Ultima VII, 30 Years Ago

skinnychicken

Watcher
FYI, today (April16th) marks the 30th anniversary of the release of Ultima VII!

One of my all time favourite games; definitely top 5!!

I've always struggled with with game I loved more, V or VII? I replayed VII a few years ago and it's still great for sure (combat still wonky, but I'm ok with that). Man I wish I could recapture the feeling of playing that game the first time!

I've always struggled with with game I loved more, V or VII? I replayed VII a few years ago and it's still great for sure (combat still wonky, but I'm ok with that). Man I wish I could recapture the feeling of playing that game the first time!

It's probably my favorite game of all time. I'm right there with you wishing I could recapture that feeling.

I love both VII and VII part 2. While I love the world design of VII the story of VII part 2 really resonates with me.

Ultima VII has never been beaten to this day.

Wow, 30 years ago, thought it was longer!!

Loved this game and think it was probably the first open world game I played. Have had a couple of replays since, and still like VIII and IX for my sins.

It's number 2 on my personal subjective best games I've played list (after Planescape:Torment) and before Morrowind.

pibbuR who hasn't replayed either of them.

I always wanted to play this game but were never able to make it run and now many years later with exult I find myself setting it up and never really getting around to playing it

Perhaps I am afraid that it won´t be as good as I have always heard and imagined

Hard to believe that, both from a technical, open world, and in some aspects also story perspective, this games is still not surpassed, by anything I have played.

Maybe that is why Garriot went nuts? he just realised, that he'll never be able to top this ? :D

That's as good as any reason I've ever heard for why Garriott flipped his lid. You might be on to something there, as the bar was raised to near infinity.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate is at the very top of my favorite RPGs of all time. It was the peak of the series. I liked Serpent Isle well enough, but it wasn't nearly as good. And of course the series fell apart after that.

One of my favorite things to do was read the book that was released around the same time as The Black Gate, detailing the history of the series and the development of the game. As great as the game itself was, the book made it sound even greater, like a living world in which nearly anything was possible.

That's as good as any reason I've ever heard for why Garriott flipped his lid. You might be on to something there, as the bar was raised to near infinity.

I live in Austin now. I lived in Austin from 93-97. He was nuts back then too, it just wasn't as out in the open.

Well he has a new title now.:biggrin:

Lord British is now Lord Blockchain - PCGamer
Garriott and industry veteran Todd Porter (a designer on Ultima 6) are now working on a new game that's about to break cover, with the working title Effigy. Brace yourself: it uses the blockchain. Though as Lord British explained in our interview, it's not the same pitch we've seen with most blockchain-based games so far.

I live in Austin now. I lived in Austin from 93-97. He was nuts back then too, it just wasn't as out in the open.
I used to live near his old house (Britannia Manor) for many years. Saw his car around town - a black Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 with the Texas license plate "ULTIMA". Pretty neat back in those days.

Ultima VII is still my favorite game of all time, although that's mainly based on how I felt at the time while playing it. Not sure how well it would hold up against the best games of recent years.

Back
Top Bottom