Last game you finished, tell us about it

Wasteland 3

I've just completed Wasteland 3. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere, great tactical battles with lot of options. It makes you take some hard moral/political decisions. I like how the game is not repetitive. Each fights is important.

Of course, it got a few weaknesses. The scope of the game is quite small. It's always the night(!), and always winter. Leveling is too fast, the game is too short, and I'm not a big fan of the steampunk style of its art direction.

Still, for me, it's a strong contender for the title of RPG of the Year 2020. Imo, it has few worthy opponents.

Agree with most of your points but I loved the humour and satire. I thought the writing was good.

Never having played a Wasteland game I found it very accessible and it has prompted me to get Wasteland 2 which I am now playing through. Yes iWasyeland 3 was very snowy but no more than Wasteland 2 is very sandy 😉

I liked the fact I finished the game still feeling uneasy as to whether I backed the right horse....I stuck by the Patriarch....

After almost a month of playing, I finished Ara Fell yesterday. What a fun romp this game was, it's one of those games that you think might occupy a few days or a week, but turned out to be much deeper than I first anticipated. Graphic-wise it's a bit of a throw back, but the story and combat are excellent, and they integrated some really nice crafting options. The exploration is truly where this game shines, and if you wish to excel at the crafting segments, you'll need to harvest as well. You eventually control four characters, each having their own personal story/quests to do as well, leading to some of the best gear available. I'm not going to spoil any of the details, it's just too good of a game to sully like that, all I can say is if you enjoy the genre and these type of games, you'll adore Ara Fell!

And I also, once again, stopped playing Everquest Two. After over a year of playing and revisiting the older content offered, I've parked my characters and ceased raiding. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to either franchise, as I really dislike how even the classic servers are still integrated in some ways with the current ones, and that's just not what I'm looking for these days. I'll keep my mmo options open with Pantheon for now, and that's likely about it.

I'm not going to spoil any of the details, it's just too good of a game to sully like that, all I can say is if you enjoy the genre and these type of games, you'll adore Ara Fell!

I feel sure that saying what genre it is and what kind of game it is wouldn't be considered a spoiler.

Just finished The Medium. Overall, I liked it quite a bit. The story was good and nicely told. Had a few emotional moments. But I think what's more important about the story and world building is how it makes you ponder on their view of what limbo might look like. The concept in itself is very cool, and can even be a quite horrifying view of what might be going on outside our perception of the real world. They really managed to win me over, since I always considered the idea of a medium to be quite lame, especially how it's usually depicted in regular cinema/tv. But they actually made it the concept very cool, and I loved the implementation of the rules of the world.

Graphically, it is quite astounding most of the time. Especially the spirit dimension. They got serious artists working on this game. The skin/stone/blood elements were gorgeously grotesque. That along with the music kept my heart-rate up in the hundreds.

The music was also pretty great. I hear it's from the composer that worked on Silent Hill? Because I surely felt similarities.

The voice acting, was great to good to so-so. Also, hearing the voice actor that did Diego in Gothic 1 and Vesemir in Witcher 3, was very distracting. That dude really needs to learn to change his voice. He's a good actor, but he always sounds the same, and it pulls me right out.

Gameplay is very light. It's mostly small puzzles and walking around, enjoying the scenery and advancing the plot. The only bothersome part of the game was the sometimes split frame between the physical and the spirit dimension. I understand the intention, and I've no idea how else they could've done it to meet their story requirements, but it also drastically cut the screen realestate in half, and you constantly find it hard to switch between the two. Or you focus on one, and forget about the other only to then notice you're missing items/triggers in that one.

Another negative is the ending which I feel didn't exactly land, at least for me. It's decent, but I expected something much more outlandish.

Overall, I'd say I enjoyed myself. I think it's an 7.5/10 from me.

Last edited:
Disco Elysium.

It sounded like a game I'd never play. A game with a set male protagonist where you take the role of an amnesic detective in charge of solving a murder mystery, developed by untested devs. It pretty much ticked all the boxes to avoid the game. However... continuously hearing my husband giggling hysterically whenever he fired up the game next to me and hearing universally high praise of the game convinced me to give it a go.

