Raven's Cry - More Replies on Steam

Raven's Cry is now installed on my computer. I will be making some Let's Play videos as well as posting a preview article shortly. Stay tuned. :)

Wait, what? How did you get the game already? :)

While the answers to the questions sound encouraging, I'm still hesitating and will wait for reviews of people who played the game.* One trailer of cutscenes and two of karaoke sessions doesn't tell me enough about a game that is supposed to be about playing a pirate.

*This sounds worse than it is, as I do this with most games anyway and very rarely buy anything on release.

Totally this. I want this one to be good, but the lack of info and the delays just do not bode well. This game is (until further notice) disappointment waiting to happen. :p

I have a "Sneak Peek" version of the game on my PC, not the full retail version. I am writing a preview for the game so the developer sent me the dev version to play.

I wouldn't file this one under the disappointment section just yet. :)

I have a "Sneak Peek" version of the game on my PC, not the full retail version. I am writing a preview for the game so the developer sent me the dev version to play.

I wouldn't file this one under the disappointment section just yet. :)

Alright. That's some mildly promising news at least. I look forward to reading your impressions. :)
How far in are you already?

I'm close to 3 hours in. I don't plan on playing much more, as to get the full experience you have to play the release version. For example, voice acting isn't much in this version I'm playing. So, when it finally releases I will dig in and probably write a review for the site.

The impressions article is just going to a little article saying a few things about what I think thus far. In fact, it's almost done already and should be ready to post soon. Stay tuned. :)

@Fluent:

Some questions:

• Does everybody has scabbards?
  • Are the pistols cocked before fired?
  • Do the enemies reload and how does it looks like?
  • Does the ships look different than the ships shown in the last trailer and on screenshots?
  • How does the GUI looks like?
  • Are there environment kills?
  • Does dead bodies disappear before the player's eyes?

Can you post screenshots if so please post screenshots of the ships :)

@Fluent:

Some questions:

• Does everybody has scabbards?
  • Are the pistols cocked before fired?
  • Do the enemies reload and how does it looks like?
  • Does the ships look different than the ships shown in the last trailer and on screenshots?
  • How does the GUI looks like?
  • Are there environment kills?
  • Does dead bodies disappear before the player's eyes?

Can you post screenshots if so please post screenshots of the ships :)

Thanks for your questions. This is what I can tell you.

Everyone has scabbards. The presentation is realistic and everyone looks like they should expect to look.

Pistols are cocked before firing. To reload, it takes some time, and it's not a good idea to try and reload in combat, unless you're far enough away or something.

The enemies reload and that is often a perfect time to attack them. They're not stupid, though, and will only reload if they think they have the right chance to do it.

The ships look great. I don't know what the trailer looks like, but they look good. There are frigates, schooners, man-o-wars, and more.

The GUI is very nice. It is not intrusive. All you have is a small XP bar at the bottom of the screen, and the small (and very useful) mini-map. The inventory screens are very easy to navigate and well done. You have one main screen with 6 different tabs for inventory, skills, crew, ship, etc. It's very easy and a pleasure to use.

Not sure what you mean by environment kills. You can fall of a high ledge and die, yes. You can also wreck your ship by hitting rocks. I've died many times thus far.

Dead bodies do not seem to disappear before your eyes. They remain to be looted after they are dead, and I noticed some of them still laying there when I traveled around the area. I was running back to my ship and saw a dead body and laughed because I killed that person much earlier.

Hope that helps. I'll be posting a short video soon of a walkthrough of one of the cities.

Thanks for your questions. This is what I can tell you.

Everyone has scabbards. The presentation is realistic and everyone looks like they should expect to look.

Perfect :)

With this the game is even better than Assassin's Cree would ever be in terms of model detail. Actually this made my day :)

Pistols are cocked before firing. To reload, it takes some time, and it's not a good idea to try and reload in combat, unless you're far enough away or something.

Cool, do you see how the enemy is reloading I mean do you actually see how the ramrod is removed and been used to ram the ball, also how long is the enemy reload animation?

The enemies reload and that is often a perfect time to attack them. They're not stupid, though, and will only reload if they think they have the right chance to do it.

Does the enemy uses the muskets as a club? In the screenshots every musket had bayonets already mounted are there enemies without already mounted bayonets?

The ships look great. I don't know what the trailer looks like, but they look good. There are frigates, schooners, man-o-wars, and more.

Puh difficult. OK

• Does shpis with three or more masts have a triangle sail as the lowest one?
  • Is there a sail at the bowsprit (the mast in front of the ship)?

Does the ship look more like this ship
http://www.modelships.de/French_Frigate_Chapman_31/gIMG_2160.jpg

or more like the ships shown in Assassin's Creed.

The GUI is very nice. It is not intrusive. All you have is a small XP bar at the bottom of the screen, and the small (and very useful) mini-map. The inventory screens are very easy to navigate and well done. You have one main screen with 6 different tabs for inventory, skills, crew, ship, etc. It's very easy and a pleasure to use.

