Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Perhaps the tile is only unannounced for the job offer. In other words, come work for us but we don't want to mention that Starfield has MMO elements :D
My money is on the next Fallout game. Excepted sometime in 2030.

Is BioMutant only combat ? I haven't seen anything but combat gameplay…

Sounds like it mostly centers around combat (it is an action RPG), but there is apparently some C&C in the form of branching paths.

I couldn't find the right thread so will put it here. Lost Eidolons was funded:

Holy smokes.

We made it! Thanks to the generosity of over 900 of you that had faith in a brand new studio with no prior repute, we managed to drum up over $45,000 to realize awesome new features for Lost Eidolons. We were already excited to bring Lost Eidolons to fans of the genre, but now we can allocate the needed resources to make Permadeath happen for the Early Access, and there's still time to reach the first stretch goal to gain the funds to develop the Hell mode difficulty.

By far though, the best part of this campaign was to gain so many supporters that know about our game and our studio. We always had the funds to make the base game, but it was nerving, uncertain, and outright distressing at times knowing that for many of us, we were starting from zero by forming Ocean Drive Studio. It's something that every new studio has to go through. Now not only do we have funds to make a few bonus features, but we have a community of backers and enthusiasts who want to see us succeed in creating amazing game experiences.

We want to become more. We want to become a studio that people can recognize for their games, so we're going to put our sweat and soul into making each game as great as it can be, starting with what we're hoping to be our flagship title that you're all supporting today, Lost Eidolons.

There are about 40 hours left in the campaign. If there was anyone who might've been on the fence about supporting our project, now's the time to let them know...

Edge of Eternity Walkthrough Trailer

The release on PC of Edge of Eternity is imminent. Discover the mechanics of the Edge of Eternity by Midgar Studio through this video commented by the voice actor of daryon: Micah Solusod
Medieval Dynasty - 3rd Place at Digital Dragons Indie Celebration
We are very happy and proud that we got nominated, and to come away with 3rd place prize is a cherry on the proverbial cake (it's nice to add this win to our last month's Dreamhack nomination)!
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Patch 8193.23
New Game Launcher - A new game launcher highlights some amazing community content that's free for everyone!

New Portraits - Added three new character portraits (sourced from the community portrait contest)

TrueType Font - Added full TrueType font (TTF) support throughout the game, for clearer and more adaptive text (as well as fractional/decimal point UI scaling)

Pathfinding Improvements - Smoother movement and navigation

Performance Improvements - Enjoy smoother gameplay with significant performance improvementsBug Fixes - Hundreds of bug fixes and polish features added

New Scripts -Added dozens of new script commands for use in custom servers, including improved scaling and transformation (lerping)

Water Graphics - Added realistic water reflections and refractions
Dark Envoy - Seven Pillars of RPG Wisdom - Developer Blog
Tower of Time was a successful experiment for our team, so we want to continue challenging RPG tropes in search of a new, modern identity for the genre.

We gathered a lot of feedback from ToT players and we are going forward with the knowledge that you gave us. Naturally, our next game is based on this feedback showing the impact of our community. We feel that Dark Envoy will be as much yours, as ours.

We want to keep pushing the boundaries of the classic RPG experience, but without abandoning what we love in it. Here are 7 examples of what we are working on to develop memorable and unique RPGs.
What Turns a Dungeon Into a Fun-geon - PC Gamer
It's funny how the word "dungeon" has evolved from its original meaning of a castle's keep, to a prison beneath a castle, to its game-specific meaning of an underground labyrinth menagerie where you might kill things and find treasure.

Dungeons have been part of roleplaying games since the beginning. Before it was even called Dungeons & Dragons, co-designer Dave Arneson ran a game about infiltrating a castle called Blackmoor by breaking in from underneath that cemented the idea underground locations were a central part of the experience.

But not always an exciting one. Sometimes, dungeon crawls are there for the sake of tradition, long joyless slogs like the Deep Roads of Dragon Age: Origins. Other games reinvent dungeons to make them more enjoyable, with varying degrees of success.
How Game Designers Handle Encumbrance - Gamasutra
It's common in a lot of survival and role-playing games to pick up an item, and suddenly find yourself glued to the floor and unable to move.

