Darkest Dungeon - Localization Plans

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Red Hook Studios has localized Darkest Dungeon for a number of languages.

Thanks again to Couch for tonight's news!

twitterbg3-768x384.jpg

“Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.”
H.P. Lovecraft

We are super excited to confirm that we will have the following languages implemented into the game for our January 19th launch!

• French
  • German
  • Spanish
  • Polish
  • Czech
  • Russian
  • Brazilian Portuguese
All of the above languages will have full translations for everything in the game, with the only exceptions being Voice-Over and hero names. Wayne June’s excellent narration will be shown via subtitles–sorry, it wasn’t feasible to find a Wayne in every region just yet! While we won’t be localizing the names, players will have easy access to the files containing all the possible names to modify however they wish.
More information.

More information.

I remember reading the game has had a few changes since I last checked on it, and not all were positive changes. So I wont be playing this game till it's fully released.

I remember reading the game has had a few changes since I last checked on it, and not all were positive changes. So I wont be playing this game till it's fully released.

Yeah, when you said there had been changes, I wasn't sure what you meant in particular?

Yeah, when you said there had been changes, I wasn't sure what you meant in particular?
The developer released an update a few months back that altered the game-play. As I recall reading negative Steam and Kickstarter comments from backers & Early buyers.

The developer released an update a few months back that altered the game-play. As I recall reading negative Steam and Kickstarter comments from backers & Early buyers.

Ouch. That's definitely something to keep in mind...

I really need to check it again. Haven't in a little while…All my characters are named after various Watchers :p…..The one named after myself died in the very first adventure, but quite a few watchers have survived long enough to develop some good/bad quirks heh.

Dartagnan is a Crusader who has developed the quirks of Egomania and Thickblooded….HiddenX is a Highwayman with Ablutomania and Alcoholism… Alrik a Kleptomaniac Grave Robber…. Aubrielle is a vestal with Hard Noggin, Gambling problems and Dark Temptation.

Well, some of those bad quirks have been cured and there are many others like Myrthos and Corwin who unfortunately died too young as well to develop many quirks. But somehow it made me smile to see some people ending with this or that quirk.

Omg, Galaad…lmao! That's actually really funny…and quite appropriate! (at least with the character named after me) And I'm honored that I'm in your game! *humble curtsy*

The updates Couch refers to were the ones that introduced corpses and heart attacks. They did not go over well with a loud minority of the Early Access crowd, because they had to rethink existing exploits and tactics that made some encounters too easy. Since DD is not supposed to be about cheesing it or going on a picnic, and since these new mechanics introduced interesting challenges, I personally did not mind them. However, due to negative Steam reviews by several users (enough to make a visible difference), Red Hook caved and made these features optional (you can switch them off in the game menu) in a later hotfix.

Now, after a few months, I still don't get what the fuss was all about. At any rate, corpses and several other - more hardcore - features (like combat delay penalties, or failable retreats) became optional, or were reworked completely and pushed in the patch that came out today along with a ton of usability and UI improvements.

I can only say that I have seen very few developers who listened to their customers so closely, while at the same time kept their vision relatively unaltered. They have had to navigate a lot of drama queens and whiners for sure, so they have my respect.

Even now the game is very close to being complete, and I can only recommend it if someone likes a steep learning curve and the roguelike aspect. The atmosphere and art style alone is worth it, but the gameplay is also fantastic if you don't mind a bit of repetition. However, DD is not what I'd call a RPG, more like a turn-based strategy roguelike.

I like their use of watercolor over pen and black ink media; it sets a nice mood and is very contrasty and distinctive.

The updates Couch refers to were the ones that introduced corpses and heart attacks. They did not go over well with a loud minority of the Early Access crowd, because they had to rethink existing exploits and tactics that made some encounters too easy. Since DD is not supposed to be about cheesing it or going on a picnic, and since these new mechanics introduced interesting challenges, I personally did not mind them. However, due to negative Steam reviews by several users (enough to make a visible difference), Red Hook caved and made these features optional (you can switch them off in the game menu) in a later hotfix.

Now, after a few months, I still don't get what the fuss was all about. At any rate, corpses and several other - more hardcore - features (like combat delay penalties, or failable retreats) became optional, or were reworked completely and pushed in the patch that came out today along with a ton of usability and UI improvements.

I can only say that I have seen very few developers who listened to their customers so closely, while at the same time kept their vision relatively unaltered. They have had to navigate a lot of drama queens and whiners for sure, so they have my respect.

Even now the game is very close to being complete, and I can only recommend it if someone likes a steep learning curve and the roguelike aspect. The atmosphere and art style alone is worth it, but the gameplay is also fantastic if you don't mind a bit of repetition. However, DD is not what I'd call a RPG, more like a turn-based strategy roguelike.

Yeah I agree with this....it is better then it was before the changes.

Thanks for the info Soulbane I donated to the K/S and want to wait till the full release. Sounds like the kind of game I will enjoy. The only thing that scares me is that I get attached to my characters in games. :)

I wouldn't worry about that much, Hastar. Sure, in the beginning, you'll lose some characters, but you can always start over, now with the knowledge on tactics and positioning. Also, you can't really lose, since you can always get new characters and do starter missions to level them up (you'll have to, because DD is more about switching your team around, so you'll need a pool of heroes).

Sometimes you'll get unlucky, yea, but after my first playthrough attempt (about 5-6 hours max) I restarted and haven't lost a single character since. Negative perks can be healed, stress and madness can be lifted, even if not very easily sometimes. The greatest chance of losing characters is in the very beginning, and when first going into veteran missions imho. Once you get the hang of it, DD is tense, but very doable. You just need to prepare and know the risks.

Alternatively, you can check some gameplay footage to learn basics, or boss tutorials, because they can be tricky on your own. I did that, and I don't feel ashamed. There's still room enough to fail. :)

Back
Top Bottom