Star Citizen Info Thread

So, 3.2 went live - and represents the second major update that CIG has delivered as planned, and on schedule.

It's also the first time I, personally, have enjoyed the alpha as an actual game - and not just as an impressive technology demo.

They've improved the frame rate quite a bit - and while it's not exactly smooth, it's possible to have entire game sessions with 30-45+ FPS and only limited stuttering.

3.3 will be the biggest tech advance since the 64-bit precision conversion, and it will also be the biggest content drop. With object container streaming, asynchronous spawning and network bind culling - they will have tackled the last major obstacles when it comes to performance.

If they manage to deliver those things - all of which they're saying are "must haves" for the content fidelity to be possible in 3.3 (meaning they can't really delay it), I predict the game will be quite smooth and pleasantly playable in October.

From there, it will be more a matter of tuning the amount of players per instance - and server meshing will be instrumental in making that work well. Like anything else, they're extremely ambitious - but I'm still sceptical when it comes to performance with multiple capital ships involved.

Still, things are going well - and I'm very pleased with progress this year.

Also, here's a recent interview with Chris Roberts - where he's being very candid about challenges and missed release dates:

Very informative if you're genuinely curious about the project and why it's taking so long.

I haven't followed this much but it looks like it's going to be the kind of thing that really advances technology for games for the future but will fail in its own right...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It is not. Eve in it's core is a phonegame MMO without any kind of singleplayer campaign.

Isn't this game a lot like eve ?

I term of space travel and trading, sorta. In term of actual gameplay, no.

Isn't this game a lot like eve ?

Think of Eve as an ASCII CRPG and Star Citizen as Witcher 3 - and you will get some idea of how they're alike and not alike.

Both are space games with similar features, but in terms of gameplay, lore, immersion and fidelity - they couldn't be more different.

All I know is that star citizen has an incredibly large budget and cost a lot to play - well if you want any sort of ship (at least that's what I've read i haven't played).
-
Also didn't they cancel the single player campaign or did they bring that back ?

All I know is that star citizen has an incredibly large budget and cost a lot to play - well if you want any sort of ship (at least that's what I've read i haven't played).
-
Also didn't they cancel the single player campaign or did they bring that back ?

Sounds like you don't really know anything :)

You can earn all the ships in-game - which is part of the fun. At least, I wouldn't want to start with anything but a basic ship - even if I was paid to do it.

For me, games like Privateer or Freelancer are all about the journey and not the destination. Not that ships are the destination in Star Citizen. They're more like roles or classes in an RPG - and you have to evolve and maintain them to progress.

Last time I checked, Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are 60$ combined (cheaper when on sale) - which is pretty cheap for two gigantic AAA games. Star Citizen will have thousands of hours of content - and Squadron 42 will be like all the Wing Commander games combined in terms of story and content. IIRC, the first chapter is something like 70 missions alone - and that's not including all the things you do on the side.

I won't even get into the production values or the level of fidelity.

But if you want to support the game beyond a starter ship, you can pledge for more expensive ships as token rewards. They've gone out of their way explaining that expensive ships are NOT intended as an in-game advantage - but a way to support the development of the game for people with money to burn.

Much like most kickstarter/crowd-funded games have expensive tiers for support.

No, they didn't cancel the singleplayer campaign.

Squadron 42 is the single player campaign? So if the two games are $60 does this make squardron 42 $30 ? I'm not interested in the multi-player stuff - too much of a time sink to keep up.

Squadron 42 is the single player campaign? So if the two games are $60 does this make squardron 42 $30 ? I'm not interested in the multi-player stuff - too much of a time sink to keep up.

I believe it's more expensive when you buy it alone - close to 60$. But it's been on sale several times - and I'm sure you can get it cheaper than that.

When I pledged back in 2013, both games were something like 45$ combined with my starter package.

But they increased the price at some point - and I don't really follow that.

They've never cancelled single player. I would have been MOST upset if they had.

However, they have delayed the thing I was kinda hoping for: private servers. Seems to me like one of those would be more fun than getting in on a big, international game.

Well I'm not going to preorder - i'll have to wait to see what the released single player game turns into. As I said the multi player stuff just doesn't interest me anymore since I prefer things i can put down at a whim.

I would never recommend pre-ordering anything.

That said, this isn't a pre-order - it's a pledge. It's investing in a game you have faith in and want to support.

It makes no sense to pledge for something you don't feel good about. I certainly wouldn't.

So i sort of asked this in the game we are playing but is this like eve where teams conquer regions of space and there is an epic combat to control the galaxy ? That's sort of the reason i asked about the BIG reset when it goes full release; because if players invest mega time/$$ winning control of a quadrant won't they be pissed when it is all thrown away ?

Think of Eve as an ASCII CRPG and Star Citizen as Witcher 3 - and you will get some idea of how they're alike and not alike.
You got thumb up for this, but I have to ask.
You sure instead of Witcher shouldn't be Destiny? :evilgrin:

You got thumb up for this, but I have to ask.
You sure instead of Witcher shouldn't be Destiny? :evilgrin:

It's true, Destiny is somewhat like Witcher 3 when it comes to shallow gameplay with the emphasis on the spectacle :)

But it was the best I could think of in the heat of the moment, that would register.

In terms of gameplay complexity, Star Citizen is absurdly evolved - but I couldn't think of a modern CRPG with strong production values that has enough complexity to be a good fit.

I dropped from my chair reading that first sentence. For days I didn't laugh as much.

As about Star Citizen's gameplay, it can autocomple for all I care. What I want to know is if it's PC game or is aimed to illiterate, blind, slow and tasteless console audience.

It's a PC exclusive.

It's also deliberately aiming for high-end hardware.

Haven't seen a game so blatantly side-stepping the majority of the audience for the sake of progress and evolution since the 90s.

But Chris Roberts always did that with his games.

That said, I suspect it will run pretty well with somewhat decent gear.

When it's not server bottlenecked, it already runs quite well on, say, an Nvidia 970 GPU.

Cmon you can do better than that, exclusivity does not describe design, for example VC was console exclusive for a decade and it's in fact a PC game.

You've seen at least one game blatantly "sidesteping" from your own expectations. To name a few: TW3, FF15, DX:MD. Mentioning those few very different games, there is something they have in common, and it's not just spectacular music or options that will make even the newest technology sweating despite optimized code.
I have yet to see what they did with hair in Star Citizen.

If you're talking about sidestepping with MMOing, man, cmon. There is no such thing. MMOs suck. All. WoW, LoL, MapleStory and PUBG might be the best moneyearners of all time, but they suck.

Back
Top Bottom