Disco Elysium has an exceptional atmosphere that caught my attention almost straight away. The opening dialogue with your... "subconscious" voices was so powerful, I started to have this image of a fallen hero as my character (note: you don't get to see your character's appearance during the character creation). The dialogues were coming to an end, and I held my breath to finally see my character for the first time. Lo and behold. This was completely something I did not imagine. He looked... horrendous... and most importantly, so... *pathetic*. I could not think of a better word to describe him. PATHETIC. So pathetic that he almost got himself killed before he even left his room. It didn't take long for my impression of him to reach another rock bottom, as I started to hear a barrage of horrendous and idiotic things my character's been doing for the past few days at the hostel he had been staying at, instead of investigating his assigned murder case.

To be brutally honest, at this point I was seriously considering calling it quits. I'm not used to taking a role of an idiot who causes so much chaos everywhere and having to apologise to almost everyone I have met in the game (this literally won me an achievement called "Literally the sorriest cop on Earth"). But I held on, remembering those dialogues in the very beginning and heeding my husband's words. In the end, I was very glad I did not give up. It was a hell of a journey, a wild rollercoaster ride of emotions.

I had a love/hate relationship with my character. He was just not built to take phsyical and emotional abuses he had to endure throughout the game - at one point, he took so much abuse that he literally "slid off a chair like a shot of jello". But there were also times when he wowed everyone (including myself) with his sharp observation and critical analytical skills - the game does a brilliant job of showing this off through their art/visual direction, like how my character determines the number and sizes of footprints or a projectory of bullet etc. But above all else, I could relate to him as a human being. The main purpose of the game is not only to solve a murder mystery but to find out more about your character, by interacting with locals to obtain clues of murder as well as your past. There were some really tender, poignant moments in game as he starts to regain memories of someone so special to him. Those moments are executed in almost perfection, it shook me so hard as if I'm experiencing my own emotions, making me wallow in a unholy mixture of happiness, sorrow and hope.

It was those moments that really helped me to get through the game. While I enjoyed the game overall, there were also some elements that I disliked a lot. The game is rather adult themed and it really describes some things I don't feel comfortable with in great detail. For example, the game's lore is heavily based on political issues - granted, they were very well-written and well-thought out, but it wasn't my cup of tea to read through what seems to be endless texts of different political views of various NPCs in order to progress the story and quests. The game also features poor pathfinding which made me extremely frustrated thinking that I was unable to get to where I needed to go. There's also this inconvinience of having to earn daily living for a while in order to pay for the room you are staying at. You can easily get by first few days with "help" from some people but it is worthwhile to unlock the next area as soon as possible (which would be day 3 of your journey) to address the money issue.

The game is largely divided into 4 areas - you start off at the Martinaise waterfront and will unlock other areas as the story progress. There are many NPCs scattered throughout these 4 areas and I ended up building meaningful relationship with many NPCs, including those who seem so minor when you first meet them. The game encourages you to explore all dialogue options and some dialogue options initially seem totally meaningless and absurd. Little did I know, one of these conversations I had with a NPC ended up having such a huge impact on me. My character proceeded on annoy the hell out of this NPC at the bookshop with some absurd hypothetical theory of his. To my surprise, later I discovered that this theory kind of actually happened, which causes grief for that poor NPC. It most likely was a matter of unfortunate coincidence but it sure made me feel terrible - I couldn't shake off the feeling I jinxed the whole thing. To make things worse, it was my character's duty as a cop to deliver the bad news to her and he just had to fail a critical skill check - ensuring that he told her the news in the most unprofessional way possible, causing her even more grief. I literally couldn't live with the consequences of how bad a job my character did in sharing the news that I had reload the game.

My husband was also playing Disco Elysium at the same time and we kept pace with each other so we could discuss how we felt about each NPC and quest. He certainly did not feel the massive guilt I felt towards the aforementioned NPC and we've ended up making very different choices in how we dealt with each NPC which led us building completely different relationship with each character too. This really showed how much impact the choices you make has on your character. I no longer saw my character as "a male, detective, drunkard, pathetic idiot". He was representation of "me" - it was amazing.

There is no combat in Disco Elysium so it is fair to say the game is solely based on reading and skill checks - which meant it is not ideal to play the game in short bursts, however this also left me feeling extremely exhausted by the end of each session. This resulted in me skipping some of dialogues mindlessly and I ended up missing out a big warning saying "do not progress any further if you want to explore all side quests" bit. So, I reached the "point of no return" without a very important item in my possession which ended up costing the lives of some people near the end of the game. My advice is to try not to let each session get too long so you don't make the same mistake I did! From my experience, Disco Elysium doesn't seem like a game with lots of replayability as its heavily story and narritive driven and it would be wise to explore all quests in a single playthrough. I ended up finishing the game at the 19.6hour mark - I'm not sure if this is a good representation of the game's length since I haven't finished all side quests but at the same time, I'm a very slow reader.

