Solasta - Review @ Ye Old Entertainment

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Ye Old Entertainment applies his inimitable review treatment to Solasta.

Solasta Crown of the Magister review. Baldur's Gate III & Pathfinder Wrath of the Rigtheous fat bro?

Solasta Crown of the Magister is a D&D RPG with turn based combat that follows the 5th edition D&D ruleset. It was meant to be one of the big three D&D/pathfinder games to come out in the year 2021 along with Baldur's Gate III and Pathfinder Wrath of the righteous.

Solasta feels a bit like Icewind Dale with turn based combat and few additional twists. For some reason it got the "little ugly brother" treatment though. So let's find out why.

This review is based on a criteria that assigns weights to aspects of the game that are particularly important for me. It is not meant to be the ultimate truth about the game. Classic Role Playing Games are my favorite video game genre for a reason and there are a few things I expect from them... You can check our system of categories in one of our early videos.
https://youtu.be/QWD6AQWlIfw

Disclaimer: This is a computer RPG review, it's not meant to comment on the D&D ruleset or on how well the game implemented it in its mechanics.

More information.

He says sorcerer and druid classes are missing, but IIRC they're in the game so I'm not really sure what version of the game he's been playing. He also seems to make a mountain out of a few banters with the character personalities. ;) Otherwise, pretty good review.

He says sorcerer and druid classes are missing, but IIRC they're in the game so I'm not really sure what version of the game he's been playing. He also seems to make a mountain out of a few banters with the character personalities. ;) Otherwise, pretty good review.

Yeah, Sorcerer was released as a free DLC and the Druid class is part of the "Primal Calling" DLC.

I've enjoyed it so far although it's pretty linear, at least in the beginning. The story quality is perhaps comparable to Drakensang. The voice acting seems a little stilted, but it's adequate. I'd rate it positively worth playing, for those who like turn-based systems.

I've enjoyed it so far although it's pretty linear, at least in the beginning. The story quality is perhaps comparable to Drakensang. The voice acting seems a little stilted, but it's adequate. I'd rate it positively worth playing, for those who like turn-based systems.

I'm hoping their next DLC will be a more open world. One of my few complaints about the first campaign. That and monster variety. You can't have a D&D game without trolls and giants :p. That's like a message board without trolls.

One mans forum troll is another's hero. Some don't just want to read certain opinions about their beloved game. Still go read the read the codex if you want trolls.:lol:

I'm hoping their next DLC will be a more open world. One of my few complaints about the first campaign. That and monster variety. You can't have a D&D game without trolls and giants :p. That's like a message board without trolls.

I don't know how open the next campaign will be, but there's definitely more monsters coming. If you check "unlock all bestiary" in the game settings you can see work in progress monsters which don't have a thumbnail pic yet (and in some cases placeholder models).

I had a lot of fun with this game. It’s definitely not gonna compete with the AAA titles but it was a good time and pretty much bug-free. The fact that it’s the first title from a very small team is all the more impressive.

Last edited:

That would be the first DLC in history to have a bigger scope than the game it was adding onto.

I don't think it needs an open world. But a little better control over overland map movement would be good. It should at least let you withdraw to get a long rest.

I didn't understand "open-world game" from what @Hastar; said but rather a more populated world map and a little more freedom to select the destinations. It requires more work and testing, but it would be nice to have more choice, even if it's slightly shorter in scope.

Who knows, maybe the game made by Talyon is more like an open world. It would be a complete change of direction, but why not?

Back
Top Bottom