Van Helsing: Final Cut - Review @ Gaming Nexus

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gaming Nexus likes The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut:

Budapest-based developer NeocoreGames has outdone itself. The amount of content in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut is staggering, to say the least. Final Cut combines the entire Van Helsing trilogy, plus all of the downloadable content, into one giant package. The Final Cut also revises the entire experience to make the content more compelling. The three campaigns now flow flawlessly into one another. Fans of action role-playing games such as Diablo will be right at home with Van Helsing. It contains the genre's primary elements, with endless monsters to slay, loot to collect, and quests to complete. If the campaign isn't enough for players, the developers added an endgame that provides an endless amount of quests and daily challenges. When all put together, Final Cut ensures a near-continuous supply of content.

[...]

Score: 9/10
More information.

FYI, if you own all 3 Van Helsing games on Steam, you can get the Final Cut for free. I am not sure if you can do that with the GOG version. They had offered this when the Final Cut came out, but it is still active. I just picked up the third on the recent Steam sale and already had the first two in the series. I went to neocoregames and was still able to redeem the upgrade.

http://neocoregames.com/redeem/

I bought this on the sale...I need to spend more time with it...what I played I liked....some good humour.

The game's not bad, but really how many patches does a game need? It's getting ridiculous how re-released Director Cut/Ultimate versions still need patches to play.:disappointed:

Last edited:
FYI, if you own all 3 Van Helsing games on Steam, you can get the Final Cut for free. I am not sure if you can do that with the GOG version. They had offered this when the Final Cut came out, but it is still active. I just picked up the third on the recent Steam sale and already had the first two in the series. I went to neocoregames and was still able to redeem the upgrade.

http://neocoregames.com/redeem/

If you can prove you own it on GoG its free too. Email direct if there is an issue.

I brought in the new year playing this with 2 buddies and my wife on a local lan and we had a lot of fun though we did not finish it and will need to continue the next time we get together.
Well done game and they know how to treat their customers with the final cut as a free update when you have the 3 parts. I agree with the rating in the article.

The game's not bad, but really how many patches does a game need? It's getting ridiculous how re-released Director Cut/Ultimate versions still need patches to play.:disappointed:

They didn't patch it really couch, they took all three games and combined it into one with new features....I think this is a pretty cool move personally, better then just repatches like wasteland and Divinity...

They're a small budget studio. They have a ton of heart and passion, but they aren't the best technically. So the game needs a lot of patches. Huge respect to them for continuing to patch and fix stuff. Gotta cut 'em some slack since there game is budget priced, and they are trying their best.

They're a small budget studio. They have a ton of heart and passion, but they aren't the best technically. So the game needs a lot of patches. Huge respect to them for continuing to patch and fix stuff. Gotta cut 'em some slack since there game is budget priced, and they are trying their best.

If you are referring to Van Helsing..

I think its a great game. Especially considering what they had available for budget. It sadly was overshadowed by Diablo and PoE (not Pillars PoE, the other one). They've done really well and their communication has been amazing with customers.

I think its a great game. Especially considering what they had available for budget.

I agree. They had good ratio quality/budget/price from the start when they worked on strategy games or strategy/RPG hybrids like King Arthur (especially the first one).

I liked the setting and humour of Van Helsing. But I must say that Im little fed up with first two games. At the end it started to feel dreary. And I will never undestand that mania about tons of crappy items in hack & slash and tons of upgrades. Why should you bother with all the upgrades when there is so many new and better stuff? Its ridiculous. Sooner or later it will feel like poking through trash.

BTW can someone compare gameplay of Grim Dawn to Van Helsing?

Last edited:

Or Van Helsing to Victor Vran? :)

I'm playing the latter now, and it's pretty good. I don't normally get into this sub-genre, but I really like the setting and atmosphere of VV. It's got me thinking of playing Van Helsing in the future because the setting and characters seem very similar.

I agree. They had good ration quality/budget/price from the start when they worked on strategy games or strategy/RPG hybrids like King Arthur (especially the first one).

I liked the setting and humour of Van Helsing. But I must say that Im little fed up with first two games. At the end it started to feel dreary. And I will never undestand that mania about tons of crappy items in hack & slash and tons of upgrades. Why should you bother with all the upgrades when there is so many new and better stuff? Its ridiculous. Sooner or later you it will feel like poking through trash.

Van Helsing's gameplay is the weakest part. There's not a whole lot of depth to skills/perks and items, or enemies, so of course that carries over to how it plays. I'd say combat itself is kind of PoE-grade clunkiness, way below D3, not quite up there with Grim Dawn. The draws though are more the story, the humor and main characters' voice acting, the surprisingly good tower defense game (if you like that sort of thing--it's optional anyway), and the general ambiance.

This made me buy the game...I never bought any of the 3 as stand alone games, getting them all in one package was good.

I have victor vran and I didn't like it as much as Van Helsing. Limited time with both though so...

They didn't patch it really couch, they took all three games and combined it into one with new features….I think this is a pretty cool move personally, better then just repatches like wasteland and Divinity…
Never said that Rune. I'm talking about this version needing two patches just to be playable on it's release. I'm also counting the other 50+ patches for the originals.

What was even more amusing was the bug was due to a very well known WIN 10 codec bug. Frankly what the hell did the beta testers play to miss this common bug?

So to summarize while NeoCore makes interesting games, they suck on the technical side. Actually this is a common problem with every game they made.

Just read the official forums about gamer's who still can't finish King Arthur II.:roll:

Or Van Helsing to Victor Vran? :)

I'm playing the latter now, and it's pretty good. I don't normally get into this sub-genre, but I really like the setting and atmosphere of VV. It's got me thinking of playing Van Helsing in the future because the setting and characters seem very similar.

I'm not really into the whole Diabloeque grinding machine either. I'll roll thru at high difficulty and then likely not play them again.
I like the stories of VH and GD and VV. I like the skill building, The loot while progressing is always fun. Not really a fan of grinding out the game repeatedly for better loot after finishing it tho.

VV GD and VH all have similar but slightly different atmospheres. I'm sure someone could study them and do a big comparison and post it. But to me they are very similar but very enjoyable. I wouldn't be able to play all 3 in a row as they are too similar.

They had the same problem with King Arthur a role playing game. The game (imho) was fantastic but it had a fair amount of technical issue.

I installed Van Helsing 1 last night and played for a short while. I think I already like it more than Victor Vran.

It looks and feels more polished, and I really like that you have some control over how far the view is zoomed in/out. Victor Vran could have really used a zoom function. I also like that you start with a companion in VH.

I installed Van Helsing 1 last night and played for a short while. I think I already like it more than Victor Vran.

It looks and feels more polished, and I really like that you have some control over how far the view is zoomed in/out. Victor Vran could have really used a zoom function. I also like that you start with a companion in VH.

You really should look at getting the final cut as there is no reason to play each 1 individually. As the final cut has all the abilities added in the later releases and flows throughout the whole story.

You really should look at getting the final cut as there is no reason to play each 1 individually. As the final cut has all the abilities added in the later releases and flows throughout the whole story.

I plan on doing that before I attempt a full playthrough. I already own the first two games on Steam, so I'm just waiting for VH 3 to go on sale again. I only installed VH 1 because I wanted to see how it compared to Victor Vran.

Back
Top Bottom