Elden Ring - Gameplay Clip - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elden Ring - Gameplay Clip

Default Elden Ring - Gameplay Clip

October 17th, 2021, 08:48
@DSOGaming A new gameplay clip for Elden Ring.

A new video was leaked earlier today, showcasing 25 seconds of brand new gameplay footage from Elden Ring. Now I know this isn't much, but I'm certain that all Elden Ring fans will appreciate it as it can give them a glimpse at the game's visuals and art style. Also, and according to the leaker, this gameplay footage is from the Xbox One version. So yeah, don't expect next-gen visuals from this clip.

[…]

https://streamable.com/ohtwj8
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

October 17th, 2021, 09:17
I posted a link to the same clip a little while ago but didn't know what platform it was from. I'm glad to hear it's Xbox One footage because I found it underwhelming from a visual standpoint.

Hopefully there's a significant difference between that and the next-gen/PC versions.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)

October 17th, 2021, 09:44
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I posted a link to the same clip a little while ago but didn't know what platform it was from. I'm glad to hear it's Xbox One footage because I found it underwhelming from a visual standpoint.

Hopefully there's a significant difference between that and the next-gen/PC versions.
I'm sure the graphics will be better but I'm more interested in there being fluid animations and movement. The game seems rather like Dark Souls but with jumping and an openish world. I don't mind that as I like exploring but the world seems rather generic from that clip. Its not a big bother for me through in all honesty. I will likely receive the game much differently as I search for interesting places to see.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

October 17th, 2021, 09:57

I wouldn't expect much of a difference between PC and console. Their games have never been on the high-end of visuals in terms of pure technical ability. It's more often that they have nice to great graphical design, but in terms of pure visual fidelity I wouldn't expect much. The little snippet looks fine to me. Gameplay, level design and combat encounters is where they truly shine.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

October 17th, 2021, 10:27
Dark Souls with jumping is going to be an interesting experience. I'm quite looking forward to play this one.

Nereida

Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

October 17th, 2021, 11:04
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I wouldn't expect much of a difference between PC and console. Their games have never been on the high-end of visuals in terms of pure technical ability. It's more often that they have nice to great graphical design, but in terms of pure visual fidelity I wouldn't expect much. The little snippet looks fine to me. Gameplay, level design and combat encounters is where they truly shine.
Idk, the PS5 Demon's Souls remake looks amazing compared to that. Yeah, I know the remake was done by a third party, but it shows how much better the visual fidelity is on the newer consoles compared to last-gen.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 17th, 2021, 11:28
Idk, the PS5 Demon's Souls remake looks amazing compared to that. Yeah, I know the remake was done by a third party, but it shows how much better the visual fidelity is on the newer consoles compared to last-gen.
Yeah, but that's also a console exclusive. I would suspect that since they knew the underlying hardware was fixed they could optimize their code to hell and back. The same for most console exclusive if you look at Last of Us and God of War, for ex. Compared to needing to run on multiple consoles and PCs, where you probably need to code against a more generic API, or maybe multiple depending on the platform. I would imagine anyway.

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat too much how it looks. Sekiro and Bloodborne also looked pretty great, but also mostly due to design. Elden Ring, on the other hand, looks more like Dark Souls and the same as with Dark Souls, that's more generic medieval fantasy. So I assume Elden Ring will suffer from some of the genericity, if that's a word.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2021, 11:49
Yeah, but that's also a console exclusive. I would suspect that since they knew the underlying hardware was fixed they could optimize their code to hell and back. The same for most console exclusive if you look at Last of Us and God of War, for ex. Compared to needing to run on multiple consoles and PCs, where you probably need to code against a more generic API, or maybe multiple depending on the platform. I would imagine anyway.

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat too much how it looks. Sekiro and Bloodborne also looked pretty great, but also mostly due to design. Elden Ring, on the other hand, looks more like Dark Souls and the same as with Dark Souls, that's more generic medieval fantasy. So I assume Elden Ring will suffer from some of the genericity, if that's a word.
I don't consider Dark Souls generic medieval fantasy. In fact, I don't think it resembles medieval fantasy much at all. More like a twisted nightmare version of it.

As for the visuals, being available for last-gen doesn't mean there won't be a significant difference on newer consoles and PC. Of course I also realize it also doesn't mean there will be one either. It all depends on what the studio does and how much effort they put into taking advantage of the superior hardware.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 17th, 2021, 12:00
I don't consider Dark Souls generic medieval fantasy. In fact, I don't think it resembles medieval fantasy much at all. More like a twisted nightmare version of it.
Yeah, I guess I meant it's more of hodge-podge of medieval fantasy mixed with other stuff that's imo doesn't really work that well. And so for me the result is a generic kind of mess. It does have some charm, but mostly feels very direction-less.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2021, 22:30
It's a beautiful landscape with a lot of features that look ripe for exploration, but, other than a couple of birds and one of those caravans we've seen guarded by hollows in another clip, it seems rather devoid of objects. I suppose they're all too far away to be drawn, for the sake of performance. I'd assume that caravan also has guards. I hope they don't pop in too much. Could be pretty jarring to view the swamp from the top of those rocks, think it looks empty and safe, then suddenly a bunch of monsters pop in right in front of you.

I'm also reminded of other open world games, such as Elderscrolls, which are often referred to as "walking simulators" where there's so much open space with nothing going on that the devs just pack it full of herbs and berries to collect. I hope we're not in for more of that tedium.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

October 18th, 2021, 17:47
I've just removed a similar news post, I apparently missed this one.

They also announced the game would be delayed by about one month, should be released on Feb 25th instead. There's a possibility to participate to a closed beta but it's for consoles only.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

October 18th, 2021, 18:00
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post

They also announced the game would be delayed by about one month, should be released on Feb 25th instead.
NOOOOOOOO!! I usually don’t mind delays too much but I’m so looking forward to this. I finished nioh 2 months ago and have nothing to scratch my souls itch.

sakichop

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 18th, 2021, 18:05
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
NOOOOOOOO!! I usually don’t mind delays too much but I’m so looking forward to this. I finished nioh 2 months ago and have nothing to scratch my souls itch.
There are quite a few 2D Souls-likes on PC if you have any interest in trying those.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

October 18th, 2021, 23:09
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
There are quite a few 2D Souls-likes on PC if you have any interest in trying those.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried a few of the 2d ones though and they just don’t do it for me.

sakichop

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2021, 17:21
Speaking of gameplay clips, apparently there's going to be an official 15min gameplay video released in aprox 20h, tomorrow. Nice. Seems we're getting the same footage that other press people have seen weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JldMvQMO_5U

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

+1:

November 3rd, 2021, 17:59
!!!!Warning Shitpost Incoming you have been warned!!!!

Spoiler – Proably Offensive.

--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2021, 21:49
Speaking of gameplay clips, apparently there's going to be an official 15min gameplay video released in aprox 20h, tomorrow. Nice. Seems we're getting the same footage that other press people have seen weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JldMvQMO_5U
Cool. Hopefully it's the PC version. I want to see what it looks like on current gen.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

November 4th, 2021, 17:01
It's live.
I've put it in the news

Redglyph