Max Payne.

Acleacius

SasqWatch
Last edited:
Okay, here's one of the few shooters I did not finish due to sheer boredom. I'm afraid our tastes in FPSes are rather different, Ace :). But this project looks interesting.

Hehe, really you got bored with Max Payne?
It had a really fresh take on the action genre, in both story and gameplay, very cool music, sound effects and they created Bullet Time.
The game is loaded with Easter Eggs and all the self deprecating humor about actions games, made it very entertaining, not to mention the challenging gameplay. ;)

I did think it was great for an action game, but I must admit your the first person whom said they were bored. :)

Btw, this is not a FPS. :p

Jaz are you serious?!?

I'm usually not a big fan of shooters that use a 3rd person view, but the Max Payne games were excellent, definitely among the best of that limited genre. The graphics, controls, and especially the story were all top notch.

Unfortunately the impression that I get about this movie is that it's an extremely low budget film.

So make that a TPS! :)
Just not my cup of tea. And I didn't like bullet time. I didn't like it in Matrix, either, so go figure.
There were few games I found so tedious I couldn't bring myself to finish them, but Max Payne was one of them - the most prominent others coming to my mind right now were Baldur's Gate and Dungeon Siege.
There were others I couldn't finish due to either game difficulty (Cyberstorm: Coorp Wars) or lack of skill on my side (Dungeon Master 2) or general bugginess (Mortal Coil) or the sheer horror of it (look up the game 'Angst' if you dare... probably the worst game EVER), but the games named above just didn't pull me in. While I like Noir movies, I didn't like Max as a person. I wasn't interested in his story and I found his enemies visually unappealing - and appealing enemies can make or break a shooter for me.

The only 3rd person shooters I really liked (not that there were too many others) were Heretic 2 (which was too easy and too short for my taste) and Unreal Championship 2 (okay, so technically not a 3rd person shooter at all, but you had to go 3rd person if you decided to enter close combat).

I join the crowd... I loved both max payne games. Excellent gameplay served with great storyline and great music score.. At the time it felt like a breath of fresh air. Nowdays every game is having a bullet time etc, but max payne did it first. I also loved the artistic style they chosed, the comic book was a cool way to narrate the storyline and those long funny monologues of Max himself..They should him an oscar for that! :)

i enjoyed the 1st Max Payne very much but couldn't find the time to play the sequel. i was kept busy by one game or another. my loss, i guess..

Yes, same here, the first Max Payne was reasonable as a shooter :thumbsup: but things went a little wrong in Max Payne 2 - very aptly named "The Fall Of Max Payne" - installed it on a monday and finished on the friday.....what a rip-off ! - i heard many fans were angry, they expected more of the first game but got less....a lot less! :thumbsdown:

I really enjoyed playing Max Payne and then I tried the Kung Fu mod ... oh boy. :drool:

are both of these mods for the 1st Max Payne? sounds so cool that i might re-install and give them a try..

Yes, both are for MP 1.
The Kung Fu mod, completely removes weapons, iirc, so you might want to decide which one you want to use, unless you don't mind playing twice, it's really only 10-15 hour game.

If you like a challenge and don't want to start on easy mode, the default requires you to play though before you can have access to medium, which you need to complete to have access to hard mode.
So to solve this problem and start on the hard mode, you can edit the regestry like this;
WARNING; if you have never edited your Registry settings, then ignore this next bit of info. :)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Remedy Entertainment\Max Payne\Game Level
hell
nightmare
normal
timemode

Dword add's set to 1

What this means is you need to make a new Dword for "nightmare" and "hell" by setting each to "1", in your registry.

Yes, both are for MP 1.
The Kung Fu mod, completely removes weapons, iirc ...

It doesn't actually remove the weapons but it does remove your desire to use them since it is so much more fun to kick and punch the living daylights out of your opponents than it is to "just" shoot them. :biggrin:

The baseball bat, however, has been replaced with a fighting stick.

Baseball bat makes me think of Excalibat. NOW we're talking games I like... :p

Back
Top Bottom