Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TechRaptor has reviewed the addon Blood and Wine for Witcher 3:

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Review – Sad to See it Go

The level of quality CD Projekt RED was able to achieve with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was simply astounding, as I said in that review. Their ability to keep that quality consistent with the 30+ hours of more content in Hearts of Stone and now Blood and Wine is a true feat. Where Hearts of Stone was able to give you a great, focused storyline, with some other small additions to be sure, Blood and Wine offers more of that original Witcher 3 experience with plenty of sidequests to do, places to explore, characters to meet, and more.

[...]

It’s sad to see the likely end of CD Projekt RED’s Witcher series. Not being able to look forward to more content in the stunningly detailed world of the Witcher 3 is certainly tragic for any fan out there. I’ve never liked this saying, nor given it much merit, but this is the first time I truly understand when people say they’re jealous of others experiencing some book, game, movie, etc. for the first time. Blood and Wine did wonders to add to that feeling and is a more than adequate send-off for the series. As CD Projekt RED showed how to do an open-world RPG by establishing Wild Hunt, they’ve shown how expansions and DLC should be handled as well.

Obviously, if you liked the base game, and Hearts of Stone, you’ll really enjoy Blood and Wine.

Score: 9/10

More information.

A DLC got 9/10?

What, it's standalone?

A DLC got 9/10?

What, it's standalone?
It's a full expansion and not another five hour $15 DLC Joxer.:p

Anyway seems most reviewers love the game and both expansions. Also to me Witcher III was one to the best RPGs I have ever played in the last five years.

I cant wait to play Cyberpunk 2077, and the rumored new IP they are developing.

A DLC got 9/10?

What, it's standalone?

Standalone story with 20-30 hours of content on a whole new landmass. It's basically a fourth The Witcher game really.

Too much cutscenes in the first hour for my liking though.

Those reviewers are not rational and are promoting bad4customer business.
If DLC (any) is that good, it should have been either standalone or a completely new game (TW3.5).

EDIT for azarhal:
Standalone means I can run it without ever seeing or playing any other TW thing and it's resources can't be taken into the "main" game.
Example1 - FarCry3 - Blood Dragon
Example2 - DX:HR - The Missing Link
Example3 - AC4 - Freedom Cry
Example4 - Dishonored - The Knife of Dunwall / Brigmore Witches

EDIT2:
Consoles compare and pics vs PC by Digital Foundry:

I know I'm being a douche again, but seeing this video I could never accept playing this game on any of those consoles.

Last edited:
EDIT for azarhal:
Standalone means I can run it without ever seeing or playing any other TW thing and it's resources can't be taken into the "main" game.

You can start it right away without playing the base game or use an existing save. If you don't use an existing save, you'll get a prefab Geralt.

I haven't check if I can go back from Toussaint to Velen, but I have no reasons to go back to Velen having done everything there so...

Seriously? So if I never played the main game I can push right away on DLC? I did finish the main game, but hypothetically if I was a modern reviewer who never finishes games but bases impressions on the first game hour only like IGN and others, and now I'm interested only in DLC, I can jump right in it?

In that case such product can definetly go to 10/10 if you ask me. If it's that good.

Yes you get that choice and your Geralt will get gear and level 34 right away.

Apart from everyday finding a new gem like Trapped (icelandic TV series, refreshing, exotic, superb), completing my surreal comics collection (finally bought Locke & Key, that reminds me I have to pic it and put in just bought thread), wars on GPU front where everyone wins with more power for less $, etc, etc…

In fact seems the only thing that doesn't please me is - current state of videogames industry and videogaming journalism.
Both turned into a swamp filled with snakes, crocodiles and aligators lurking. Here and there you can find an orchid. But it's superrare.

Does anything please Joxer these days ?

It surprises how Joxer feels <ahem> surprised to see the Blood and Wine got 9/10.
RPGWatch have been publishing all available reviews for this expansion and I think none of them is below 9.

Haven't you seen the news here, man? Are you late to the TW3 party? What, nobody told you? Now get your ticket, grab some beer and enter either this door (http://store.steampowered.com/app/378648/) or this (https://www.gog.com/game/witcher_3_wild_hunt_the_blood_and_wine_pack)

I really need to make you a grenadier for that XCOM2's RPGWatch Team I assembled a couple of months ago… :)

Just finished the expansion, and it is crazy good. Developers put there all the love they had.

I'm 150 hours in and haven't even started the two expansions. Very looking forward to it, though.
I'm a bit suprised that this game can keep my enthusiasm for so long. The gameplay is not the most complex and even on the hardest difficulty I rip through everything.
I think it is the beautiful and live world and the great lore and stories.
With Witcher I I gave up after two thirds and watched the rest of the story on YouTube. Witcher II I played through, but was glad when I finished it after 55 hours.
With Witcher III I estimate 300 hours playtime and will surely start another NewGame+ run down the road.

I dislike almost all DLC. Once I have finished a game I usually do not want to go back to it, except maybe years later to play it again. I almost never buy DLC, with the only exceptions being two for the Mass Effect series (neither of which I particularly enjoyed) and Hearts of Stone for TW3 (which I only somewhat enjoyed).

However, I am enjoying Blood and Wine a whole lot so far after about 10 hours. I can see that it will be easily worth my while and the cost.

Someone get this man some food and drinks...before he dies here, quickly! :p

Does anything please Joxer these days ?

No. Joxer hates everything. Even you. Even me. It's terrible and it keeps me awake at night. :(

;)

(I was actually surprised to see positive comments about Dragon Age: Inquisition... the bears have won, is all I'm gonna say. :D)

Back
Top Bottom