Encumbrance typically happens when the weight of your inventory exceeds the amount you can physically carry, and can be frustrating for a bunch of reasons. Not only can it result in a ton of annoying busywork, as you have to rifle through your inventory to find ways to lighten your load, but it can also feel counterintuitive if you are used to collecting everything in sight.

There are a number of reasons why developers still choose to include encumbrance in their games. Despite the issues, it can add a degree of authenticity to certain "survival" scenarios, shrink inventory sizes, and give you more meaningful decisions to make about what to take with you. Like many aspects of design, whether or not it is well received all depends on the execution, and how the mechanic ties into the overall theming and the other systems in place.

Last edited:
Almost forgot to share this today. :)

Bethesda Closed its Official forums - Market Research
Internet forums have been with us for many years, but the emergence of new tools and changes in user habits is leading some companies to modify their communication strategies. PlayStation closed its official forums a while ago, but it is not the only company that has made a similar decision. Bethesda has revealed that its official forums they will reach the sunset as of May 24, although users will have the option to save any entry or content during the next 30 days.

“After many years of nurturing a caring and passionate community on the official Bethesda forums, we have made the decision to close the forums at Bethesda.net.” North Americans remember that this space has always been “a great place for everyone”, since they have allowed debate on the video games they have released during these decades. “The forums have seen a lot of change over the years, we’ve enjoyed watching our community grow and evolve alongside Bethesda and all of our games.” However, now, “with the numerous forms of communication”That have emerged, they feel that it is time to say goodbye to forums and chat.

What will the closing process be like?

The closing process will begin, as we have already mentioned, on May 24. From that date, the forum will be in reading mode, so it will not be possible to participate, although the content will remain online for the next 30 days. After that date, On July 6, they will begin archiving the least popular categories.

When the forums close permanently, all users are invited to continue discussing through the servers of Discord Bethesda. They will also maintain their space on Reddit and social channels, how could it be otherwise. As for The Elder Scrolls Online community, these forums operate separately and will therefore remain open.

Last edited:
Spiderweb Software Jeff Vogel Starts a New Blog - First Entry
When someone starts yet another unnecessary blog in 2021, that person has a moral obligation to explain why anyone should give a shit what he says.

Hi. My name is Jeff Vogel. My wife and I run a tiny indie computer game company called Spiderweb Software. Indie means we don't have a publisher, or resources, or money, or hope. We're just humble toymakers.

But here's the thing. We've been doing it non-stop for 27 years, longer than pretty much anyone else. When you get a World Record in something as goofy as this, it's still a World Record.
Path of Exile - Game Mechanics Q&A
About a week ago, we asked for your questions about game mechanics to help the community understand some of the intricacies of Path of Exile! We've collected some of the questions and have answered them below!
Wigmund - Status & More Open World Update
Hello! With a little over a month remaining of the current quarter, we've thought to give a little bit of insight of the status of 'Wigmund' and the plans for the near future. Let's dive right into it!

Vogel is definitely a veteran.

I was never a fan of his games - and I'm also not a fan of the cyclical business-like approach to development that he's so obviously into.

Not that it's any different from what big publishers are doing, remaking their own stuff over and over again. Paradox, anyone? :)

But it must be a nice and comfortable position to be in, knowing that you have a dedicated audience that are big enough fans to replay the same games over and over, with minor changes beyond the visual upgrades.

I mean, I'm still trying to finish a project myself (I think I have 5 unfinished ones at this point) - and the "dream" is to have a way to ensure my own comfort and survival - and a dedicated audience like that would be sweet.

Though I personally hope I don't need to opt for the remake-path. It would quickly become just another job if I couldn't do something genuinely new for the most part.

Edge of Eternity Walkthrough Trailer

Sooooo much like an cliché !

Male character : Dark, gigantic sword, looking grim.
Female character : Colourful, staff, looking not so grim ( I currently lack the right words to say what I mean … ) …

When are we going to leave all that behind, finally ?

