Octopath Traveler - Coming to PC?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamingbolt reports that Octopath Traveler has been rated for PC by the Korean Board.

The rating also mentions Bandai Namco as the game's publisher, which also checks out- the company has often acted as distributor for Square Enix's titles in Korea. Given how successful Octopath Traveler was when it launched, and how Square Enix obviously wants to keep making games in its mould, it wouldn't be too surprising if they did indeed decide to expand the game's audiences to appeal to a larger number of people in order to see more sales.

[...]
More information.

This would be a very welcome surprise.

I played through Octopath earlier this year (a little late, I know), and it was a very refreshing experience. Certainly my top jRPG of 2019, perhaps even my top RPG in general for 2019.

The battle system, art style, and soundtrack are easily the best aspects of Octopath. The game can be properly challenging at times, particularly as you advance later in the game. The overworld is gorgeous and fantastically designed. Starting out can be a bit rough if you don't pick up Ophilia early on (she begins as the healer with light based magic attacks), but that's only based on what I've heard. She was my starting character, so I don't know how the others fare on their own.

The shield-break mechanic is fantastic. It encourages you to experiment and discover what an enemy's weakness is. This is also what drives the difficulty of the mid-late game monsters and bosses - you want to break their defenses before they pull off combos or ultimate attacks. Paired with a turn based battle system, this ends up working really, really well against the tougher foes as you devise strategies in a chess-like manner to take them down.

I can recall a fight with a massive wolf that absolutely murdered my team. I failed constantly and had to rethink my plan for felling the beast. It ended up calling for help and summoning smaller wolves so often that my team became overrun pretty quickly. It was difficult to fend off the onslaught of claw attacks with status effects.

Then there was another battle with one of the optional bosses which unlocks a secret job, a more advanced "class" in the game that offers a huge range of potential for any designated character (an engaging aspect of Octopath because you'll want to experiment with each job to see which synergizes well with each character). Although the boss didn't summon help during the fight, the nonstop barrage of dark/light attacks was too much for my team to handle, and I'd sometimes return after a few levels and still fail. Gearing my team to protect against her attacks and leveling a bit more finally netted me a win in the end, and it was incredibly rewarding.

I really enjoyed the characters and their struggles, but I do have two main complaints.

For one, the characters aren't intertwined with one another. Their journeys don't culminate into a grand finale that leads them to a common struggle. Instead, everyone has their own self contained story with a designated antagonist. This isn't a bad thing, but it feels a little disconnected at times because you sometimes wonder why your party is traveling together at all. Party members don't sympathize with what someone is going through, they're just along for the ride. They might make occasional dialogue, but that's it. Additionally, you'd expect certain characters in your party to object to situations that they normally should, but they don't.

"I'm an honorable knight and do not belong in a ragtag gang of thieves. Oh, you're a thief? Well, I can understand why you do what you do."

Secondly, dungeons and stories are formulaic almost to an extreme. Very few side quests lead to dungeons which merit reason for you being there. Any dungeon not related to a side quest or story related mission typically contains X number of chests with X design, and possibly an optional boss at the end. Then you're done. It's easy to predict when you're close to the end, because in a weird way they almost always take you the same amount of time to finish because they're structured so identically.

Stories themselves are very samey in this regard as well. Each character has four "chapters". It usually goes like this:

Dialogue-->Explore town/city-->Dialogue-->Boss fight

My problem with this is that it's repeated so often. Almost every chapter for every character uses this as a baseline for their story structure, and much like what I mentioned earlier about dungeons, you'll pick up on this pretty quickly. You always know what to expect, and that's a shame.

Regardless of these two criticisms, I adored the game. The battle mechanics provided me with an immense amount of fun. I am hoping for an Octopath Traveler 2 at some point. If that happens, I'd like to see everyone's stories interweave together in some way, and have characters react to certain situations based on their persona. Additionally, I'd like to see more variety in dungeons. Give us reason to explore them, and don't rely on a set schematic or layout for all of them.

Having said all that, I'd be elated to see this come to PC. I think if you're even remotely interested in jRPGs, you need to experience this game.

Last edited:
Ragnaris' post sums up my experience with the game almost word for word. I, too, played it during Jan-March, and found it excellent, but have exactly the same criticisms. It was way too forumaliac, but the mechanics and battle systems carried it through beautifully.

Ragnaris - the early game scales with party size, so it is quite manageable without Ophilia, but picking up her or Alfic sooner rather than later is a good plan. They are (I think) spaced about 4 apart, meaning that you'd likely run into one or other as part of your first-four. Also, healing potions are fairly affordable/effective in the early stages.

I played as Therion who I found to be a power-house. I'm a completionist, so wanted my main guy to be able to open chests etc. I then picked up Alfric (first town I found) then went back and went clockwise round.

That is an incredibly weird name for a game, in my opinion. I know nothing about it so I'll wait on reviews when it's released for the computer, should that happen.

Good news if true as it was a hit on the Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:
So it's a Nintendo exclusive? That would explain why I've never heard of it.

Nintendo hasn't been worth paying much attention to in a long time.

So it's a Nintendo exclusive? That would explain why I've never heard of it.

Nintendo hasn't been worth paying much attention to in a long time.
Yep the Nintendo Switch which is getting a lot of JRPG's lately.

That is an incredibly weird name for a game, in my opinion. I know nothing about it so I'll wait on reviews when it's released for the computer, should that happen.

I'm guessing its some sort of Buddhist reference. A less awkward translation may be, Journey of the Eightfold Path

Back
Top Bottom