The Wayward Realms - New Trailer & Discussion

Redglyph

proud GASP member
I never heard of this before. This is a game I'm very very eager to see it properly finished. If the devs finish only half of what they're promising, this would still be a great game.

Thank you for publishing this, RedGlyph :thumbsup: Any other news about this game/project, please share with us.

Last edited:
Oh look it's the RPG from a few ex-Bethesda employees that's been rumored to be in development for many years. Can't believe some member's have never heard of the game. As it's been on the news-page ever since I was news-poster on the watch.

Also it had a few different names and was canceled before over the last ten years.:)

Oh look it's the RPG from a few ex-Bethesda employees that's been rumored to be in development for many years. Can't believe some member's have never heard of the game. As it's been on the news-page ever since I was news-poster on the watch.

Also it had a few different names and was canceled before over the last ten years.:)

Yes, it's from those exiles. :)

I wasn't expecting to find an existing page for it, to be honest, and I see there were only two posts about it in the past. The devs often post little messages on Twitter, but nothing elsewhere that I could see, so they're not into regular dev updates.

I've updated the game page created by HiddenX - I think - to add the few links I found. In case someone wants to do some reading, there are 3 stories so far which give away bits of lore on their universe:

Library of Lore, Stories and Wonder

Last edited:
TBH, the trailer doesn't do much to inspire confidence that progress has been made. A camera tracking slowly through a couple of basic areas, and hire a voiceover to make it sound like it's something. It's like an early KS pitch video that tells you almost nothing.

I heard about it. If they bring back spellmaker and itemmaker its a day 1 purchase for me.

"A Massive World. No, really! Way bigger than most other games you can think of. Big cities with hundreds or thousands of NPCs, deep, dark, dangerous forests, gigantic mountain ranges, sprawling swamps and marshlands, vast oceans, and more, brought to life through dynamic, procedural generation."

That's a big nope from me.

"A Massive World. No, really! Way bigger than most other games you can think of. Big cities with hundreds or thousands of NPCs, deep, dark, dangerous forests, gigantic mountain ranges, sprawling swamps and marshlands, vast oceans, and more, brought to life through dynamic, procedural generation."

That's a big nope from me.

Because of the "procedural generation" bit?

EDIT: I'm skeptical too about populating a massive world and making it interesting to the player. They also claim that "A virtual Game Master keeps things interesting for you, making other characters and their factions react and plot their next move based on your actions".

I don't know, maybe there are good ideas, it depends how they put life in that world so it's not repetitive or artificial.

Last edited:
The devs gave an update in the Youtube comments regarding Ian's post about the lack of focus and leadership:
OnceLost Games said:
Thank you for the coverage, it was a good round up of information. To quickly address Ian's article, while the project had hit a rough patch and stalled up a bit in 2020, leading to Ian's departure, by the time that article released, we had already revaluated the situation and had taken steps to address those issues. It has been a over year and half since Ian left, our team has grown greatly since then, our plans are focused, and our game is indeed under development, though still in the early stages.
Ted is a huge fan of community interaction. As such, we have been sharing our world as we create it. We know a lot of people are eager to see gameplay, but our main focus during this leg of development has been on the systems that create and run the game, such as the proc gen for the world and dungeons. Combat is in its infancy at the moment, so any showcase of that would not really represent our actual plans for WR combat. Of course, we will keep sharing things as they develop and welcome anyone who is interested to follow along with us on our grand adventure.

Because of the "procedural generation" bit?

EDIT: I'm skeptical too about populating a massive world and making it interesting to the player. They also claim that "A virtual Game Master keeps things interesting for you, making other characters and their factions react and plot their next move based on your actions".

I don't know, maybe there are good ideas, it depends how they put life in that world so it's not repetitive or artificial.

I will come on here and give every mea culpa if I'm wrong, but there is no way such a game wouldn't be repetitive and artificial. When the goal for a RPG is sheer size, that's what you get.

It's a standard WolfheartFPS video. He's really good at stating the obvious and repeating things that most gamers already know.

I'd really like to know in how far their "Game Master" is or will be different from the regular quest/plot logic from regular games. I just can't think of something that makes sense.

Last edited:
It's a standard WolfheartFPS video. He's really good at stating the obvious and repeating things that most gamers already know.

I think those videos are for those who don't know the game yet, otherwise there's little added value indeed. He's really at his best when he talks about lore or when he's really into a game's mechanics and makes tutorials.

And his reviews/impressions are funny but I wouldn't rely entirely on them.

I think those videos are for those who don't know the game yet, otherwise there's little added value indeed. He's really at his best when he talks about lore or when he's really into a game's mechanics and makes tutorials.

And his reviews/impressions are funny but I wouldn't rely entirely on them.

Yeah, I probably sounded overly harsh there. To be fair, I haven't watched a lot of his videos just the ones linked to from here. In the videos I've watched though, he always seems to talk about things that were revealed some time ago as if it's new news.

I'll have to check out some of his tutorials when I get a chance.

Yeah, I probably sounded overly harsh there. To be fair, I haven't watched a lot of his videos just the ones linked to from here. In the videos I've watched though, he always seems to talk about things that were revealed some time ago as if it's new news.

I'll have to check out some of his tutorials when I get a chance.

Oh I don't disagree with what you said, he's like that in some of his videos and so are a few others. If they do that for a living they can't easily turn down an opportunity to create more content.

I didn't know much about this game to be frank, comes from living under a rock ;)

Back
Top Bottom