Consortium: The Tower - Alpha 1.7

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Consortium: The Tower has reached Alpha 1.7 and the latest update details the additions and changes.

Early Access ALPHA 1.7 - Now with more Norwegians!

16 Feb @ 1:24pm - iDGi
Greetings Seekers,

We have just pushed Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.7 live. The complete list of the changes made can be found HERE.

We're working on many other things in addition to The Tower. So to reward everyone's ongoing patience, we have decided to give everyone access to two brand new Act 2 levels - the rather large OfficeHub5, and the very unique SideVents. Both require some stalwart exploration to uncover...can you find them?

While these two new levels are still relatively early, they are at a stage where we would benefit from additional feedback and comments, so as always please swing by Discord.[discord.gg] and let us know if you have anything to report. Thank-you!

In addition, there are now over 350 new lines of V.O dialog in the game - the hotel mercs are robots no more! We proudly welcome Magnus Tranum and Anders Tranum to the cast of The Tower. This is a big step towards replacing all of the "robot voices" in the game.

Finally, we wanted to call everyone's attention to a really cool video about immersive sims that Logitech G put out a few months ago.

We loved what they said about our project.

We hope you enjoy the changes/additions,

-iDGi
More information.

Glad to see an update as they went quiet for over six months.

They are pretty active on the Discord.

If you can't be bothered with checking the official forum (what the Discord is), I'm not sure you are really interested in the game.

Steam forums aren't that far away from social media as far as I'm concerned.

Say whatever you want but when a developer cant update steam, its Fig page or the games webpage/non discord forum with news, it's says more about them then me.

They used to send out emails with news updates but many developers have stopped.

Yeah, Discord is just a chatroom really, and a lot discussion around many projects seems to being moving that way, and away from forums. It's not all good, as the chatroom works well for people that are super-involved in the project, but the conversations are far less accessible to newcomers without the structure of a forum.

Yeah, Discord is just a chatroom really, and a lot discussion around many projects seems to being moving that way, and away from forums. It's not all good, as the chatroom works well for people that are super-involved in the project, but the conversations are far less accessible to newcomers without the structure of a forum.
Discord reminds me of the old IRC days just more modernized. I hated using that program as you had to know all the commands to type just to talk to someone.:(

Yeah, IRC has always been popular with techies, and served its purpose for those core groups of people. Discord is like a more accessible version, which means you get a much larger clique of people constantly chatting, while the tumbleweeds blow the through the forum, seeming quite uninteresting to visitors.

It has pretty much the same structure as a forum if set up for it. Each channels has its own subject and you can search older posts, browse them, it keep track of where you were at, important stuff is pinned, etc. Only a reply button is missing as a default feature, but you can install a bot to support it or do it manually.

Outside the old farts here, who I'm really starting to wonder if they actually still play video games at this point, nobody has issues joining those discord discussions and most of those posters are newcomers… ;)

Well I play many video games for your reference. I just don't follow or play every one. As most modern games are not appealing to me so I stick with Strategy and RPG games.

I'll occasionally play an Assassin Creed or Far Cry game but that about it. So bottom line I replay more older games then I play new games nowadays. So yes I'm an old-timer.

It has pretty much the same structure as a forum if set up for it. Each channels has its own subject and you can search older posts, browse them, it keep track of where you were at, important stuff is pinned, etc. Only a reply button is missing as a default feature, but you can install a bot to support it or do it manually.

Outside the old farts here, who I'm really starting to wonder if they actually still play video games at this point, nobody has issues joining those discord discussions and most of those posters are newcomers… ;)

No, there's very little organisational structure on Discord - it's a chatroom, with different channels for different subjects, but within those it's one long stream. Unless I've missed something, there is no unit of organisation equivalent to a forum post on a specific topic. It's more like having one long post in each subforum.

I doubt if the "old farts" will have trouble joining the chats if they so choose, but in terms of browsing the body of information in the community, I think it's far from optimal.

No, there's very little organisational structure on Discord - it's a chatroom, with different channels for different subjects, but within those it's one long stream. Unless I've missed something, there is no unit of organisation equivalent to a forum post on a specific topic. It's more like having one long post in each subforum.

Going by what you are saying there, the only discord server you ever visited was a server with just a general channel which probably mean you never joined one because most discord server hide their other channels unless you join them. That's no different than going into a general thread in a forum.

There is an organisation equivalent to a forum post on a specific topic on Discord. You can edit and delete your own posts, you can search them (and the output is so much better than forum software search result), posts can be pinned at the top of the channel (which an easy to access button) to. Members can have different colors or tags to easily spot their posts too.

How specific channel are is left to the server admin and what you seems to have an issue with.

Going by what you are saying there, the only discord server you ever visited was a server with just a general channel which probably mean you never joined one because most discord server hide their other channels unless you join them. That's no different than going into a general thread in a forum.

There is an organisation equivalent to a forum post on a specific topic on Discord. You can edit and delete your own posts, you can search them (and the output is so much better than forum software search result), posts can be pinned at the top of the channel (which an easy to access button) to. Members can have different colors or tags to easily spot their posts too.

How specific channel are is left to the server admin and what you seems to have an issue with.

I'm not sure why you assume I haven't joined any Discords, based on what I said. I monitor a few of them, as they're becoming popular for several open source projects that I follow. I understand that there are several channels, which is why I said it's like having one thread per subforum. So I think you miss my point - I'm not saying there is no organisation, just that it's far less granular, and there is no discrete unit for separating specific conversations within the pre-established topic channels.

And I didn't say this was bad - I specifically said that it's just not all good. It's just a question of benefits and drawbacks. My position is that it's a great tool for the dev team and people closely involved, that stay on top of it, but that it tends to draw people away from forum posting, which I think has a downside in terms of discoverability of information.

Back
Top Bottom