5. Dragon Age Inquisition
6. Mass Effect 2
7. SWtOR
8. Jade Empire
9. Dragon Age 2
10. Mass Effect 3
11. MDK 2
12. Shattered Steel

TBH I still don't know why anyone calls ME2 and 3 CRPGs. They are cover shooters with some dialogue thrown in. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alas, it is a great waste of potential.
1. BG2
2. BG
3. Dragon Age Origins
4. NWN
5. KotOR
6. Mass Effect
7. Dragon Age 2
8. Jade Empire
9. Mass Effect 2

? Dragon Age Inquisition
?. SWtOR
?. Mass Effect 3
?. MDK 2
?. Shattered Steel

As a fan of series who wears N7 rags constantly in public and at work I'll buy ME4, there is no doubt in it.
ME4 standard version. Core version. Version vulgaris. Whatever it'll be called.
I will not buy any of it's DLC.

Will the game, without their deluxe idiocy and DLC, be the largest and best, that's something I won't believe till I see it.

Too bad they took out much of the mystery and streamlined features instead of evolving them.

Hm, I don't know. As I said, I played the series back to back and there isn't really anything substantial missing from ME2 that was in ME1. Quite the contrary. Everything was improved and better done.
It's almost like they made a low risk, low budget ME1 to test the waters if the gamers would be interested in the characters and universe and then when people bit they decided to make a "real" game with part 2.

Also, I thought that the mystery of what Cerberus is up to carried the game very well. There was this constant tension because naturally everyone knew that the Illusive Man was up to something but we didn't find out until very late in the game.

My only complaint would be that they shouldn't have depicted the Illusive Man as as completely stereotypical villain. The only thing missing here was a "This is the bad guy!!!" arrow over his head. He could have been straight from a Bond flick. The only thing missing for that would've been a white cat on his lap and he'd been a carbon copy of Blofeld.

So they certainly could have made the mystery of what Cerberus is up to a lot more interesting with a much more inconspicuous character but I still thought that it was quite exciting to keep playing until the end to find out what would happen.

It doesn't help that I didn't care much for the story or the characters.

Yes, that would definitely be a huge detriment :) . One reason I disliked many earlier BW games is the fact that their characters were always very generic, predictable and stereotypical.
In ME2 I really liked how the characters were way more fleshed out and how they all had their unexpected (dark) secrets. They felt more like "real" people to me and not just like quest automat party banter meat shield heal/DPS/whatever companions. I mean their function was basically just along those lines as well, of course, but it all came in a much nicer, more interesting wrapping ;) .

I don't know... it worked for me but I can definitely see if the story/characters don't "click" for you then there isn't much left to get excited about because character progression or gameplay isn't really the strong part of the ME series.

Hm, I don't know. As I said, I played the series back to back and there isn't really anything substantial missing from ME2 that was in ME1. Quite the contrary. Everything was improved and better done.
It's almost like they made a low risk, low budget ME1 to test the waters if the gamers would be interested in the characters and universe and then when people bit they decided to make a "real" game with part 2.

That's certainly an interesting opinion that I don't share :)

What was missing was a compelling mystery - which is admittedly hard to achieve in a sequel.

Also, I thought that the mystery of what Cerberus is up to carried the game very well. There was this constant tension because naturally everyone knew that the Illusive Man was up to something but we didn't find out until very late in the game.

I thought the whole "illusive man" angle was pedestrian and over-the-top. Nothing compelling about it, to me.

My only complaint would be that they shouldn't have depicted the Illusive Man as as completely stereotypical villain. The only thing missing here was a "This is the bad guy!!!" arrow over his head. He could have been straight from a Bond flick. The only thing missing for that would've been a white cat on his lap and he'd been a carbon copy of Blofeld.

This we agree on ;)

So they certainly could have made the mystery of what Cerberus is up to a lot more interesting with a much more inconspicuous character but I still thought that it was quite exciting to keep playing until the end to find out what would happen.

Well, I managed to finish it - so it wasn't all bad. I just felt much less compelled and engaged than I did when playing Mass Effect.

Yes, that would definitely be a huge detriment :) . One reason I disliked many earlier BW games is the fact that their characters were always very generic, predictable and stereotypical.

Indeed, I just found it particularly bad in ME2 and ME3. Well, and Jade Empire too.

In ME2 I really liked how the characters were way more fleshed out and how they all had their unexpected (dark) secrets. They felt more like "real" people to me and not just like quest automat party banter meat shield heal/DPS/whatever companions. I mean their function was basically just along those lines as well, of course, but it all came in a much nicer, more interesting wrapping ;) .

Ugh, I could almost smell some writer desperately wanting attention for almost all the characters, except perhaps that black dude. Mordin was painfully bad in that way.

Ehm, I finished BG at release. I also love replaying it until I get to the part I hate, which is the town of Baldur's Gate.

I also love System Shock, but it doesn't mean I'll be able to finish another playthrough.

To me, great games don't necessarily translate to games I want to complete over and over.

I'm also not like so many of you in that I have to love and defend everything about my favorite games.

I'm a bit smarter than that ;)

Ehm, I finished BG at release. I also love replaying it until I get to the part I hate, which is the town of Baldur's Gate.

I agree with your second sentence completely. BG proper felt entirely too aimless and pointless. But I do remember you writing that you never finished BG1. That made a VERY strong impression on me. It would be impossible for me to find the relevant post in your mountainous pile of of posts. So I'll leave it at that. :)

I agree with your second sentence completely. BG proper felt entirely too aimless and pointless. But I do remember you writing that you never finished BG1. That made a VERY strong impression on me. It would be impossible for me to find the relevant post in your mountainous pile of of posts. So I'll leave it at that. :)

You're remembering it wrong. I never finished BG2 :)

You're probably mixing it up with one of my countless BG replays - which I never manage to finish.

BioWare games ranking:

1) ME2
2) ME1
3) DA: Inquisition
4) BG1
5) NWN: HotU
6) ME3
7) DA: Origins
8) BG2
9) KotOR
10) SW: TOR

Is it just me or more butts&boobs the game has, higher on the list. :D

ME3 would not be ranked that low in that case...

Big carries enough appeal.

Maybe they'd manage this time to feature space travel as a fundamental element, and dont skip on it.

Can't say I'm interested in Bioware games anymore....

In terms of Bioware game ranks:

1. BG2
2. ME2
3. ME1
4&5. DA:O & NWN: HotU - changes depending on my mood
6. BG1
7. KotOR1
8. ME3
9. DA:I
10. DA2
11. JE

Didn't play remaining Bioware games.. :)

Back
Top Bottom