhere (a plant, a defense base or something) then press E again once and the settler will be assigned to that objective. You may move settlers between settlements by pressing Q in front of them instead of E while in build mode.

2. I didn't have an attack on Sanctuary, but my other settlements were under attack. When that happens you receive a short message to help defend it. I don't care about walls, I place only bases and turrets in settlements and scrap walls for resources.

3. You can't assign workers to build walls. Would be cool I agree, but… Sims don't work that way. ;)

A new spoiler, more you play more items you can add to settlements. Didn't know this before, just went to finish one of settlements' quest (hint: robots vs mutants) and received this:

pic.jpg

Maybe there are more things to find like premade easteregg Skyrim castles or something? :D

haha. So is there ay reason not to just collect all the junk you find, put it in your workbench, and deconstruct everything in your settlement before crafting stuff?

There is a reason to collect EVERYTHING.
There is no reason to dismantle that everything manually.
Just put all the junk (press R then T) when at workbench inside it. While building or crafting stuff, it gets "deconstructed" automatically.

The junk gun I found has me picking up everything in sight that isn't nailed down. Nothing like shooting someone with pencils or a teddy bear, lol.

As for settlements, I just did the one place by the water that the minutemen used to hold, that was a nightmare fight on steroids. Fortunately two hours before I'd found a laser gun that has unlimited ammo. On crafting really all I've done for protection is made a bunch of turrets, basically at any entrance point to the settlement. I've only seen two attacks so far, one was radscorps and without those turrets I'm pretty sure we would have lost.

How about static objects you can't put in your inventory?
Which ones exactly? Chairs as example? You can move them around settlements (E) or store (TAB) or dismantle too.
I've only seen two attacks so far, one was radscorps and without those turrets I'm pretty sure we would have lost.
You're way ahead of me, so far I've seen only raiders, gunmen and supermutants attacking my settlements.
Nothing turrets won't soften. And settlers are not worthless - they fight like pros! At least on normal difficulty.

I'd rather have a button that says build wall and just requires 4000 steel or whatever. Let the game place it. It'd also be cool if you could assign workers to build the wall for you.

Indeed. That was somehow the expectation, NPCs with some virtuality, NPCs that are in some measure able of virtual work. In FO4, NPCs have no virtuality. Assigning is decorum, it is just an esthetic organization of the settlement.

It is another weak point in this FO.

The tone has changed from FO and FO2. In those, the society at large was desesperate, they were struggling to make it, humanity was not recovering, and it was each man for himself.

FO4 has taken a different turn: it shows humanity picking up, it shows rebuilding.
In previous episodes, settlements were plagued with the proverbial worms in the apple.
FO4 gives the player the opportunity to build ideal societies.

And NPCs are unable to do a thing by themselves. The whole rebuilding thing must go through the player.

The settlement system only underlines one of the little immersion-breakers that's always bugged me about Fallout: it's been 200 years and these buildings have been occupied for most of that time, but no one ever thought to salvage that old TV for metal and glass until now?

Or at least, I don't know, stand it upright if you're going to leave it sitting in the front room of the house where you're living.

It took me 20 minutes to clean up the entire town. Why so little civic pride, inhabitants of Sanctuary?

The settlement system only underlines one of the little immersion-breakers that's always bugged me about Fallout: it's been 200 years and these buildings have been occupied for most of that time, but no one ever thought to salvage that old TV for metal and glass until now?

Or at least, I don't know, stand it upright if you're going to leave it sitting in the front room of the house where you're living.

It took me 20 minutes to clean up the entire town. Why so little civic pride, inhabitants of Sanctuary?

I totally agree with this. Even as a massive Bethesda fanboy, this has always irritated the hell out of me. Also, clean up the shit and trash. I can understand one or two people living in filth, but a whole society? Not likely. I just wish we could actually clean up and repair buildings that are already standing.

Especially with the current turn.
People who are busy with surviving as they were in FO1 and 2are busy with something else than cleaning surroundings.
In FO4 though, they are rebuilding the world, the surroundings should have been cleaned.

FO1 was actually more realistic -- you mostly saw new structures crudely built out of scrap material, rather than "Let's have dinner every night at this table and never clear away the scattered dishes and silverware of the people who died here all those years ago."

Which ones exactly? Chairs as example? You can move them around settlements (E) or store (TAB) or dismantle too.

Yes I know that. My question is should you store:dismantle those as well? Is there an advantage to not dismantling stoves or ruined buildings or mailboxes, for example. Do they serve some other in game function?

No. You can dismantle everything, but I kept a few things just for flavor. I don't want to waste any time building chairs, tables, TVs, etc, so I kept a few of those things. I also kept my original house as it was. It is a shrine to my past life that I visit every so often. While I build for the settlers, I've taken to living in the cellar of another house when I'm in Sanctuary. There is no reason to keep anything from before, though I generally keep storage containers if they're small. A tiny footlocker will hold as much loot as a huge cabinet, so I'll ditch the cabinets so that I can put in more beds, etc.

I just had this idea while thinking about crafting. You can create a fast travel mat at a workhouse. If you can put that in your normal inventory and drop it anywhere, you could fast travel to any single spot your heart desires. It would be like a mark/recall spell for Fallout. Wonder if it works........

Yes I know that. My question is should you store:dismantle those as well? Is there an advantage to not dismantling stoves or ruined buildings or mailboxes, for example. Do they serve some other in game function?
You can freely dismantle everything that doesn't affect settlement happyness.
So don't dismantle a bed, but feel free to dismantle any chair or table.

About other comments... The point of the thread is not about liking it. But how to nail it.

Quick question since my Sanctury now has 12 settlers inside... Is there a max number of residents in these settlements and if there is, how many you can have on one spot?

20 Settlers to a settlement if you have Charisma 10. It is 10+Charisma. I'm not sure if named NPC's count as settlers though....

My charisma is 6 so I believe it's not 10+charisma but charisma*2.
See my second settlement reached the number of 12.

Okay I guess... I'll have to pump it up to 10.
Won't press it though.

You can freely dismantle everything that doesn't affect settlement happyness.
So don't dismantle a bed, but feel free to dismantle any chair or table.

About other comments… The point of the thread is not about liking it. But how to nail it.

Quick question since my Sanctury now has 12 settlers inside… Is there a max number of residents in these settlements and if there is, how many you can have on one spot?

OK, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom