Beamdog - Working on New Baldur's Gate Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Beamdog has a new blog post with information their working on a new game set between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2. No news on a third game yet.
Adventure Y

This year, the eagerly anticipated Adventure Y will finally navigate the dark underground caverns of development and venture out into the Sword Coast. We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition. Keep an eye on the Beamblog in late spring for announcements regarding the content and release date of Adventure Y. We have an exciting release planned for this game, something bigger than we’ve ever done before. If you’re looking for more information on Adventure Y, check out these pictures which were mysteriously leaked to the forums.

Adventure… Z?

By late summer we should be ready to talk about our next project after Adventure Y. “Adventure Z” sounds boring, so let’s call it Project: Beartrap. Right now all we can say about Project: Beartrap is that it exists and it’s a departure for us in terms of what we’ve done in the past. Also, the project might involve sharks. Maybe we should call it Project: Sharktrap? Either way, we’re looking forward to giving you more details mid-year.

Fifth Edition

We got a lot of questions about Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and a potential Baldur’s Gate III on our reddit AMA. We’d be lying if we said we never think about doing a Baldur’s Gate III game, so we won’t say that. But we will say there’s nothing in the works yet regarding BGIII or a 5th edition game. That doesn’t mean the opportunity will never arise, though, so we’re preparing by starting a tabletop 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons game here in the office. Amber, aka the BeamBard, is our first sacrificial DM in running an office campaign. Expect future Beamblog posts on how she ruthlessly murderized all our lovingly created characters.
More information.

Screenshots look promising... I am curious to hear more about this in-between adventure.

I was most excited about 5th edition new D&D game. I am sad so far there is no news of anyone making one. I hope it does not turn out like 4e that only have one crappy MMO made.
And I was so desperate I even played it half way through :D

Last edited:
Well I'm quite excited to see what they make, and I hope they continue to update the infinity engine more. If this game is successful we might see more in the future.:w00t:

A few years ago, I'd dance happily on these news.

Sadly… Thanks to Apple, technology went backwards, especially batteries.
But who knows? Maybe they dare to use Drakensang engine for this one. It's better to be optimistic, right?

A few years ago, I'd dance happily on these news.

Sadly… Thanks to Apple, technology went backwards, especially batteries.
But who knows? Maybe they dare to use Drakensang engine for this one. It's better to be optimistic, right?
Of course Joxer has to ruin my good mood once again.:cool:

Anyway I think you fail to realize a new game engine cost money, and wastes development time. I always hated how the infinity engine was cancelled.

It had so much promise back in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

I am playing Baldur's Gate 1 EE now and would like something in-between 1 and 2

Will definetly buy and play a BG 1.5!

Can't say I like the new content Beamdog added to their EE editions as much as the original, but they did a real nice job overall. They've earned the benefit of my doubt. I'll buy BG 1.5.

If they insert a game between BG1 and BG2, I wonder how will they handle the jump in experience when the character actually starts BG2? Or perhaps this is an independent adventure that doesn't follow the main character and his/her companions.

Anyway, this sounds like a worthwhile intermediate step toward producing new games in the IE line.

If they insert a game between BG1 and BG2, I wonder how will they handle the jump in experience when the character actually starts BG2? Or perhaps this is an independent adventure that doesn't follow the main character and his/her companions.
My guess is the game will feature a whole different character, and pary members. It might even be another one of the Bhaalspawn children? We'll find out this summer.
Anyway, this sounds like a worthwhile intermediate step toward producing new games in the IE line.
I agree rjshae and I have my fingers crossed that this does happen. As no one else is making any more single-player RPG games in this setting.

Just two new F2P MMO games in the last five years.:disappointed:

A new BG game? Yes, please :D. It really seems like we are in a new golden age of RPGs!

What engine are they using; are they adding new content to the bg1 ee engine ?
It's quite obvious the new game is made with the enhanced infinity engine as it's not hard to create more content for new games.

Here is one of the new screenshots from the new game.

EA9pcgj.jpg

We have no information on the second game yet called Adventure Z, but it will more than likely be using the same engine as this new Baldur's Gate game.

Hmm can't say I'm terribly happy about the news. I'm very sensitive on BG series topic. I really hope Beamdog do their job well on adventure Y for the sake of my beloved BG series but I remain skeptical. Still against BG3, I stand by my previous statement. Leave Bhaalspawn alone, his/her story ended with ToB so just make new game in same setting but call it something other than BG :p

Well I waited over fifteen years for someone to make more infinity engine games. So while I agree with you about the Bhaalspwan there are still many other stories to tell.

Frankly I'm tired of re-playing BG,BG:2,IWD,IWD:2, and Planescape: Torment.:cool:

Last edited:
My guess is the game will feature a whole different character, and pary members. It might even be another one of the Bhaalspawn children? We'll find out this summer.

That could be pretty cool. It would never happen, but imagine if they did a whole new story of another bhaalspawn that entwined with the original story and ultimately ended in confrontation (or even collaboration) with the original character (obviously they need to standardize some type of canon for him/her, maybe from the novels).

Essentially get to experience the same journey but from a different starting point with different content in between. Ohhh, one can dream, right?

Back
Top Bottom