Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Review @ Cinelinx

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Cinelinx reviewed Yakuza: Like a Dragon:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon

SEGA and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio's reboot of the widely popular Yakuza franchise is finally out on Xbox Series X, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a major departure from the mainline series we've known for almost two decades, but it stands on its own as a quirky, yet original epic. This is our review of Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

A Quirky Origin of the Next Great Yakuza Hero

Over the last 15+ years, SEGA and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio have been telling the story of Kazuma Kiryu and his life as a member of the Tojo Clan, one of the biggest Yakuza families in all of Japan. His arc comprised seven Yakuza titles, which also produced a few spin-off games. When his story seemingly ended at the end of Yakuza 6, many wondered if that was the end of the mainline franchise.

Thankfully, that would not be the case, as the publisher and studio announced that they would be moving the focus of the series off of Kiryu and onto a fresh cast of characters with Yakuza: Like a Dragon, most notably banished ex-Yakuza member Ichiban Kasuga.

The story of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, starts off on New Years Eve in the year 2000. At this point in time, Kasuga is a lowly grunt within the little-regarded Arakawa family, a small member of the Tojo Clan. Indebted to his patriarch, Kasuga works hard and does everything he can to bring honor to his family. His devotion is tested when he is asked to take the fall for the murder of a major Yakuza member who is part of a family ranked higher than the Arakawa family. Eager to prove himself, Kasuga accepts and finds himself banished from the Arakawa family and imprisoned for roughly 18 years.

Expecting a hero's welcome upon his release, Kasuga is greeted instead by the harsh reality that the world he knew 18 years ago is gone and sometimes you can't go back home. After a bloody reunion with his former family, Kasuga is dumped in the downtrodden city of Yokohama. With a new group of friends to call family and a city in need to call home, Kasuga presses the reboot button on his life to make the most of his situation in his new home.

The Yakuza series is regarded by many (including myself) as one of the greatest video game franchises of all time. The way it told the story of Kiryu and his associates and even his enemies was storytelling at its finest, almost like it belongs on HBO. With a new character becoming the face of the franchise, I didn't think Like a Dragon could live up to the majesty that was the original Yakuza series. Yet, somehow through all its crazy, quirkiness it does just that and more.

[...]

Should You Play It?

If you've never played a Yakuza game, you may think you might be out of loop with Yakuza: Like a Dragon. However, that couldn't be farther from the truth. While yes, veteran players will have a better contextual knowledge of the Tojo Clan and their various enemies and characters from previous games, but Like a Dragon does a good job of moving on without rehashing the past series. Instead, they focus on the new characters to let the player enjoy the new story, without needing to have played the previous games. Therefore, you should never feel out of the loop with Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

If turn-based style RPGs are your thing, Yakuza: Like a Dragon is 100% a must-play game. Even if they aren't and you just want to experience a sensational story or even just laugh and have a good time, this is absolutely the game for you.

I can't gush about this game enough. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is everything I wanted the new generation of the series to be. It's funny, heartfelt, brutal, badass, and wonderfully entertaining. Yakuza: Like a Dragon stands shoulder to shoulder with the best games that have been released this year.

Score: 5/5
More information.

Should You Play It?
After 50 hours of being obsessed with it, I say yes. 100% yes.
A few things I have to add.

You don't have to play any of previous Yakuza games to enjoy this one. There are references and cameos in this one, but is designed in a way you don't need to know it.

You can't buy handkerchiefs in any story. Go hobo mode and collect cans for those (yea, there's a minigame:)).

After a certain main quest, you will be able to switch class of any party member including the protagonist. After you switch a class you still remember moves and spells you got by leveling the previous one. Make sure to switch to Foreman first to unlock a certain musthave ability on it's 1st level, then switch to any class you want to try.

I did buy hero edition, but it is not needed at all - it adds a few classes (called jobs) and recruits for the management minigame. And I won the management without using those DLC recruits so there. Buy the edition vulgaris. Unless you just want to be a virtual rock star...

Speaking of management minigame, after it unlocks don't bother with it until you get all sidequests in chapter 9 done as these add you more recruits available to hire. And do exams! One of recruits you get only if you pass 10 exams.

There's more to write, but man... There is so much stuff to do in this game it's impossible to cut it short.

Bah I'm still playing Spellfoce 3 Fallen Gods and Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and if Cyberpunk 2077 isn't delayed again it will be my priority next month. So my plate is full.

I'll probably do a replay of the past games next year with this game.:(

I'm still waiting for my preorder to arrive. BestBuy promises delivery by November 24th, two full weeks after release day! I cannot cancel my preorder because it's been stuck "in process" since before release day. :wall: A few days late, I can understand, but 2 weeks? Apparently, YLaD Steelbook Edition is much more popular than expected, and has been backordered. They did issue me a small credit for my trouble, but that's the last time I preorder physical games from BB! :furious:

Back
Top Bottom