I'd rate the game 8/10 - recommended to those who love to immerse themselves in excellent roleplaying experience but doesn't mind too much reading.

@Morrandir; - thought I'd tag you for this ;)

@purpleblob;: Great review! Will surely help people, who haven't played it yet to decide if it might be worth a try for them!
I love this game.

Last edited:
@purpleblob;: Great review! Will surely help people, who haven't played it yet to decide if it might be worth a try for them!
I love this game.

Thanks :) I really enjoyed Disco Elysium as well. Still not decided whether I should replay this once the final cut is out.

With all the praise here I'm looking forward to disco as well, but I will wait until summer when the final edition comes out with full voice acting.

Yep good review @purpleblob but nope it wont convince me to play it. As your review highlighted almost everything I hate about the game, and I'm set in my opinion.

Yep good review @purpleblob but nope it wont convince me to play it. As your review highlighted almost everything I hate about the game, and I'm set in my opinion.

That's perfectly fine, Couch - I'm not trying to sell the game here but rather trying to give informative view so you guys can all make your own decision on whether you want to play the game or not ;)

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, @purpleblob;! It's very informative.

Limiting the session length is a necessity I learned too, even if I can't always heed the advice and I rush the gameplay instead, just to see the end of a chapter or an important quest.

Do you think the voice acting in the Final Cut would add much to the game? I'm not reading fast either, but it's still faster than going through spoken dialogs, so if there's a lot to them perhaps it would make some parts even longer and probably less enjoyable (thinking of the political discussions that you and others mentioned). Even if sometimes it's more relaxing to hear than to read.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, @purpleblob;! It's very informative.

Limiting the session length is a necessity I learned too, even if I can't always heed the advice and I rush the gameplay instead, just to see the end of a chapter or an important quest.

Do you think the voice acting in the Final Cut would add much to the game? I'm not reading fast either, but it's still faster than going through spoken dialogs, so if there's a lot to them perhaps it would make some parts even longer and probably less enjoyable (thinking of the political discussions that you and others mentioned). Even if sometimes it's more relaxing to hear than to read.

Thanks for reading :)

It terms of whether full voice acting will add to game or not - it's hard to say. The current version only voices very impactful moments (like the tender moment I've mentioned in the review, which makes that scene even more special). So, I'm afraid adding full voice to all dialogues *may* diminish the impact of that scene. In saying that, if all VOs are as excellent as that tender moment, it may add to game.

Maybe I'll give it a try now, and see if I want to wait for the Final Cut. I think they'll add more than just voice-acting though (among other things, "New Political Vision Quests" :lol:).

Do you think the voice acting in the Final Cut would add much to the game?
I didn't miss voice acting in the game. The graphics and text create so much atmosphere that more is really not necessary.
I have to admit, however, that i am a fast reader and skip dialogue as soon as I saw the text so I am not the "voice acting type" anyways.

I didn't miss voice acting in the game. The graphics and text create so much atmosphere that more is really not necessary.
I have to admit, however, that i am a fast reader and skip dialogue as soon as I saw the text so I am not the "voice acting type" anyways.
I usually don't miss it either (in other games), though I enjoy it when it's there and well made, for instance D:OS 2 is great to listen to! As @purpleblob; said, it's interesting to have it for significant dialogs, it makes them more impactful and emphasizes their importance.

Thanks to both for your answers! :)

Great review Purple, and kudos for making me choke on my water as I read the, "slid off a chair like a shot of jello" line. I'm not sure if the game is one I'd like but your review literally had me in stitches!

Great review Purple, and kudos for making me choke on my water as I read the, "slid off a chair like a shot of jello" line. I'm not sure if the game is one I'd like but your review literally had me in stitches!

That's the line from the game ;) I was laughing and crying at the same time when that happened.

Cyberpunk 2077. I thought to write a review but figured that anyone interested in this site has already finished the game. Will use my time for something more useful than writing reviews. All in all, I enjoyed the game a lot, but I think the Witcher 3 was better.

Cyberpunk 2077. I thought to write a review but figured that anyone interested in this site has already finished the game. Will use my time for something more useful than writing reviews. All in all, I enjoyed the game a lot, but I think the Witcher 3 was better.

Thanks for taking the time to inform us you wont be taking the time.

Back
Top Bottom