Legerdemain - Roguelike meets 80's RPG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Cameron writes in about Legerdemain, an RPG with a roguelike presentation. Apparently Legerdemain has a persistent world and a detailed story. Here's an excerpt from the Overview page:
Legerdemain takes place in a strange and cracked fantasy world called Phenomedom. You assume the role of an imprisoned magician seeking to learn the nature of your captivity. Along the way you’ll uncover vast conspiracies, morbid secrets, and the secrets of ancient puzzles. You’ll likely slay a few thousand monsters along the way too.
Legerdemain draws heavily upon interactive fiction and Roguelike games to provide an experience focusing on story and depth of play. From interactive fiction we inherit elements of scene description, exploration of new environments, and conversation with the game’s inhabitants. From Roguelike games we derive a top-down two-dimensional perspective and numerous strategic elements. Legerdemain’s glyph-based UI is also reminiscent of Roguelike games, but here we forego ASCII for the myriad and more modern conventions of Unicode.
So come on in and give Legerdemain a try! We have a persistent, hand-crafted world, a detailed but intuitive approach for character development, a novel spellcasting system called Manipulation, and over two hundred hours of gameplay. There’s merchandise for sale too! See the tab marked Get Stuff! for more details.
More information.

This is intriguing. I played it for a few minutes and liked what I played. I'll revisit it some more when I have some more time.

Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone play this yet? It looks like an interesting mix of story telling and rogue gaming.

Those clue books are unique as well. Don't find too many clue books written in a narrative style anymore.

Edit: Here is a preview of their upcoming tileset. Looks pretty good. Should pull in a few people who prefer at least some graphics in their games.

Last edited:
I actually met them today at the "Spiel International" / "Internationale Spieletage", a huge German-based board games, pen & paper role-playing and comics fair.

We had a nice, small chat, and I was so stupid that only when I was in the train home I got the idea to make a photo of their booth.

One of both said they had actually received quite some attention because of this article here (yes, they actually know RPGWatch, I was about to recommend it to them only to find out it was them who'd been this article about ! :lol: ).

Current news there : http://roguelikefiction.com/

I've been doing email tag with Nathan. Really nice guy. I was going to post any news about Legerdemain, but it seems that he is already working on another project.

Did you get the cluebook and CD? If you did then you have the tilesets now. Just use the game that came on the CD instead of the free download from their site. It makes a huge difference when playing the game. I haven't got my cluebook in the mail yet, but from everything, I read it's a great read.

It really is one great rogue and his style of writing is absolutely fantastic. I wish the big devs would hire more people like him to do their writing. It would make a huge difference with the quality of games being released.

I just got out of the prison a few days ago. It took me a few tries to get out of there. One little hint about getting out of that prison. RUN!!!!! Don't dilly dally around exploring, just get the heck out of there. Once you make it to a town and "save" in a room at an inn then every time you die you'll reload at the inn.

He's working on another project now and if sends me anything I'll post it in the news.

Tilesets preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCTBNcG3Mw

I had already spent too much money on that fair so I couldn't buy their game & book.
A different time, then. ;)

You can still play the regular version. Same game just without the tiles.

OKay, I see.

Back
Top Bottom