Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues Released, Blog Post

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues has been released (in some territories, anyway) and Chris Avellone has kicked up a blog post about the story development for this DLC:
Old World Blues is built around the history of Fallout games we’ve worked on. It’s history-that’s-created-history, with a dash of what might have been from past games, media, and design documents from Fallout 1, 2, and past Fallout projects given new life. From Lobotomites, DNA splicing, Cazadores, Night Stalkers, where-the-hell-did-those-plants-in-the-Mojave-come-from, the scientific enclave of Big MT itself, Proton weapons, and giant robotic scorpions, all of these things formed the nucleus of taking a trip into the past-is-present Fallout universe to see a slice of the Old World that’s been fenced in and feeding on itself for far too long. We wanted you to see the context and homages to the Fallout universe in a scientific preserve, both from the distant Fallout past to more recent adventures in New Vegas and the DLCs. As you’ll discover, Big MT (or the Big “Empty”) is filled with what-might-have-been… and all that was lost that potentially could have made a better world for all. There’s an undercurrent of the blues all around Big MT… but if you’re strong enough, you can change it, and the whole meaning of Old World Blues forever.
Designing Old World Blues was an adventure in itself. It involved taking a trip down memory lane, both in terms of past games and also in terms of 1950s sci-fi cinema to get the exaggerated “Science!” feel, where a great many inventions were atomic and anything nuclear promised amazing things for the future. Usually with an exclamation mark. Over the course of Old World Blues, we watched and paid respect to some of the 50s science fiction films from Brain from the Planet Arous, Things to Come!, Forbidden Planet, When Worlds Collide, the Deadly Mantis, Tarantula, the Mole People (although we pushed some of that out for the next DLC), the Monolith Monsters, and more. There’s also a little Wizard of Oz thrown in for good measure… although it’s in the Fallout context.
More information.

Nice blog post... sounds exciting.

I just reinstalled New Vegas last week and started a new character in order to do Honest Hearts and Old World Blues. Just started Honest Hearts today and it seems pretty good so far.

Nice blog post… sounds exciting.

I just reinstalled New Vegas last week and started a new character in order to do Honest Hearts and Old World Blues. Just started Honest Hearts today and it seems pretty good so far.

Honest hearts is a little thinner on obvious narrative than the first DLC, but the exploration is actually somewhat rewarding. If you enjoyed reading through the holo-logs in fallout 1 and 2 then I strongly recommend you find the various survivalist caches. The story those journals tell is a remarkably good one and pretty much explains why the entire valley is the way it is.

I did enjoy that one overall though, despite the brevity of the narrative for the main quest. I've started old world blues and I'm liking the humor in it so far. The DLC for this game does quite a good job of presenting very different types of gameplay and settings. While Fallout 3's DLC did a decent enough job presenting distinct settings, the core gameplay and feel did not change much between most of them. These do at least feel like you're not only going someplace different but also doing very different things.

Back
Top Bottom