When the forums close permanently, all users are invited to continue discussing through the servers of Discord Bethesda.

Discord is much too fast. Thoughtfulness ? No, thanks.
I was never into chatting too much.

I use discord, yes, but not a lot. It's rather a tool for me, not a "social device".

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos DLC Trailer

The Ruins of Limis are ready for you, adventurers. And there's more! You can now get the Season Pass for The Amulet of Chaos, which includes the Ruins of Limis and two upcoming DLCs!
Torchlight III Free Spring Update - Steam

Anchored in a state between life and death, the Cursed Captain is the newest class to set sail in Torchlight III. This corporeal spectre can summon a ghostly crew of swashbucklers, and use the tools of the pirate trade to tackle combatants. Watch yer doubloons, the captain's on deck!
Drox Operative 2 Beta Begins & Full Launch Late 2021 - GOG & Steam
Drox Operative 2 is a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer.
Dying Light 2 Twitch Stream Thursday - Techland
Are you dying 2 know more?

Because we sure are dying 2 tell you more about Dying Light 2!
See you on @Twitch!

http://twitch.tv/techland
Nioh-like Final Fantasy spin-off for PS5 and PC? - Eurogamer
Square Enix is reportedly collaborating with Nioh developer Team Ninja on an action-focussed Final Fantasy spin-off for PS5 and PC titled Final Fantasy Origin.

Word on the project initially began circulating over the weekend on Reddit and Resetera, and well-connected journalist and former Kinda Funny co-host Imran Khan has now lent further credence to the rumours, citing sources able to corroborate the news in a story on Fanbyte.

Final Fantasy Origin is said to take place "somewhere in or adjacent to the world of the first Final Fantasy game on the NES" and will slot into the action sub-genre occupied by the likes of Team Ninja's own Nioh games and From Software's Souls series - albeit with a more accessible focus to appeal to a wider audience, according to Khan's sources.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to that Twitch stream for Dying Light 2. I hope it's actual footage and not just them talking about it.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - Dying 2 Know: Episode 1

Welcome to the first episode of Dying 2 Know, where we reveal the big news to the world! Do you want to see how we've created the world of Dying Light 2 Stay Human? Learn more about Aiden's goals and motivations? Know the release date?!
Dying Light 2 Stay Human - Official Gameplay Trailer

Delve into the newest gameplay of Dying Light 2. Here, we will give you a broader look at the cruel world of the Dark Ages, fearsome enemies, and things we will talk about in the upcoming months.
GRAVEN Enters Early Access - Steam

Why Early Access?

"Because we want to engage the community and get player feedback as soon as possible. We believe this will help us make GRAVEN the best game it can be. GRAVEN is a slowly unfolding world of exploration and player creativity, and Early Access allows us to curate those qualities for the full release."�
Mass Effect Shows How Bad Fallout 4's Dialogue System Was - Screenrant
Despite its branching dialogue, Mass Effect's voiced protagonist works quite well, serving as a reminder of how badly implemented Fallout 4's was.
Jennifer Hale On Next Mass Effect - GameInformer
I think a large portion of the community would agree with her when she told Game Informer with a resounding "yes!" that she'd like to see Commander Shepard back in some form. "I want Shepard back 100%," she told us. "I want to explore the relationships, you know, with Garrus, Thane, Liara - all of that!"

She took it a step further, saying: "I would like for FemShep to base able romance Tali, and I would like everyone to be able to romance Jack. I just want to just want to jump back into this story in any capacity. I love it so much, and I also want to be like Mark Meer (who voices the male Commander Shepard) where I can be this weird alien that nobody knows it's me."

I'm looking forward to that Twitch stream for Dying Light 2. I hope it's actual footage and not just them talking about it.
Shared two videos above and it will release on December 7th 2021.

Angelic Early Development Stage Gameplay Trailer

Early development stage gameplay introduction trailer of Angelic, a narrative turn-based strategy RPG, set in a dark, science fiction universe.

