The Outer Worlds - Gameplay Demo Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on a gameplay demo video for The Outer Worlds shown at PAX East.

At PAX East 2019, Obsidian showcased a brand new demo from its upcoming RPG, The Outer Worlds. In this 20-minute gameplay playthrough, Obsidian shows a small quest where the player is accompanied by 2 characters: Nyoka and Felix. This video also shows the game's multiple choice dialog system, some of the weapons available, the looting and character customization system, as well as the general freedom that players will have in the game.

[...]

More information.

It's looking good. I really like the art style. It's like Bioshock in space.

The combat doesn't seem very inspired, but I'm more interested in the writing and quest design anyways.

Yeah, there's been nothing quite like it, well, since Bioshock. Can't wait for this one.

Why did they go on a murder spree? I mean, I get it they wanted to show various weapon types, but still...those poor civilians.

I like the art style too.

Yeah, I like the world design. The combat does look like the accident-in-a-fireworks-factory variety. "Come on now, people - have we used ALL the effects?"

Hard to say anything definitive without being hands on but it looks like that combat is in desperate need of more tactical elements or just...something. It’s not as dire as in some RPGs because, as an Obsidian game, I expect there to be other things to enjoy like actual dialogue options, but combat is still likely to make up a large chunk of gameplay.

Hmm kinda let down, for a presentation of the title i would expect a more well design quest line instead of this killing madness.
-Graphics and animations too similar too bethesda engine games.
-Combat needs tweaking,too actionish for my taste and with all those numbers flying too bordelands as well.
-Town felt kinda empty,too few dialog lines/options

Lets hope it was a bad choice of world showing.

I like how they took the diplomatic approach in that demo...

The full Obsidian presentation from Pax East 2019.

On my shopping list for sure so far. Enjoyed the video.

I'm really starting to get hyped about this, I understand it might not be everyones cup of tea but those dialogues with the sometimes cringe worthy humor are brilliant. There are too few games that actually make you smile while playing them.

Last edited:
I was saying on the Codex that if the game achieves a level of humor similar to something like Anachronox, we'll be in for a pleasant surprise. So far it looks better and more in depth than I even expected (lots of throwbacks to Arcanum and the like).

I enjoy a good laugh, but I'm really hoping that isn't all this game has to offer. Is there going to be a serious tone underlying the play? Will we get to slay the boss marketer in the end?

I'll totally be rolling a scientist with high dialogue skills. I hope they let me play him non-bad-ass.

I'm going to bave to stop watching these videos, if I'm going to continue to stay away from Epic's store.

I didn't see anything especially exciting in that video. But I did notice that during combat screen explodes in colors and shapes and not in a good way.
I got annoyed by that shit in 5 minutes watching it, I can only imagine how irritating it would be playing that for hours. I think I would fast get an urge to install Counter Strike and play a FPS that does not fill my screen with shit.

Is the release date still set for sometime in August?

Hope so as I can't wait to play this game.

I sometimes wonder if the design and tone of many games is influenced by the significance of streaming culture - to make sure that it's all flashy, splashy, and wacky.

Back
Top Bottom