Alien RPG - Rumour: Canceled by Sega?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Kotaku has posted an unconfirmed rumour that Sega has canceled Obsidian's Alien RPG. Citing "sources", they claim 20 developers have been laid off in the wake of the news.
That said, they acknowledge recent Sega PR on a new Aliens project that refers in passing to titles already in development.
Looking around the web, there are plenty of second-hand rumours but Sega's only response so far is to say they "do not respond to speculation or rumor questions". Obsidian's Matthew Rorie did say this on the forums:
I hope you guys understand that we really can't say anything. You guys are our community and I think you deserve some kind of comment, but unfortunately that comment is "no comment."
More information.

That's basically just the same rumour. Both Joystiq and Kotaku tend to be right sooner than wrong, tho'... I'm guessing we'll have to wait a bit for official word.

But Sega's troubles, the plausibility of the scenario and Obsidian refusing to comment all but confirms this as true. :|

Yes, It's alarming that neither Obsidian nor Sega issued a (non-)denial. Makes the impression there is nothing to deny.

Had already added the Joystiq bit but you guys commented too fast.

Feels real to me, although I think the Obsidian sinking thing at Joystiq is over the top.

Real shame - was really interested in this, despite the little information. Desslock hinted it had some sort of stategic Xcom angle.

Feels real to me, although I think the Obsidian sinking thing at Joystiq is over the top.

Probably is, but it does mean their fate is tied pretty closely to Alpha Protocol. Closelier than it was, anyway.

Man, hopefully they won't close. I'm not a huge fan of Obsidian, but I liked NWN2 + MOTB a lot. Hopefully not even the Alien Rpg is off the table, might have been decent.

I have a hard time imagining how good a crpg would be in that universe anyways.

I really hope they don't cancel Aliens: Colonial Marines though, I was looking forward to blasting some Aliens FPS style.

Dammit. I was interested in the Alien RPG, not that much in Alpha Protocol. But it seems as if I'm going to buy that game the day it ships. Not much, but at least a small contribution. I hope Obsidian finds another funding. Maybe Atari? Another D&D game?

I'm going to have to see Atari weather the current crisis before I'd tag them as a likely future publisher.

Obsidian does have an unannounced RPG still going (at least, so I assume, maybe it's been axed as well), no idea who is publishing that.

they've been dropping hints about NWN3 when usually they've nipped that discussion in the bud as "premature". At least once I remember they redirected the conversation away from another possible expansion to a NWN3. I mean, what does Atari really have left?

I mean, what does Atari really have left?
Test Drive Unlimited and several anime titles (Dragon Ball Z, Narruto). They are also merging with Namco Bandai, it seems. At least the announcement of their partnership seemed to me like a merger in installments.

But a NWN3 from Obsidian would be nice. Or Baldur's Gate 3. Though I'm not sure what to think about D&D 4E. It's not popular in germany. I only hope, Obsidian get a grip on their technical problems. It's always the same old song. Good content, bad technical design.

It would be logical. NWN 2 got more than the planned ROI for that game fund. NWN 3 & Atari & Obsidian would be a bankable combination.

What means ROI?

Return on Investment.

Test Drive Unlimited and several anime titles (Dragon Ball Z, Narruto). They are also merging with Namco Bandai, it seems. At least the announcement of their partnership seemed to me like a merger in installments.

But a NWN3 from Obsidian would be nice. Or Baldur's Gate 3. Though I'm not sure what to think about D&D 4E. It's not popular in germany. I only hope, Obsidian get a grip on their technical problems. It's always the same old song. Good content, bad technical design.

Are these AAA PC tiltes? Regardless, it sounds positive for the company beause they sure didn't have many console titles when I last looked.

From what several groups of friends in the US and Canada tell me, 4e is very good and doing very well. Don't quote me on that - maybe some numbers guy can show us.
--
So to add some fuel to a stretched out fire what does this mean if Obsidian goes under and this unannounced RPG title possibly called NWN3 is suddenly scrapped?

I have a hard time imagining how good a crpg would be in that universe anyways.

I thought that at first but then considered all the different possible roles you could need to survive in such an environment, and it got much more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom