What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Abrams was in a no-win situation. If he deviated too much, chances are you guys would be bitching that it wasn't Star Wars enough.

Personally, I thought it was at least better than Ep 1-3, though I realize that's not saying much considering how bad those movies were. I didn't like John Boyega at all though. He just seemed very out of place to me, and the writers certainly didn't do him any favors either.

The only thing that bothered me about the movie plot-wise was Han and Chewie finding the Millennium Falcon the way they did. We're suppose to believe that they just happened to be in that area at the same time Rey and Finn were flying the Falcon there? Or did I miss something that explained how they found it?

I'm not so sure about the no-win situation. I think there's plenty of mileage in the Star Wars universe. I just thought the prequels were god-awful, and TFA a mediocre bit of product. I don't know how the new rebel movie will turn out, but I do think it looks a whole lot more promising from what I've seen so far.

JJ Abrams is Hollywood's savior. He earns them so much $, any other question is irrelevant.
Either adapt or search elsewhere. Or forget about movies completely and stick with TV series.

It took me ages to watch the 7th SW and I honestly don't care for the next sequel (or prequel or spinoff). Probably will watch it when it's rental gets dirt cheap.

Joxer you skipped breakfast again

The only thing that bothered me about the movie plot-wise was Han and Chewie finding the Millennium Falcon the way they did. We're suppose to believe that they just happened to be in that area at the same time Rey and Finn were flying the Falcon there? Or did I miss something that explained how they found it?

I have to watch that part again, but isn't this typical Star Wars style? There are many "coincidences" in these movies and I'm pretty sure that is by design.

And I agree that anyone who does a Star Wars movie is in a no-win situation with the vocal minority. Either it's not Star Wars enough or it's a rehash. But, the movie was received well by most people.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=2&ie=UTF-8#q=star+wars+force+awakens+reviews

I actually liked Episodes 1, 2 & 3 but they also are the first Star Wars movies I really recall ever watching. I was in Virginia with family at the time during holidays and the first movie was playing. It wasn't until a few years later where I went back and saw the original trilogy (which I think is amazing, I'll watch those movies again and again). But still, Episodes 1 2 3 weren't bad to me. They got me interested in the Star Wars universe which is probably how a lot of younger kids were introduced to it.

But Episode 7 is basically like the original trilogy with a new cast and some slight twists. I expect the next 2 episodes to be crazy.

Also, think about all the other coincidences in the originals and remakes. One quick example in the new movie is how:

Han wants to visit Maz for her help and Rey ends up finding Luke's lightsaber in her basement.

To me, that is the theory behind Star Wars from the beginning. The main driving force in the movies is synchronicity that brings people together in odd ways. Sort of like fate or destiny, etc., or one could look at it as The Force working behind the scenes to ultimately accomplish the goal of vanquishing the evil threat.

Says the guy who was "bothered" by the way they found the Falcon, but somehow missed the 49 other, more obvious plot holes.

I said it was the only thing that bothered me plot-wise not that it was the only plot hole in the entire movie. By all means, please feel free to name a space opera that doesn't have plot holes.

I am finding it ironic that many people complaining about TFA being a copy & paste movie or disappointing or unoriginal ... are themselves taking part in what is basically a disappointingly unoriginal copy & paste of discussions from a year ago ...

:D

Personally I would rank TFA as the 3rd best Star Wars movie, and either my 3rd or 4th fave depending on the day. I do not deny or discount anyone else's personally held criticisms ... this is just my opinion on the movie.

Watched some of the Star Wars marathon on TV this weekend, and it was great because both kids were home from college for break, so it was nice sitting through the opening of 'Star Wars' with them, and the older son remarking about how it is impossible for him to watch the movie as a stand-alone. For me, it is that feeling that continues to thrill me about the movie, those dozen times in 1977-78 when I saw it in theaters ...

I definitely plan to go see Rogue One, and will no doubt have a great time, regardless of whether the film is good or crap. That will sort itself out later :)

I can't wait for the next one. It took me a year plus to see TFA, but I think I will see the next one much sooner than that. :)

Still have to watch the 3rd Hobbit movie, lol. I stopped watching movies for a few years but lately have been watching some and enjoying them again.

TFA was the biggest disappointment in movie history.

Not sure how it could be?

It was just what the masses wanted. I saw it last year around Christmas time with my father. He liked it so I liked the time I spent with him.

Most don't care about great movies never mind great movies. So not sure why anyone is surprised when movies like this are produced.

bahh go the sheep as the shepard leads them

I guess I should alter my statement to read "To me, TFA was the biggest disappointment in movie history" That would be much more correct. As I know there are people who loved it, obviously it was not a big disappointment to them.

I had low expectations at first, but after there were some really positive initial impressions I had high hopes when I went into the theatre, and chronically depressed once I went out.

It was just what the masses wanted.

Nobody wanted a rehash you dunce

I guess I should alter my statement to read "To me, TFA was the biggest disappointment in movie history" That would be much more correct. As I know there are people who loved it, obviously it was not a big disappointment to them.

And I think that it is important that there is always a difference between 'disappointment' and 'bad'. Because you have many people who would consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy to be incredibly disappointing, which would then be a separate discussion from the one on quality.

I just thought it was a bad movie, quite apart from any ideas of disappointments or rehashing. In the same way, I think Abram's Star Trek reboots are awful, too. I was perfectly open-minded on both, but I just don't like his style, and I find his movies to be hollow and third rate.

Back
Top Bottom