Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Pre-Orders Open

If it plays fine with KB+Mouse I will insta buy it.

*caveats… microtransactions.

It won't have microtransactions, from the F.A.Q.:

Q) What DLCs are included? Are there any plans for future DLCs?
A) Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for Steam is the complete package. There is no additional content to purchase beyond the base game! All previously released DLCs on the console, including pre-order exclusives and bonus content, are all baked into the game.

Q) Does the game feature Rift Crystal microtransaction like the console versions?
A) No. Microtransaction model has been removed completely for the PC version. Players can earn Rift Crystals through normal gameplay via loot drops, quest completion, and online Pawn rentals.

I always wanted to play this. :)

Any Dark Souls fans here think it's good?

I think it's good but as mentioned already the combat is nothing like dark souls. I'd say the combats not as good as DS but that would boil down to personal preference.

Honestly other than they're both hard i don't see many similarities. Well, except they're also both good IMO.:)

It's coming on PC. Of course it'll be moddable.
If sweetfxbased and nude mods don't appear the second day after the release expect a hurricane.

Well, why else would would anyone play on PC?
Maybe we'll even see a mod that adds respawning bears. Bears everywhere! :p

Looks cool but I almost loled at "an ancient evil awakens" in the trailer. The most worn out concept in fantasy CRPG/Books/Films ever?

And people always ask for more.

Saying that, the Dragon's Dogma story is a bit different from the norm.

Never heard about this game before but excited about reading all the positive comments about the console version. I just hope this is not another horrible console port game.
I actually skipped every mention of it till JDR posted about the GMG discount in Pricewatch thread.
No surprise for anyone - I believe consolegames that have no PC port are all rubbish as the lack of port suggests they can't sell to demanding (PC) audience. Either that or game publishers don't care for the $ they can earn, but that'd mean publishers are stupid which I don't think is possible in recent years where digital distribution took over.

Seems it's not yet another horrible port. 4K support and 60FPS aside, apparently you won't be buying falsely advertised port. M+K with key rebinding is supported. This is not Neptunia where you must buy a joystick.
btw, someone please remind me sometime to drop this joystick word when talking about nonstandard gadgets on PC, the more correct word would be - mushrooms.

Well, why else would would anyone play on PC?
Maybe we'll even see a mod that adds respawning bears. Bears everywhere! :p
Why would anyone play any game on PC:
- graphics, graphics and more graphics to whore on your 144Hz/1-2ms IPS monitor
- mods, mods and more mods to "enhance" the game, even if it's just nude mods
- game and savegame backups on external media not only optical or cloud
- instant game discussion on internet on the second monitor or with mere ALT+TAB
- 3rd party solutions to scrapped/unfinished data (Kotor2 for example)
- disabling depth of field and motion blur rubbish
- upcoming dx12 features that'll unlock use of integrated GPU whereas all CPU cores are unlocked by default

About mods that make trashmob respawns more frequent than by default, yes, such ones exist. For example there are such mods available for Fallout4 already.

Looks cool but I almost loled at "an ancient evil awakens" in the trailer. The most worn out concept in fantasy CRPG/Books/Films ever?
Apparently the story is okayish so don't expect anything mindblowing. Remember, the main platform was consoles where stories in games are the last thing on priority list.

-

That said, and regardless of what I've read, heard, seen or watched, I'm still not 100% conviced to buy the game. The reason? Dark Souls is mentioned too much while describing it.
I don't want Dark Souls clone. It doesn't seem like it is, but I'm just not sure, I mean why would everyone mention Dark Souls if it's a different game here.

When the ancient evil just stays sleeping its a pretty boring story.

I agree otherwise we might get something like Dragon Age II.:biggrin:

That said, and regardless of what I've read, heard, seen or watched, I'm still not 100% conviced to buy the game. The reason? Dark Souls is mentioned too much while describing it.
I don't want Dark Souls clone. It doesn't seem like it is, but I'm just not sure, I mean why would everyone mention Dark Souls if it's a different game here.

They mostly use Dark Souls to say Dragon's Dogma has good combat, but the combat between the two games isn't similar. Think of it has people telling others that apples taste as good as oranges because both are round fruits.

So it's not some "dark&gritty" rubbish with no light to cover imperfect visuals?
Still, is it grind2win like Dark Souls?

No. Microtransaction model has been removed completely for the PC version. Players can earn Rift Crystals through normal gameplay via loot drops, quest completion, and online Pawn rentals.

Thank God! I heard the DLC transactions were tied to a single save so if you restarted the game you would have to re-buy the dlc's. No wonder they didn't want to port this for such a long time because they were still milking the cow.

Thank God! I heard the DLC transactions were tied to a single save so if you restarted the game you would have to re-buy the dlc's.

What? Who in their right mind will agree to such a scam?

Where is Brumbek, the number I Capcom salesman? :p

Probably trying it, somewhere later down the road (of perdition)…any chance this thing will be moddable?

I'm HERE!! And I'm so excited I can't think straight, but what's new?!? ;)

Official FAQ on Steam says no modding. Respect to them for answering honestly. Then again, tweaks and other edits will surely work I'd think, just not big mods like mesh edits, landscape changes.

"A) Dragon’s Dogma does not officially provide mod functionality nor tools to enable community mods. This is primarily due to limitations on the proprietary MT Framework engine and MTF development tools used to create the game. Unfortunately, tools only exist as a full-on development suite, contains licensed middleware solutions, fonts, and assets that cannot be sub-licensed, and therefore commissioned for internal use only."