Does the main screen has an immersive background like a book or is it just a modern transparent GUI?

Not sure what you mean by environment kills. You can fall of a high ledge and die, yes. You can also wreck your ship by hitting rocks. I've died many times thus far.

I meant more like environmental stealth kills e.g if a guard stays at a cliff, then Chris simply pushes it over the cliff or if the enemy stays around an environmental hazard, then Chris just uses the hazard to kill an enemy?

Dead bodies do not seem to disappear before your eyes. They remain to be looted after they are dead, and I noticed some of them still laying there when I traveled around the area. I was running back to my ship and saw a dead body and laughed because I killed that person much earlier.

Music in my ears :)

More questions:

• If you throw a knife can it be retrieved?
  • Are the clothes bloody, are there cut wounds?
  • Can enemies be disarmed during combat?

Hope that helps. I'll be posting a short video soon of a walkthrough of one of the cities.

Superb, thank you very much :)

Perfect :)

With this the game is even better than Assassin's Cree would ever be in terms of model detail. Actually this made my day :)

The art design is gorgeous and quite realistic. You see people loading guns, sharpening their weapons, fishing, etc.

Cool, do you see how the enemy is reloading I mean do you actually see how the ramrod is removed and been used to ram the ball, also how long is the enemy reload animation?

I don't recall if they use ramrods or not. The reload animation takes a few seconds. I had to run from several musketeers who were difficult to kill in an early mission. Sorry.

Does the enemy uses the muskets as a club? In the screenshots every musket had bayonets already mounted are there enemies without already mounted bayonets?

Not sure, I think they were stabbing me with the bayonets. I'll have to fight one of those guys again and see.

Puh difficult. OK

• Does shpis with three or more masts have a triangle sail as the lowest one?
  • Is there a sail at the bowsprit (the mast in front of the ship)?

Does the ship look more like this ship
http://www.modelships.de/French_Frigate_Chapman_31/gIMG_2160.jpg

or more like the ships shown in Assassin's Creed.

The ships don't look like that model, but they do have wires, masts, a few sails, etc. They are quite intricate, but not as intricate as that model. I haven't played AC so I don't know how they compare. They look good to me, though.

There are also people who man the sails, the sails move when you turn the wheel, ropes are pulled and tightened, etc. etc. I believe the more crew you have available to you, the better these things function.

Does the main screen has an immersive background like a book or is it just a modern transparent GUI?

The GUI is just nice and clean. Not really pirate-y or like a book or anything, just a greenish looking background.

I meant more like environmental stealth kills e.g if a guard stays at a cliff, then Chris simply pushes it over the cliff or if the enemy stays around an environmental hazard, then Chris just uses the hazard to kill an enemy?

Not sure, haven't seen any environmental hazards yet. I have snuck up behind a guy and shot him dead right in the head, though. That was fun. :)

Music in my ears :)

More questions:

• If you throw a knife can it be retrieved?
  • Are the clothes bloody, are there cut wounds?
  • Can enemies be disarmed during combat?

Haven't thrown any knives yet, sorry.

Clothes bloody, yes, in one cutscene when I was hurting someone, they were scarred and bloody in the cutscene.

Disarming enemies, not sure. I didn't see any mechanic like this yet but it could be introduced later.

Superb, thank you very much :)

You're welcome. Responses in bold. Here's the video I promised. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY4IPpmsuWk&feature=youtu.be . Watch it in 1080p60 (although I get low framerates with this particular build, hopefully fixed in the retail release).

You're welcome, Dean. The preview should be up whenever Myrthos gets to it. :)

You're welcome, Dean. The preview should be up whenever Myrthos gets to it. :)
Once again thank you Fluent for all you hard work. Your replies have eased some of my fears, but I still doubt the game will be released a week from now.:thumbsup:

You're very welcome, Couch. It's my pleasure. :)

The game has also been bug-free for me, believe it or not. The only thing missing is some side quests, a little more interactivity in the world, and voice acting. I am supposed to be getting a new version of the game with all the voice acting in place soon. That should be nice, because the cinematic style of the game will benefit from some great voice acting. The few scenes that had proper voiceovers that I heard so far have been very good and atmospheric.

I will also post a Let's Play when the version with voice acting is implemented. Maybe 5 episodes or so, just to show off a little bit of the mechanics. We shall see, we shall see :)

You're welcome, saki!

Controls are great. Very simple and easy to use. Combat feels good, although the pierce/stab move needs to be tweaked. There were times when I wanted to just slash, but I do this piercing move that needs to be very accurate to hit. I died a few times because my character kept doing this attack and missing while getting hit. :(

I also survived many battles by button mashing. I hope higher difficulty levels will be available that punish this style more.

The controls are sleek, though. So is the interface. It's all done really well and shows that Reality Pump has some experience with this stuff. It's what I would call 'useful' and 'effective'. No issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom