SW:TOR - The Next Expansion

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Polygon discusses Legacy of the Sith, the next expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The next Star Wars: The Old Republic expansion builds on a decade of tough choices

The next expansion is a doozy

Sometimes, a role-playing game hits the player with a choice that is legitimately tough. It can be a moral quandary, or a question of what to sacrifice. Star Wars: The Old Republic is an MMO with a strong focus on narrative content, and so the game has many tough choices designed to make the protagonist sweat. While the galaxy's politics can change over time, and new enemies appear or are vanquished, the core of the game remains making those tough choices.

The Old Republic developer BioWare Austin has been faithfully updating the game since it was first released in 2011. The next expansion, Legacy of the Sith, introduces new endgame content in which players chase down a rogue Sith Lord to the watery planet of Manaan. The expansion also includes lots of important changes in the early game. For example, new character creator options allow players to mix and match between their abilities, weapons, and stories they experience, instead of funneling down one of eight roads with stricter guardrails.

"We're continuing a storyline that kicked off with our last expansion, and even before that with a plot," said Charles Boyd, creative director on Star Wars: The Old Republic, in a call with Polygon. "There's a lot going on with [Darth] Malgus, and he's going rogue a bit. There's also a storyline where there's a civil war brewing among the Mandalorians."

[...]

Legacy of the Sith is currently set to be released before the end of 2021. It will also kick off The Old Republic's 10th anniversary event, which runs throughout 2022.
More information.

Color me impressed that they're still managing to keep this game alive. Most other mmos have come and gone. It's this one, Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars that are still impressive. I guess it kind of proves that you can keep an mmo online, if you adjust your expectations from it? I'm sure most publishers get into these hoping to make a boatload of money, so when that fails they just shut it down. It's not enough to make some money. They need to make all of the money. As usual.

There's a LOT of changes coming. It's so much that I don't even have an idea how it will play in 7.0 …

One of the most wated features seems to be finally implemented as well now : An "weapons outfitter". Changes the looks of the chosen weapons. I have no idea how far that goes.

A few things that came YEARS TOO LATE are, that now F2P players can FINALLY send in bugs, too !
Until the last update ( I think ), support was entirely restricted to subscribers, meaning that there were cases of subscribers filling out bug reports for their F2P friends. There seemingly even were cases of F2P-only bugs which no-one could see because only subscribers could fill out bug reports.
Reviving is now also possible much more often, and the amount of credits in the F2P bank has become higher.
That, however, to the background that there has an insane amount of money inflation going on. Those who are looking out for big Whales demand prices of several hundred of millions of in-game money in the "Auction House" (there are no real actions, only put in items and sell them, no bidding).

I used to be a subscriber now but mostly play F2P as you get to keep all the content at the time of your membership. Maybe I'll re-sub for one month to get this content.

As I mostly play for the class stories and never touched the Co-op or group content.

I played several years, but then I went back to DDO, because of several reasons. Especially that factions thing began to bore me.
Plus, that there's a certain mindset in the SWTOR community that one has to use 1 certain set of BIS items and 1 certain kind oof rotation, or else have the risk of being kicked from groups, or so I perceived it.

I felt as if DDO was giving me the freedom that I never got with SWTOR - but I must admit that SWTOR has simply better stories. Meanwhile DDO has hardly any real stories at all.

But on the other hand, there is exactly 1 chest at the end of each quest in DDO, whereas SWTOR was plagued by a lot of RNG.
Only recently they killed a certain looting feature in SWTOR called the "loot master", which was meant so that a group leader could give items so to group member who needed them - but that was often enough abused. So they killed that feature, and seemingly want to eliminate loot RNG in 7.0 completely.

Pity that MMO gameplay is so focused around loot and grind. I played this game a bit some years ago. Found the story enjoyable but the gameplay not so much. I just hate the way MMOs work. The guests are dead boring. There are some respawning walking/flying lumps around you have to kill. Not to mention the exclamation mark quest givers. WTF?

I just wish someone made an MMO that was more - I don't know - better. More of a simulation, less of a gamey game designed to hook people with a collecting instinct. The idea of playing with other people isn't bad. The WoW format everyone seems to copy is bad (for me). Of course, WoW is a commercial success and that's what counts.

Perhaps I fall out of the target audience because I completely lack the interest of collecting anything. In real life and in games. I could not care less about loot or item stats. I find that I enjoy games with little loot more than those going out the MMO style (CP2077 looking at you). In the original BG, a long sword +2 was really good, a sword +3 among the best in the game. The game made you work to get those items. In MMOs, you need to read and compare stats of hundreds of items, from level 1 until you get bored of the concept and quit. Not for me.

Last edited:
Pity that MMO gameplay is so focused around loot and grind. I played this game a bit some years ago. Found the story enjoyable but the gameplay not so much. I just hate the way MMOs work. The guests are dead boring. There are some respawning walking/flying lumps around you have to kill. Not to mention the exclamation mark quest givers. WTF?

I just wish someone made an MMO that was more - I don't know - better. More of a simulation, less of a gamey game designed to hook people with a collecting instinct. The idea of playing with other people isn't bad. The WoW format everyone seems to copy is bad (for me). Of course, WoW is a commercial success and that's what counts.

Perhaps I fall out of the target audience because I completely lack the interest of collecting anything. In real life and in games. I could not care less about loot or item stats. I find that I enjoy games with little loot more than those going out the MMO style (CP2077 looking at you). In the original BG, a long sword +2 was really good, a sword +3 among the best in the game. The game made you work to get those items. In MMOs, you need to read and compare stats of hundreds of items, from level 1 until you get bored of the concept and quit. Not for me.
I'm sure we are quite a few here with the same feeling, but I suspect we're only a minority in the RPG population.

This would be an indie MMO.

Actually, I was involved in such a project a while ago, called Planeshift. The development was slow, and for a long period there was only looting crystals on the ground, as a test for the network code. But people were encouraged to roleplay and imagine their own games; there was a basic support for guilds so that was the rage at this stage, hiring people and building websites with all sort of lore and plots.

The community was all and I'm not sure how it came to be, or if that could be reproduced today. Commercial MMOs took their toll on the project, people wanted more after a while, except a few hardcore players. Most of the community washed out after a while, but the project is still alive, now they have a Discord and they have more things to do (combat, quests, crafting, more exploration, character progression). There were (and still are) events but they felt more 'family' than the big events of WoW, EQ and the like.

It shows that it's not impossible to create something that doesn't follow the WoW template, but it's not easy to keep the players.

Back
Top Bottom