I always wanted to play this. :)

Any Dark Souls fans here think it's good?
I'm a huge Souls fan. I've played and beat each game 4+ times (Demon, Dark 1 & 2, Bloodborne). So I can absolutely say Dragon's Dogma combat is insanely good. The combat is similar to Souls in that you have to be precise, but Dragon's Dogma isn't nearly as unforgiving and hardcore.

Souls games are all about memorizing movements and patterns. Dogma isn't about that at all. The AI in Dogma is much better with most enemies having more dynamic responses, which lets you have more free flowing combat than Souls.

Edit: also all Souls players know the big boss fights boil down to chopping at the feet/tail of the large creatures, which is sort of boring. Dogma lets you actually climb the big bosses and chop them while they fly around in the air or flail about. It IS EPIC and Souls games really need this feature.

He probably peed himself in excitement watching that trailer and is now cleaning up. ;) :biggrin:

You know me so well! Actually, I'm house-trained and have been for at least a month or so…I forget. I'm so sorry for being excited about games. I need to be more dead inside and not let myself live, love, laugh…or so my therapist tells me. ;)

Never heard about this game before but excited about reading all the positive comments about the console version. I just hope this is not another horrible console port game.
I think it will be a great PC port. They've already released multiple videos, graphics options, and info. Plus several fairly trustworthy sites have played it on PC and said it was a great port including KB/M support. So all signs indicate very good things.

No! I've beat the game 5 times and know the story by heart. It isn't some generic stupid story. Please Wisdom, you need to know that trailers are made for the lowest common denominator. They want as many sales as possible, so they make the trailer insanely simple with silly tag lines. Marketing, sadly.

Trust me Wisdom. The story is NOT generic. It starts generic to sort of trick you. Then it gets into some totally crazy stuff. You NEED to finish the game for yourself. If you finish it in January and still think it's generic garbage…well, you won't. Period.

PS: the "ancient evil" talk is referring to the Dark Arisen expansion content, not even the main game. Very confusing actually. But bottom line, both the main story and Dark Arisen dungeon story are both very, VERY good.

Thank God! I heard the DLC transactions were tied to a single save so if you restarted the game you would have to re-buy the dlc's. No wonder they didn't want to port this for such a long time because they were still milking the cow.
I don't know how microtransactions worked on consoles (nor I actually care because, I mean, consoles), but are removed completely from PC version.
Which is good.

Single savegame however is also in PC version.

The reason behind it is a bit logical. Your sidekick data is stored in a cloud and any player can hire your sidekick in their game. Because this online sidekick depends on your game progress, it'd be "complicated" to determine automatically which one the game should store in case you operate with several savegames.

But I believe since the game is nonlinear openworld, singlesavegame is a big, huge, no.
Why? If it gets, for whatever reason, corrupted… You're done.
Does anyone here play MGS5? The best example. Singlesave openworld with still not fixed bug that can corrupt your savegame any time (the reason why I made MGS guide that contains a savegame after each main episode).
The only "cure" of copying someone else's savegame, but since the game isn't really linear, that savegame could be exactly what you did in the game, but also can be almost completely different at a point.

In a way, it's a plus because of sharing sidekick, in another a minus because things could go bad.
Whoever buys DD, just make sure you backup your savegame. Frequently.

Good reply. You have to read the "ancient evil awakens" in context with the posts above it. I wasnt bashing the story.

Dark Souls is mentioned too much while describing it.

I think the reason Dark Souls is brought up so much is because both these RPGs were made by big Japanese developers.

joxer said:
I'll bet for you it is :p

You know me so well! Actually, I'm house-trained and have been for at least a month or so…I forget. I'm so sorry for being excited about games. I need to be more dead inside and not let myself live, love, laugh…or so my therapist tells me. ;)

I was just joking, no offense meant. I like your enthusiasm. It's endearing. :)

I still have to try the game but I'll probably grab the PC port at some point. For now I still have my X360 copy sitting on my shelf. Though uhm, what's this about microtransactions on the consoles? First I hear about that?

I was just joking, no offense meant. I like your enthusiasm. It's endearing. :)

I still have to try the game but I'll probably grab the PC port at some point. For now I still have my X360 copy sitting on my shelf. Though uhm, what's this about microtransactions on the consoles? First I hear about that?

No problem! Well, honestly the microtransactions were always very minor and not intrusive at all. You could pay real money for Rift Crystals if you wanted to…but you got more than enough Rift Crystals by playing the game. They did add a few silly items like gold eyeglasses that cost insane amounts, but those were totally unimportant and only one NPC in the game sold them. Big respect to Capcom for removing the microtransactions on PC.

No it isn't. I don't know how many ways I can explain this. I put 200 hours into Dragon's Dogma and I never once did any grinding. I never once played sections over and over to level up or whatnot. The few final dungeons I've played over and over but that's because they have random Diablo-style loot.

The biggest compliment I can give Dragon's Dogma is I kept replaying the game over and over because it was simply fun. There's so many classes, abilities, loot, and crafting options that you can play for ages.

So no, there isn't the annoying grinding of the Souls games. You never go to sections that you have to replay 10 times over like Souls games. Dragon's Dogma has a save-anywhere system where you simply save and then reload if you die like regular games.

Back
Top Bottom