Wave of Darkness - Streaming & Load Times

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Venturebeat has a new article about how Aurofinity & Dreamatrix's new Hack & Slash game Wave of Darkness uses Streaming to stop load times in different zones.

Typically when I see a Kickstarter in my inbox, I ask the following questions: How is the game’s technology innovative? How is the business model different? The answer surprised me — streaming, and not of the online variety.

“The world is divided into sectors. As player/camera moves around, sectors are streamed in and out of memory,” said Igor Gajic of Dreamatrix Games Studios over e-mail. He then went into a long technical explanation, but he then realized he’s talking to a RPG geek, not a coder, and summed it up.

“To be a bit less ‘techy,’ the game engine is made in a way that player can explore everything and however he wants,” Gajic said. “If a player is tired of killing monsters and solving quests on the east, he can go north and explore it, slay northern monsters, and generally do whatever he desires. A sandbox experience.”

Waves of Darkness also offers multiclass-style character system, so you can ditch one style for another as you play.

“So basically you have a complete freedom, even with character creation. For example, you decided to start the game by creating a sword-wielding character, but after a while you realize swords aren’t really your thing. [Waves of Darkness] enables you to combine, explore and experiment with character classes however you want, without limitations,” he said. “This means that without the need to start the game all over again you can have a powerful melee/ranged or ranged/magic character even if you made a mistake by choosing a character class that doesn’t fit your RPG affinities.”
More information.

I like these people. They do have quite a vision. They don't give up, they listen to their customers, and they keep trying to make LoD better.

I've backed WoD and I'm hopeful it makes it.

I backed but I'm indifferent to whether the game makes it or not. Until they show how WoD is not LoD with a couple of minor tweaks, it will just be another ho hum game.

Thanks for the article Couch. They somehow messed up the text in the article though. The guy (great dude, btw) who wrote it says they have technical issues. More articles are affected, too.

Sounds interesting to me as most RPGs suffer from load times. The kickstarter has made $11,077 of the $20,000 goal, and has eighteen days left to get funded.

Okay, in the two days since this post it made a total of $208. Either they have to really impress us with how WoD isn't a tweaked LoD or that girl will need to do a NSFW update to get more Kuna ;)

Anyone remember the initial engine efficiency and streaming in Gothic 3? Sometimes a few load screens are better!

Anyone remember the initial engine efficiency and streaming in Gothic 3? Sometimes a few load screens are better!

It's a risky proposition. On some PCs, heavy disk access causes hitching and stuttering across the system, even if you coded your game streaming perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom