What games are you playing now?

@Gig

why don't you simply download demo and see for yourself do you like it or not? of course, if you don't have dial-up...

The demo for SpaceForce Rogue Universe didn't pull me in, so I'm back to trying to figure out X3: Reunion. I might actually be succeding this time! What a complex game. I can't believe they didn't ship it with a game manual. I am an ace pilot, but I couldn't make heads or tails outta the HUD interface until I finally downloaded the online guide.

I've literally spent a week just reading the manual and X Universe Forums a bit each night, trying to figure out how to play the game. The dynamic economy scares me, because with the very limited time that I have to play games, I can't afford to get 100 hrs into one and then realize I screwed everything up.

Anyway, I finally started the game last night, and, armed with my new knowledge, went "Wow! This game is actually cool!"

I'm so happy that I've finally (hopefully) found a space combat sim that's enjoyable. Haven't had one of those since Freelancer...

P.S. After feeling overwhelmed by X3, now maybe I know how newcomers to the Gothic series first felt. They don't exactly hand-hold the player, just dump you out into the game world as if to say "Sink or swim!"

Demo? :excited: Hmmm... how did I miss that?

you can download it from gamespot... it's not too big... just 1,5gb.

Of course, if you have Steam installed, you can get the demo there as well.

@Jabberwocky- You might start a thread in the non-RPG forum for your X3 experiences. I've got the game sitting on my shelf. My poor rig is right at the minimum specs, so I didn't even bother to open it up. I had some chugging with X2 after I got enough factories and auto-traders, so I figure X3 is a lost cause until I get a new toy. Still interested in how the game goes for you, though.

You got it dte. But to warn you, I don't get to game very much. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights are about it, so progress will be very slow.
I remember you were a big X2 fan. I just couldn't handle that game. Talk about lack of accessibility!! They really have polished things up with X3, enough for me to give it a shot. I appreciate the fan base as well, and it seems the developers really support fan-made content.

Gotcha. -- I've gone full circle now and arrived back at System Shock 2. :rotfl:

I have very fond memories of playing SS2, one of the top 10 games I've ever played in any genre. In fact, my goal is to play both SS1 and SS2 next month and finish them right before Bioshock comes out.

Now if only I could remember how to get SS1 working on WindowsXP.....

SS1 will work in Dosbox quite well. I replayed it just over a year ago with no problems!!

SS1 will work in Dosbox quite well. I replayed it just over a year ago with no problems!!

I always get confused by Dosbox for some reason, having to download separate programs for sound and mouse compatibility is a pain in the arse. About a year ago I found an XP patched version of SS1 on the net(I own a copy of the cd rom classics version) and it worked really well.

yeah I haven't the patience for DOSBox either. There is a patch for SS1 to make it work in Windows I found after the recent discussion baout it. Too bad its so ugly - it seems really detailed. Its got that ol' skool cyberspace look.

I may try Sam and Max 4

Cant believe you guys arent using DOSBox... DOSBox feels like the second OS on my computer. :D Not only is it nice to be able to run all the games with zero hassle (once you get it running), but when you have a decent computer you can also take advantage of the improved enhancements such as smoother graphics and enhanced MIDI.

With absolutely no exceptions that come to mind, DOS era games hold ziltch appeal to me. Graphics immersive enough, to me, to generate interest didn't come along until well into the Win98 days and I didn't even start gaming until around 2001/2002.

BTW -- To me, the Dark Messiah demo revs! I'm going to go pick it up -- the game it most reminds me of, gameplay wise, is Severence: Blade of Darkness. ;)

Last edited:
I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
Cant believe you guys arent using DOSBox... DOSBox feels like the second OS on my computer. :D Not only is it nice to be able to run all the games with zero hassle (once you get it running), but when you have a decent computer you can also take advantage of the improved enhancements such as smoother graphics and enhanced MIDI.

I love DOSBox as well... I use it all the time to play all my old DOS RPGs.

I'm with Gig, I can't believe you guys actually enjoy RPG's that old! I started gaming around '98, but now I go back and look at those games and there's no way I could stand to replay them.

I'm with Gig, I can't believe you guys actually enjoy RPG's that old! I started gaming around '98, but now I go back and look at those games and there's no way I could stand to replay them.

i agree about rpgs, but not about adventures... old adventure games (la, sierra...) look great... that cartoon graphics... they're a lot better and prettier than modern adventures... adventures are evergreen! and dosbox is program from heaven...

In general, Adventure isn't my genre. I like Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon with the 3D engine. The earlier 2D drawn "cartoon" broken swords don't attract me. However, I think it's wonderful that there's an app like this that allows these older games to be kept alive. Will DOSBox run under Vista?

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
Back
Top Bottom