Angelic combines turn-based strategy combat with distinctive and colorful heroes you often see in narrative games. Angelic has an equal emphasis on storytelling and party-based RPG elements, all backed by a dark and compelling science-fiction setting in which you are often mesmerized by the complexity of the events happening around you.
Square Enix announces Dragon Quest XII & Dragon Quest III Remake - DSO
Square Enix has just announced two new Dragon Quest games. The first one is a brand new part in the series, Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate. The second DQ game is an HD 2D Remake of Dragon Quest III.

Although we don't know much about them, Square Enix and Epic confirmed that Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate will be using Unreal Engine 5.

Both of these games target a simultaneous worldwide release. However, we don't know when and on which platforms they will come out. Still, and since the latest DQ game is on PC, we can assume that both of them will, eventually, hit the PC.
Blizzard shuts down Diablo 2 Resurrected Offline - DSO
Diablo 2 modders released some interesting cool mods for the alpha build of Diablo 2 Resurrected. Two of the most interesting, and controversial ones, were D2ROffline and D2RModding. And, from the looks of it, Blizzard has shut both of them down.

D2ROffline allowed players to play the alpha build in offline mode. On the other hand, D2RModding went one step further and allowed gamers to play with characters that were not even available to the alpha build.
Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG - The devil is in the details
Dear subscribers! Once again, the latest issue of the post-apocalyptic CRONUS Weekly is on your screens. Can anyone hear us?

Employees, we’ve been telling you about the innovations under the Dome for over a week now, and guess what? We're still not done! Today we're going to tell you what else every employee under the Dome might encounter.

Horizon Forbidden West State of Play Gameplay Reveal

Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West, a deadly frontier that conceals mysterious new threats.
Wasteland 3: Steeltown Lowdown

Join The Battle of Steeltown Game Director David Rogers as he lays out a spoiler-free look at some of the Choice & Consequence coming in Wasteland 3's first narrative expansion releasing June 3.
Gamedec Developer Diary QA Q&A - Steam
We've asked our tireless QA representatives about their heroic job to keep Gamedec free of bugs and how their daily routine looks like. To make it easier to read, let's do it as a Q&A session.
Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms - Ways of Power: The Way of Arms
You'll need power and skills to survive in the world of Alaloth. To possess them however, you will first have to choose a Way of Power and a Profession. Today we'll take a deeper look into the Way of Arms, one of the three Ways of Power you'll be able to choose from.
Fallout 2 sequel Van Buren in Fallout: New Vegas Mod - Eurogamer
"The project's goal is to remake Van Buren for Fallout New Vegas," explains the mod creator. "Everything from the base game will be included in this remake. We will stay faithful to the original Van Buren story as much as possible, and in the future we plan to add in a large number of customized features. As of now, the project is still a [work in progress]." There are several prerequisites to running it, including a load of FNV mods, so to check your requirements, head to the official mod page.

Horizon Forbidden West looks fantastic. I love that they added underwater areas this time. Looking forward to the PC version.

The Iron Oath Update #59 Combat Improvements - Kickstarter

Hey everyone! As mentioned in our last update, we recently made a bunch of combat improvements and QoL changes that we're excited to share with you today. We're also in the process of adding some new combat environments such as the Tundra that you can see in the video below.
Expeditions: Rome Dev Diary #2 - Core Combat
Combat in Expeditions: Rome is predominantly expressed through turn-based tactical gameplay. While the legions fight the bigger battles for you on the world map, you and your elite team of praetorians will engage in tactical close-quarters fights on a hex-grid layout using a variety of skills and items.
Path of Exile Game Mechanics - Q&A, Part 2
Last week we answered some of the community's Game Mechanics questions and since we couldn't cover them all we decided to answer some more! Check them out below!
Knights of the Chalice II Update - Kickstarter
Hello everyone! Version 1.14 of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos is now available for download here for both Windows and macOS. The main changes are the new tutorial module, new dialogue options affecting the final battle, new character icons for NPC dialogue, new player-character tokens, and a bunch of new features including the display of a new menu when you press the Escape key.

Back
Top Bottom