W40K: Inquisitor-Martyr - Review @ PC Powerplay

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Powerplay has reviewed Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr:

Review: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr

FOR EMPER... or... Look, I really can't get excited about this any more.

I’m not the only one who’s a little jaded by the rapid release date of games based on Games Workshop franchises. As the satirical games website Point and Clickbait notes, it feels like just about anyone can get into the action. So it’s rare that a game like Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr comes along – that is, a game that I’m actually genuinely keen to play.

Martyr – no WAY am I saying the overblown full name every time – is essentially grim-dark take on the action RPG genre, as typified by Diablo. But instead of a dungeon, you’re exploring the bowels of a gigantic, abandoned space-hulk, whose gleaming bulkheads and rusted partitions gradually give way to gore-soaked corridors and the fleshy architecture of the corruption of Chaos. And instead of a stalwart adventurer, you play a stalwart Inquisitor of the Imperium – a loyal servant of the Emperor with enough clout and confidence to talk to back even to Space Marines.

[...]

If you hate the constant fight, loot, gear-up, repeat process of Diablo, this might appeal, but when all you’ve got each level is just click-killing everything in sight, the game gets a little dull, and the terri-bad voice-acting doesn’t do Martyr any favours either.

Which is, all up, a real shame, as there is the structure of a good game here. But the end product just doesn’t add up to something worth sticking with.

Verdict

A gorgeous game in looks, but repetitive and miserly in its gameplay. And that voice acting - UGH!

Score: 6/10
More information.

Yes!!!! keep the negative reviews coming.:rotfl:

Yes I know salty but I have had nothing but bad experiences with this developer. As I'm still waiting for game breaking bug fixes on some of their older games five years later.

I hate to disappoint you, but it's garnered a 7.8 user score so far on Metacritic, and more positive than negative reviews on Steam. :)

The product is poor and the review poorer.

Lists the product as a diablo like then lists repetition as a drawback.

Diablos and their clones are repetitive. Once again, another in denial that gameplay is about repetition.

I always say to myself "Don't buy any more ARPGs" but since I'm a sucker for (almost) anything WH40K I bought Inquisitor anyway.

According to Steam I played for almost 40 h and have to say they managed to capture the atmosphere quite well and I liked the somewhat slower pace of the action compared to other ARPGs. Although, ultimately this grows boring fast since you always do the same random missions. Even the bosses could be killed in seconds most of the time (I did not see the Nemesis bosses yet though).
Skills are tied to your equipment so it is easy to do some experimentation. But as I said there is just no story/campaign/goal to the whole thing apart from the short story line in the beginning.

The first global event was nothing but pure grind and redoing the same missions over and over again… for a friggin emote.

I have taken a break from it now and might get back if they introduce some real meat to the game. At the moment I would only recommend it hardcore WH40K fans and those who love grind in ARPGs.
I myself am rather looking forward to Gladius and Mechanicus later this year.

Anytime I see the word 'action' in front of rpg I become a little suspicious. ARPGs seem to be largely generic affairs.

Game is at the "still needs around a year of improvements and polish" stage. Also, it's obviously designed by people who don't fully understand the appeal of progression and how it's handled properly.

Not unlike D3 at release, except that was massively more polished.

But it has a lot of neat little features going for it - and I bought it well knowing it's far from finished.

I'm sceptical they can keep afloat during this time with a big enough team - so I'm sort of expecting it to die out much sooner than it should. Few developers can keep a game alive during the time from "fundamental design issues" to the "much, much better" stage.

Blizzard definitely can, though.

But I can't help but support games like this, where the developers are aiming higher than they can reach.

Their heart is in the right place, and what talent they lack could potentially be made up for by thinking a little and emulating other games that do things in smarter ways.

Back
Top Bottom